“Burns Collogne”
Review of BURNS Art Cologne

BURNS Art Cologne
Ranked #61 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 4 September 2013

friendly, ez, good hotel. all we needed for a 5 day stay. all you need close by, Fair around the corner, Rhein River just 10 mins. walking. Dwntwn 2 stops with metro, Köln Zoo just a stonestrow away, graet!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for BURNS Art Cologne

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed at the 4* building, which is full of art. In our opinion, the colours and art were not coordinated and it just wasn't our taste. We do liked the modern touch with the concrete walls and the well placed lights.

The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, the breakfast is good value for money. It's a 5-minute walk to the Messe, but a bit far from the city centre.

Overall, we liked the hotel and would recommend it to other people.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Great. Hotel not to far from Christmas markets, food was excellent and rates were very very reasonable , I would stay again , shame you don't get tea and coffee in your rooms , however you could get it at the bar

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2013

been @ Burns for just one nite while travelling for job
5mins walking from Messe north entrance, so definitely great for Messe attendant; I saw as well an S line was near but on the opposite direction so I didn't check

crew was gentle and familiar, from other feedbacks I expected wifi connection to be paid separately while I got 24H access to login from my iphone, maybe they changed their tariff or it was included in my room rate

room was clean and well furnished with a kingsize bed
liked the free samples including flips / sewing kit / nails kit / shoecare kit

breakfast as well was ok and continental even if I usually have just some sweets in the morning, I saw as well scrambled eggs and bacon were offered

saw about free parking but I did not enjoy

didn't have any dinner due to weakness but while walking to the hotel I didn't see any restaurant or club: it's definitely on a residential area so I'm afraid you should move downtown to get some restaurants

while walking to the hotel I passed in front on a building supposed to be an art centre: I'd definitely stepped into and check if I had some spare time

definitely suggested

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Travellers who love to stay in a modern, high-quality hotel, without the fuzz of fancy hotel bars and expensive restaurant adjacent, and who do not mind to stay 3 stations away from the heart of town will love this hotel. The 4* building offers art, modern and well equipt rooms with space enough to feel comfortable. The 3* main building is comfortabel and modern as well, with just some smaller rooms and and more rooms per floor. The breakfast buffet is great value for 11 EUR (as per Jan 2013), WiFi is free and although there is no stylish hotel bar you can enjoy a fresh beer or a good glas of wine. The hotel has no restaurant so freshly baked pizza is the only option for the hungry. The tram is just a 3-minute walk away and will bring you within 1 station (1 minute) to the exhibition center, 2 stops (2 minutes) to Lanxess arena and within 5 stops in the middle of town. Enjoy the quiet surrounding of the hotel - sleeping so close to town with open windows in really comfortable beds/rooms makes this hotel for me THE choice when being in Cologne.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Because of the great experience at Burns Düsseldorf a year earlier (see my raving review of that hotel), we decided to go to a Burns hotel again, this time in Cologne. While the Cologne branch is not a bad place to stay, and I certainly wouldn't mind staying here again, it just didn't meet up to all expectations.

Rooms are OK, although a bit cold in terms of decorations. I understand that the bare concrete is part of the "design" idea, but it doesn't help in terms of creating a cosy room. Room amenities are fine, with a good bed, good shower, and a minibar. Buffet breakfast is superb; do not skip, it certainly gets the engine started for the day. It's strange that a four-star hotel doesn't avail of a swimming pool.

Our package included a bottle of sparkling wine and tickets for a nearby sauna (Claudius Therme); this package turned out to be a great value for money. As mentioned, I wouln't mind returning here, but then again, I wouldn't go out of the way to stay here (as opposed to Burns Düsseldorf).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The hotel is located in a very plain residential/business area with a 5min drive or 15 min walking distance to the Cologne fair grounds.Walking downtown may take a good while, but you can take a Taxi (app. 15 €) or public transport. So, if you actually are on a private city trip, you might want to choose somewhere nearer to the action in the old town and with a nicer view.

While I am generally fond of designer hotels, I did not like my room much: While claiming 4 stars, it felt like a standard uneventful hotel room with a (fake?) wooden floor without rugs. No flatscreen.

The hotel offers no amenities whatsoever, nor gym or spa, Wifi is 7 Euros per day, which I find unacceptable for a business spot. How this place classifies four stars in Germany, is beyond me anyway. The breakfast buffet was ok if you were early enough (and the hotel is fully booked!): Special treats like salmon are not always restocked, and some colleagues, who came one day in advance a show with only a few rooms taken in the hotel, had a very basic breakfast selection on their first day.

I did not feel the staff was very helpful: When I complained at check-out, that my rooms smelled heavily with old smoke, the girl just shrugged it off, and did not even bother to apologize, when another customer paying next to me also said the same thing...

I was not thrilled, really. We paid 150 €+ while a show, which is way to much for a standard hotel like this. At regular prices or even a special offer you might want to give it a shot if you only need a place to sleep for a night or two in Cologne and don´t expect too much.

Room Tip: Don´t take one overlooking the entrance – residents my be very loud at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business