“Food ok, Service horrendous”

Ristorante Il Carpaccio
Ranked #547 of 2,471 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$24 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Neustadt-Süd
Description: "Nestled between the greenery of Cologne's Stadtgarten and the Rhine is Il Carpaccio, an Italian restaurant well respected by everyone who regularly visits (and everyone who visits becomes a regular). A comfortable dining room with homely ambience completed by ruffled blinds and immaculate white tablecloths is complimented by cherub laden Italianite artworks. And speaking of Italianite artworks, the menu...Featuring favourite Italian dishes everyone is catered for by the perfectionist chef who has ensured that Germany meets the Beautiful Country. Il Carpaccio favourites include spaghetti with clams and courgette, beautiful rustic dishes with real South European flavour while desserts are indulgent and freshly prepared in traditional style. "
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel recommended this Italian restaurants as 'one of the best in town' - and in walking distance.
We got the last table - remember there was a fair in town - and a little pep talk. Not cutlery, no napkins, no bread or anything else to munch. After 15 min we ordered our meals, a truffled pasta from the Parmiggiano cheese wheel and fish for both. My wife ordered a local white, I ordered an Italian red, both quite ok.
After 30min no food, after 45 min we got nervous, my wife upset. In the meantime, we had noticed that the chef for the Italian cuisine restaurant was Indian, his wife chaperoning the staff consisting of middle Eastern staff, the nephew the barman. No one speaks Italian in this restaurant!.

After one hour we finally get the pasta, which is good.Then more waiting - and finally after 90 min my fish comes, but by now my wife is so ticked off, she leaves the restaurant.
I 'swallow' the fish in a hurry, pay the bill and follow her.
Back at the hotel my wife orders room service.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

Sometimes an evening is magic. Conference weary, jet lagged and hungry, I walked into Cologne's Ristorante Il Carpaccio on the recommendation of the concierge at my hotel when I asked for a good place to go alone. They greeted me like family and even though their small place was clearly booked full, they found a place for me at a small table at the bar. From there I was entertained for the evening watching four people work in a kitchen not much bigger than my closet. The food was sublime. Their antipasti mista was beautifully presented. Be sure to try the octopus carpaccio; I never liked octopus till I tasted this. The pasta signature dish prepared table side in a large round of parmesan is mother's love in a bowl. This is definitely a place to relax for leisurely dining. Dessert took a long time to arrive, (did I mention the kitchen was small and busy?) but when it did, it came in two courses: first a delicate semi freddo, then a luscious chocolate souffle. When I left, i was embraced by the energetic maitresse d' , who was alos the one who prepared my pasta. It was lovely evening for a lonely traveller! Also a good place for romance: I observe several couples holding hands across their tables.

7  Thank ANNE K
Reviewed 13 March 2013

In a city that is not especially notable for its cuisine, Il Carpaccio proved to be a particular lowlight.

The real problem was that food did not emerge from the kitchen on a timely basis. We waited a full hour between starters and the main course. We all ordered pasta and concluded that our pasta would have been unacceptable in the most pedestrian of home kitchens. Pasta was fatally overcooked and sauces were undistinguished. The antipasti were acceptable.

This is a fairly expensive restaurant with ambitious pretensions but largely disappointing and careless execution.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

As the other reviewer said, slightly off the beaten but well worth it. Food was terrific and service friendly. Would recomend it highly.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

In a city known mostly for restaurants catering to business people visiting the Koln Messe, Il Carpaccio is a gem, though slightly off the beat and path. Don't miss the pasta cooked table side with truffels (which is off the charts...and probably three days worth of calories, and WORTH IT). But leave plenty of time for your meal, as the service can be rather slow and that can make your business dinner slightly awkward and drag longer than it should, as can finding cabs to get back into the main part of the city. But when you do get back to your hotel, you'll have dreams about that pasta!!!

5  Thank topshelfplease