“very nice hostel, BUT open your eyes to the reception”
Review of A&O Koln Neumarkt

A&O Koln Neumarkt
Bologna, Italy
“very nice hostel, BUT open your eyes to the reception”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hostel is new, very nice and clean, BUT I had two problems with the reception.
I booked two nights in advance, and after one day staying there I booked two more nights, and after that one more again. Every time, even if I stayed always in the same room, I paid a different price and they couldn't explain why. In addition, my roommate paid much more than me.
In the hostel details there's written they have a kitchen, BUT the first time I went to the reception asking if the kitchen was available for use, the staff told me that I could use it but I had to ask for the key because normally the door is closed. When I came back with my grocery shopping and I asked for the key, another girl on shift told me the kitchen was available only for the groups (??!!??). No explanation about the previous answer of her colleague. I had to throw away my stuffs.
It's a shame, considering that it's a very nice hostel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We paid about £38 a night for a private double room in this place and it really was good value. Our room was large and clean, nothing fancy but it did the job. If you're considering walking from the train station then go for it, it's only about a 20 - 25 minute walk and we managed just fine with large backpacks. The hostel bar is also good, even though when we were there all the other guests were sat on laptops rather than socialising. I think that's quite sad for a hostel. The fact that free wifi is only available downstairs and not in the rooms possibly contributed towards this: my only gripe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is the first time I've stayed in a hostel/hotel. Though my hotel room had very limited amenities I did really enjoy the community ones. They had a small store open 24 hours and the bar was very cheap since it catered to students. Also, the had a laundry machine in the basement which was a life saver.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After waiting almost 20 minute for the check in I made it. Staff is nice (They must consider a bit more having two or three people in the reception, just in the rush time (check in starting time). I got a room sheairng with 6, good price, really clean, despite of the fact the room in this case was quite small. The 137 to be more specific. In general was a good time.. One bad experience was when I came back around 23:30 I found that one German girl took my stuffs and put them in another bed because she wanted to be in the same bed than her friend. I literrally got freaking angry, just as a general comment POPLE NEEDS TO KNOW HOW TO RESPECT OTHERS SPACE.

Room Tip: Probably the room series like 137, 237, 337, 447, 557 which I guess are in the same position than t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I arrived late on Saturday night, and it took a while to get checked in…there was a lot of pre-going out drinking going on in the lobby bar, so it was quite noisy. The rooms are plain and functional, with clean and tidy bathrooms. The hostel is a little far from the city centre (about a 15 min to the cathedral), but not far from the u-bhan, and easy to get to from the airport.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very clean and safe with security guards patrolling corridors at night to keep down the noise. Would recommend it. The food is good and the staff are friendly and helpful. The shower was amazingly powerful and hot, better than some hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We thoroughly loved our stay at this A & O. Very clean !!! very friendly staff & for an additional 6.00 Euro we had an excellent breakfast also. There are main streets walking distance. One for shopping & a few restaurants. Bus and street car service close by where you can connect to go into the Cathedral area. There is an excellent Thai restaurant nearby also. We visited the Dom (Cathedral), Lindt Chocolate Factory in this town. We took a a little train tour of the town which we took from outside the Cathedral. Very nice !

Room Tip: Lovely clean large hotel, elevators, and laundry is available. Please note that when travelling wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family