“Close up view of the River-Servers leave a lot to be desired, food blah.”
Review of EX Vertretung

EX Vertretung
Ranked #258 of 2,698 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Had dinner here. Ordered the Matjes, Sauerbraten and for the kiddo Fish Sticks. The Matjes was lacking the marinated vinegar taste that is standard for this fare, the pan fried tomatoes that came with it were good though. The Sauerbraten was overcooked and dry, unless you only ate the very middle of it. The Potato dumplings that came with it, were not cooked enough by contrast. You could taste the potato particle mix (used to make them) when you bit into them. Fish Sticks as you would expect of most kids meals in most places were mainly breading, not a lot of Fish in them. The service is what got me. We sat, a server came right away, and then was put out when I told him I needed a second to look over the drink menu. About 15 minutes later an entirely new server came to check on on our table, we ordered drinks and also the food from her. She seemed friendlier, but as has been noted most of this trip, once they drop the food off, they more or less wash their hands of you. This restaurant is no exception. You have to flag them down to get drink refills, and also to pay. The seating in this restaurant is also pretty tight, so if you are a non-smoker, be sure you're not downwind from the chain-smoking that goes on. We were unfortunate enough to be in just such a spot, and that combined with the mediocre quality of the food, and dump food off and run service, all but killed this dinner experience for us. I'd pick a smaller place just across the way, it looked much nicer there, but it was closed Mondays.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

My partner and I just ate here. I had the potato soup. It tasted different from any I've had, as though mustard was in it. After a few bites I got use to it and liked it. I also ordered what I thought was a small plate of ham, with a side of onion. Well, it was something like flat bread, with ham and onion. It doesn't matter, it was delicious and part of the fun of ordering food outside of your native country. My partner ordered beef, a potato ball ( not really sure how it is made), and sauerkraut. He thought the beef was a bit overcooked, but liked the sauce and the sides. I tasted the sauerkraut, and thought it was the best I've ever tried. It was sweet, so some people might like it more sour. I like the peaceful setting by the river.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Amazing place to have a dinner, especially in their beer garden (they offer blankets if it's getting colder). I don't understand complains about the service - the waiters were fast and English-speaking. The menu was in English. Nice kolsh, very good typical German sausage, and great potato soup! Nice flame cakes (good as a aperitif or beer snack). We could pay by credit card.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Went there following an advice of a guide, really satisfied! The first soup of the menu is simply awesome, you HAVE to try it. Waiters are really kind and if you like they can suggest you something.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

massive portions of hearty German fare, good beer. We were a party of 12 and they looked after us exceptionally well. Would reccomend the schnitzels or the steaks . Local Kolsch very good , location on the river was very convenient also very close to the DOM