“Great Hotel”

Ranked #29 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from 7 August. It was a great hotel in a very convenient location - just 10 minutes from the city centre. The hotel was modern, white, contemporary and minimalist. The rooms were clean and had a superb wet room. The staff were very helpful and always had a smile to greet guests.

Would definitely stay again but one issue was the restaurant. The "fusion" food just doesn't work by mixing Chino and Latin food....so eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: All rooms were good and well sound-proofed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilipSkitch, General Manager at art'otel cologne, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your great review of the hotel. Yu are very kind in your comments, and I am interested that our Chino Latino concept did not seem to work for you.

If you have time to call me or to write to mae about your feed back, I would be really interested to hear your critique! We have 3 Chino Latino restaurnats in our company now, and generally the style is very well received.

Best wishes, and thanks again.

Philip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Excellent service and extremely smiley, happy staff which is in my opinion 5 star standard. excellent location for the old city, very spacious clean modern standard rooms which have a socket by the bed so I can have my mobile charging next to
me overnight.
Only point is my room had a yellow shaded window which gives everything, including me a shade of yellow! so I felt more comfortable to keep the curtains closed and artificial lights on. But this is an arty hotel , so the architect was probably concentrating on the ambience of the rooms.
The service overall is worth a
Repeat visit i will make in a couple of months time.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your fabulous review of the hotel. As you are aware we have rose tinted windows, greeny-yellow, blue, and clear glass. If you would like to let us know in advance I am sure you can choose your colour!

We all look forward to seeing you again in Sunny Cologne soon.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Months in advance, I booked a canal view room with two twin beds for which I paid extra. When my sister and I arrived, we were put in a noisy, street view room. I wish I could post the photos I took of this horrible place. The single water glass had a very visible split in it. Both coffee mugs had multiple chips, tea bags with no way to heat the water. Wide lines of black mold growing in the shower drain, multiple food stains all over the carpet and walls, and on and on! We had to drink two glasses of wine just to be able to sleep in that disgusting room. Our trip was saved by moving to the Maritim Hotel the next morning. If I could have left this hovel for the Maritim immediately, I would have.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deborah D
PhilipSkitch, General Manager at art'otel cologne, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I am so sorry about the lack of view, and the housekeeping defects. As you will see from the other comments this year, it is unusual to have so many things go wrong. I am really embarassed and have taken steps to ensure matters are rectified in the room you occupied.

I hope you will contact me when you come to Cologne again, and I would be delighted to show you our normal standards!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 1 August 2013

art'otel has an interesting concept. The building is modern, trendy building from outside.

Inside, it is very sophisticated, placing the emphasis on art and modern architecture. Great.

But that does not make a great hotel.

First of all, the hotel is dirty. Just look at my pics of the windows! Crazy. In the room, the carpet is very dirty with lots of coffee spots, etc... The walls also have many spots. It is not clean.

Second of all, Wifi did not work in our room. Technician came and could not do anything. So front desk told us we need to change rooms as the whole 3rd floor did not have wifi. They have had complaints of 3 other clients. They know they need to reboot the router / server on the 3rd floor, but they did not know how to do it. So we had to change rooms (not fun with all the luggage).

Also, Wifi is free but very slow. If you want faster Wifi, then it's not free. You need to fork out 5€.

One of the two guys at the reception was quite rude and unfriendly.

Staff seemed not very professional.

Bottom line: interesting concept let down by poor management and poor cleanness.

We will never go again to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry about the windows. As you would have possibly seen, we had a crew of abseilers cleaning the sides of the building, ánd last week we had an incredibly big rain storm that blasted the reiver side with pelting rain, and left residue on the windows. We will have this all cleaned shortly.

I am sorry the carpet was dirty, and the white and grey carpet doews show the slightest stain I know, and we have a small army of cleaners going room by room cleaning them. I am sorry for your inconveninece.
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 1 August 2013

on the photos it looks much better than it is. The main point I would like to stress for - it is for young people, students, and it is very dirty ( especially floor carpet). At morning Lady is knocking your door and checking the mini bar ( I have nevr seen this anywhere). Especcially you feel "great" if you r not undressed. I would say- not recommended.

Room Tip: Rhine view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Yes although we are one of the only hotels in Cologne to offer free Internet to our guests, it is required to limit the bandwidth so all guests get fair use. I have noted most hotels in Cologne charge two or three times what we charge for High Speed access.

I am presantly seeking a new supplier who can increase the base speed and offer a good level of customer support, as I know this is important and a common hotel problem in Germany.

Thanks again for your feedback
Johnstone
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Great location for all the city, even the city tour bus stops right outside hotel. Chocolate factory is a must too and the local beer garden.
Thought the hotel could make more use of it's terrace even during the day as fab location.
Only comment on arrival 1 mug for two folk, 2 mugs supplied for next day, then two mugs gone and beer glasses gone. defo trying to keep us "dry" in more ways than one. (great coffee machine, just had to use small glasses for coffee)
Very expensive breakfast Euro's 20 p person a bit OTT.

Room Tip: river view but you pay extra.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I apologise that there were problems with the cups and glasses in the rooms last week. This has now been rectified.

Thanks for your feedback.
Oxford
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The location of this hotel made it very easy to find - being right beside the river and almost next to the Chocolate Factory. It is not all that close to public transport (probably about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the nearest underground) but it is a very pleasant walk beside the river to or from the main train station.

The receptionists were very friendly and quick to offer a map and a code for the wi-fi. The room was a little strange, with the sink in the bedroom and two single quilts on the double bed, but the shower was great (really large shower head that works as your own private rain cloud).

I know you don't spend time in hotels to watch TV but it would have been nice to have an English-speaking option other than news channels to watch before going to sleep. [Had come from Amsterdam where the hotel had BBC + some American channels so had been spoilt!]

Just past the chocolate factory there is also a stand selling Currywurst and other items and just opposite the hotel is a service station, which are both very handy.

Room Tip: I was offered the chance to upgrade from a roadside to a riverside view. I didn't and did not re...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
PhilipSkitch, General Manager at art'otel cologne, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your great review, and advice for future visitiors about where to find cut price F&B options!!!! Well we are in the process of putting together a great new Bar and Room Service menu that will put the local Imbiss out of business, but I am not sure if we can compete with the Petrol Station!!!

Next time you plan a visit, let me treat you to a Chef's' tasting of our fantastic Chino Sushi and Sashimi as my guest ok, and then I promise you will never eat western junk food again!!

Regards,