art'otel cologne
Hotel Allegro(Cologne)
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
1,113 results
All reviewschocolate museumthe riverpainted glasschino latino restaurantxl roomroof terracegreat hotela river view roommodern artmodern hotelcorner roomcoffee machineold townminute walksingle duvetschristmas marketthe air conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Reception were welcoming and we were upgraded, as Concierge members to a large room on the top floor with a good view over the river. The wifi wasn't working. When we first mentioned it they said no-one else had complained so therefore it wasn't there problem. The second time we mentioned it they said someone would look into it. We received no information so raised it again when they admitted there was a problem, but it was never fixed during our stay. We arranged a later checkout but despite this and the "do not disturb" sign on the door housekeeping still entered our room, asking when we were leaving. Not very professional.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Duck_UK
PhilipSkitch, General Manager at art'otel cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your review, and I apologise that the internet was not working and the follow-up was not satisfactory.

We have now upgraded our system to a much better and higher speed system that will go live at the end of July, and so I hope upon your next trip you will see a vast improvement.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

This is the third time I have stayed at this hotel.

Reception was OK. They were friendly and efficient checking me in. I had 3 seperate bookings that complicated matters but they solves this well.

The rooms are fairly spacious. They have a great shower room with the sink in the living area as something a little different. They are white and clean and fairly well kept. However, I have to say that if you have white towels, make sure they are clean. All my stay I found stains on all towels.

The hotel itself is situated a 10-15 minute walk from the old town so perfect if you want to avoid the town centre. I would not waste mont on an upgrade but see if you can get a room on a higher floor.

The restaurant was fairly large and serves a lantino selection (apparently). However it is very asian inspired. The service here, however, is very poor. They are very friendly but it took about 15 minutes to get a basic beer order served. They blamed it on having to change a barrel but they should have at least informed us. The food service was also very slow. Although freshly made.

The facilities are fairly basic as they do not offer any gym facilities. Only a sauna/wellness senter.

On all 3 occasions (over 3 years) I have experienced the same slow level of service in the restaurant and also the same friendliness in reception. I can safely say this is a decent hotel to stay in.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
PhilipSkitch, General Manager at art'otel cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your good review.

I am sorry that over the years you find Chino Latino service to be slow. The Bar is the latino part (except when the barrel runs out!!!), and the food the Chino part, and yes it is alll made fresh (sushi and shashimi etc) which can take a while when the restaurant is busy. Our guests prefer to wait rather than have pre-prepared fake sushi like the type that is now served and passed off as authentic these days in so many restaurants,

I am glad however the reception were friendly and that you recommend us!

See you soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights.

Location: The hotel is located outside the old town. Roughly around 10-15 mins stroll into the old town. It is situated alongside the river.

Check in: It was quite slow but reasonable customer service by one of the female staff. They were also casting for the Next Top model so my hubby was more than happy to wait for service.

Hotel: Looks modern and have many art works within the hotel.

Bar/Restaurant: Didn't eat there but had a drink there in the afternoon. Service was good.

Room:
We booked a standard room but was persuaded to take the river view room instead with just an extra $10Euro. Anyway we took it as she said it was really nice. (Lesson learnt: should take a look at the 'nicer' room before we accept such offer)
The river view room was just a door sized ceiling to floor sized window. You cannot open the window properly. Its those tilt-turn/Inward window (may be its due to safety issue. For e.g. guests jumping into the river?!)
The bed & pillow was quite comfortable. Not too firm or soft.
The room was clean and coffee maker was provided

Bathroom: Shower & Toilet in the Bathroom (The Hand-washing Basin is not located in the bathroom) Weird design & not practical. However, we managed.

Problems:
Air Con' works but it was loud. To the point I thought there was an airplane flying above the hotel until we figured out that it was the air con noise. Now, my hubby is not a light sleeper and he had trouble sleeping through the night. We tried to turn off the air con but within minutes, the room was very hot & humid. The tilt-turn window only allowed a small amount (really small) of fresh air into the room.
The next day, we went to the reception to address the noise problem (politely) and asked if we could have someone to take a look at the air con to see if there was an issue with it. The male worker responded with a short answer "No! There's no problem " (Not sure if its a cultural/communication difference) My hubby then politely suggested may be we could move to another room. The male staff then responded "No they are all like that. Just turn off the air con" We were stunned and was speechless for a couple of minutes. The male staff then said "Anyway its not on top your bed so it should not be noisy" and went back to his paperwork.
Take it that there was nothing we could do, we just left.

Needless to say, we had little sleep for the next 2 nights.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for river view room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yeeyee_Oz

Dear reviewer,

I am sorry you didnt like the design of the hotel, and the air conditioníng certainly should not make such a noise.

I will investigate the customer service you received, as it astounds me one of our team would have said what you claim.

Many thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked on line for a room with river view. Checked in and paid. When we got to the room it was not with river view and went back down stairs. They claimed we didn't book a river view and insisted we pay $10 euro more. Room is nice BUT the shower/toilet room door does not shut. When we took a shower we discovered the drain does not work at all and the water floods the Barth room several inches deep and around into the carpet of main room. They know this as the door jambs have been destroyed by repeated wicking of this flood. The drain does not operate at all. The WiFi works in the hallway but zero signal on the room. None of our Apple phones or I-Pads worked. We called the front desk and they shrugged. The carpets in the halls are dirty and worn and look very bad and there is no air conditioning in the halls which are extra hot. This hotel is a facade of great design but the place is a real operational disappointment. We are going to ask for at the very least a free breakfast.

Overall this is a poor value.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Designnnmannn

Dear Reviewer.

Many thanks for the review and I am sorry for the disappointment. We are currently upgrading the free wifi to 10MB, so that should sort out that issue. The other issues I will investigate further, and I am sorry for the incovenience.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

When we arrived the girl behind the desk claimed that I didnt pay yet and insisted I would give her my creditcard until check out. I had to go trough my e-mail to show proof that I really did already pay. The room is spacy, but too hot. Even with airconditioning on. In the evening there is loud club music in the hotel. It's simply not worth the price. There are much nicer hotels that are less far away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank schrijf

Dear Reviewer,

I think you have reviewd the wrong hotel in Cologne by mistake, as we certainly don't have Club music in the lobby, bar, or anywhere else for that matter.