“Eat their Herring”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
Reviewed 27 June 2013

It is right off the Rhine River, next to the fishmonger statue, in the area that was the historic fish market of Cologne. There is both inside and outside seating and we chose to sit inside. The decor had artsy fish motifs and was fun to look at while we waited for our food. I got a sampler plate of fish. The smoked herring was so good that I could have eaten just that and I would have been happy. The pickled herring in beet was close behind. The smoked trout was good, but not as moist or flavorful as the smoked herring. From there, the food was average to less than average. The breaded and fried anchovies were charred and not real tasty. The shrimp was mediocre. The breaded and fried fish fingers were okay. But the herring was wonderful. If I were to go back, and I would if I went back to Cologne, I would get a full order of smoked herring. It is in the name and it is what they seem to do best, based on my limited experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stopped in for a late dinner on a Tuesday evening. The atmosphere was inviting and intimate and our waitress was friendly and attentive. She gave honest recommendations and even guided us away from one selection. Ultimately we sampled the Cologne-style "sushi" appetizer which boasted multiple preparations of herring and anchovies. We also enjoyed herring dinners. As travelers from the Pacific Northwest of the US we won't be giving up grilled, wild salmon anytime soon but the seafood at this restaurant was an interesting change of pace. As a side note - the sauerkraut was excellent.

All in all - a relaxing evening with decent food and great surroundings.

Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

Cute place, I went on a very quiet lunch day. It would have been nice to have more music but that's ok. The schnitzel with potatoe was great, a little pricier than I'd like for lunch but that alright

Reviewed 13 December 2012

A nice welcoming place.
Wandered in just to get out of the cold one night & enjoyed it so much we came back the next day for a meal. All the staff were friendly & cheerful, food was lovely & beer was nice too.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay in Cologne and ate at this restaurant twice. On both occassions the food and service was excellent. The staff were very welcoming to tourists and it seemed to attract locals too. Excellent choice of seafood and other dishes too. Thoroughly enjoyed both our visits.