“Excellent Fish Restaurant by the River Rhein”

Herings im Martinswinkel
Ranked #52 of 2,593 Restaurants in Cologne
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We found this wonderful fish restaurant as we were walking along the river trying to find a good place for dinner. We wanted something different from the usual German meat-and-potatoes fare. We were glad to find that this restaurant served fish and seafood. In the beginning, we find the place to be quiet (it was Monday night), but later more people came in. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. She can speak English and helped us with the menu choices.
I had cooked prawns/gambas (large plate of 25 big unshelled prawns) in lemon-chilli spicy sauce (tasted like Thai tom yum sauce) and my friend had fried herrings with roasted potatoes and vegetables. He also had fish soup for starters, and we find the soup to be very good and quite hearty. We also ordered white wines with our meals, and the Riesling was superb. We liked the food and restaurant very much that we returned the next day for lunch.
We sat outside the restaurant, as it was sunny that day, and I had fresh herrings as starters and fried haddock fish as main meal (it came with delicious potato salad). My friend had creamy potato soup (which was very delicious, as it had bits of bacon in it) and grilled goat cheese with honey and large salad. He really enjoyed his food as well.
Overall, the food and wines were fantastic. The service was great. The interior was warm and cozy, with old/vintage photographs of Cologne on the walls; the ambience was wonderful. We will definitely returned to this restaurant whenever we visit Cologne again.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We found this little place when we were site seeing by the river. Two delivery men were walking out and told us that the food was really good (in German). So we decided to give it a try the next night. And it was well worth it!
It’s a really cute little pub / restaurant. My husband ate the seasonal special of mussels. It was absolutely delicious! The sauce was just so tasty and the mussels so fresh.

I on the other hand had the fish of the day (baked perch), with potatoes. I demolished the fish and potatoes. It was so good being able to eat such fresh fish here in Germany and at such a good price!

The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was really nice. It seemed really homey and felt truly traditional to Cologne.
I wish I could go to Herrings again!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My mother and I found this restaurant while looking for a place to eat last weekend, when we visited Cologne. Aside from the fact the restaurant is situated in an idea location on the Rhine, the service and food was fantastic. The waitress was really attentive and kept on checking we were okay. The food was superb, I had the schnitzel and my mother the herring and it was top notch. Have already recommended to a friend who has recently moved to Cologne. Thank you for a lovely evening!!

1  Thank Kathb1985
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stumbled onto this restaurant. Seemed to be populated by locals which is a good sign. It is small and kind of old style bistro/pub feel to it. I had deep fried herring and my son had seabass. It was very good. The service was fast and friendly. It is owner operated....the woman serving us was the owner.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were searching some place where to eat, and were very glad that we stopped there. Cute small restaurant with his own history of building where it is situated. I can't say that german food is delicious, but it was good there. take papas steak and potato from grandma's schnitzel with cognac sauce, it was great!