Roman-German Museum (Romisch-Germanisches Museum)
Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Book In Advance
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Cologne
from US$49.71
from US$12.02
from US$20.35
1,357 results
All reviews glass objects oil lamps mosaic floors on display grave stones daily life extensive collection interesting artifacts great collection cologne area several floors couple of hours two hours entrance fee rainy day audio guide jewelry
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Being Italian (coming from the homeland of Ancient Romans), I was surprised to find such a rich and interesting museum in Northern Germany.
There are basically three floors, in which they are exposed pieces mainly from the Rhein region.
All the info under the pieces exposed are in German: just a few of them are also in English and French and provide very basilar information...

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Ok, I'm not an ancient history buff; in fact, when I took ancient history in high school (yes, for some reason my high school had such a course), it soured me on history in general. This museum is for people with a tolerance for such history, if not an interest in it. The museum collects all kinds of trinkets and objects excavated from the time when Romans controlled the Cologne area. As memory serves me, it has a couple of mosaic floors from Roman villas, which, if you haven't seen any, might be of interest to you. That said, despite my lack of interest, I have seen many such mosaic floors so these didn't seem to be that big of a deal--and I didn't think that these were particularly distinguished.

For example, compared to floors in Israel, these are not notable (e.g. Loaves and Fishes). Then, there is the amazing array of mosaic floors at Volubilis in Morocco. If any Westernized country had that group, it would be covered by a giant glass dome and protected by perfectly controlled HVAC. I mean, we're talking 50 or so Roman mosaic floors out in the hot sun and one can walk all over them if one wants (although one should not). So, let's just say I was neither that interested in this Cologne museum, nor impressed by it.

Then, there's another, bigger problem. The building. Someone thought it would be a good idea to place it right up against the magnificent Cologne Cathedral, the Dome. Who did this? I want to know. It was a really bad idea. The Dom is magnificent and the Roman-German Museum is, well, not. The Museum, in fact, obscures part of the Cathedral that is one of the wonders of Western architecture. In fact, the German-Romanisches Museum needs to be moved somewhere else. Of course, by all means visit it since it's right next to the Dom and other, good museums, but regrettably, as someone once wrote, "I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him."

Date of experience: May 2014
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a place where we find where the name of Cplpgne come from. Exposition is very clear and easy to follow. Lot of items are shown for THE FIRST TIME, at least for us. We are very keen about Roman history and that Museum gave us lot and more of knowledge. Thank You! Vielen Danke!!!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Only had the opportunity to visit it on a Monday. Sadly the museums in this city are closed on a Monday, so be aware. In saying this we were able to view some of the exhibits from the large plate glass windows. Look down and see the ancient Roman floor mural and statues. Would have great to see the whole museum but time did not permit.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Right next to the Dom this excellent museum is beautifully presented. The display is on two floors and they have a complete villa floor of mosaics which is very impressive. My only small niggle is that the detailed information is only in German the general information is in both English and German. (In the basement are some nice free toilets which seem hardly used, handy on your way round)

Date of experience: July 2014