“Haunting”

Ranked #12 of 285 things to do in Cologne
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This old Nazi prison, preserved in its original state, is a terrifying reminder of the horrors of the Holocaust.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We went here for a quick visit. €2 for students which is a great price! The information about Nazi Propaganda and the Gestapo upstairs was really interesting. Downstairs however was so sad, and haunting, it's a feeling I will never forget!!

1  Thank AideenMaryJayne
Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"three hours"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 19 October 2017

This Museum is effectively in two parts, the original Gestapo detention cells, and execution yard in the two basement levels and a blow by blow account of Cologne's involvement in the Nazi regime in the two upper floors. The basement levels are obviously not a bundle of laughs with its focus on the numerous messages scrawled on the walls by prisoners, many of whom were executed or sent off to the camps. The upper levels are an impressive walk-through of the role that the City and its citizens in Hitler's Germany. There's no suggestion here of trying to distance the City from want when on; the level of honesty is impressive. Make sure you get the audio-guide which is extremely useful, particularly in the upper two floors which effectively have no English. We spent two and half hours here but have to admit on the hard floors we were flagging, but you'd certainly want to allocate two hours to a visit.

2  Thank AllanJGJ
Reviewed 18 October 2017

My husband and I stopped in here while we were in Cologne and found it very interesting. We bought the audio tape but ended up not using it. Downstairs has everything translated into English and by the time we go to the upstairs section (not in English) we were ready to leave.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I visited Cologne alone for a daytrip in October 2017 - with little time I had to prioritise things to do and this centre was high on the list. To start with - ignore Google Maps' directions for this building. It took me to the wrong side of the building which had a very closed-looking door on it. I almost gave up but then rounded the corner to find the actual entrance. Inside is the reception desk, you pay and they direct you down to the very bottom floor. A former Gestapo jail, the stone walls clearly have many stories to tell. There isn't a lot of information on the very bottom floor about what happened here but the huge heavy cell doors already make you feel uncomfortable. Upstairs has long hallways of cells, each smaller than the next, and a plaque next to every cell explaining what happened inside. You can see all of the carvings into the stone walls from the inmates. I spent about an hour inside. I didn't realise there was an audioguide option upon entry which I believe is only 2 Euros - I wish I had done this rather than just walking about aimlessly reading the plaques. Haunting and chilling place to go but allows true appreciation of a glimpse of what went on during WWII.

5  Thank travellerinyellow