“Extremely helpful staff”

Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport
Ranked #13 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel is what you would expect for a holiday inn, however the staff make this place, I had problems with lost luggage and several staff were extremely helpful, from reception to shuttle bus driver, so well done and thank you.....

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport

Reviewed 30 December 2012

This is a pretty good address for early flights as it is in walking distance (15 mins) from the Cologne airport. However they also offer a shuttle service every 30 mins, which is very convenient. The rooms are not the most modern ones anymore, but they are still fine. Given the hotel is so close to the airport, please do not expect it to be absolutely quiet. The service and the bar is great.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Prior to our departure from CGN, we overnighted at the Holiday Inn which is convenient to the Flughafen. Our early morning departure meant we needed close accommodation with shuttle service when required. We found the room to be quite odd, with a king sized bed seemingly miles from the very small, and very old Cathode-Ray Tube television (this is the 21st Century, isn't it?) which made even viewing any program difficult without binoculars (which aren't provided). There is no comfortable set of chairs for 2 people to sit any closer to the TV which we kept off. Temperature regulation in the room was difficult, with wide fluctuations in warm and cooler temperature cycles. And, it is very noisy, with room walls thin that allow for transmission of sound easily. Most recently renovated or constructed hotels have increased their noise suppression and isolation, providing for a better night's sleep. We also found that the cost of the room is dependent on the country through which you book it, with similar numbers for both U.S. or European websites but, obviously, a difference in the actual cost of the room if paying in U.S. dollars (but booked through HRS.de as opposed to HRS.com).

Where we felt the hotel shine was in the dining room. Our veal and lamb meals were well prepared, very savory, and executed with panache. The plates were wonderfully arranged, the saucing appropriate for the portions, and the quality of the product high. If it weren't for our experience in the restaurant, the rating of the hotel would be lower.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The hotel is an older style Holiday Inn, and although clean, a complete renovation is more than needed.
In general, the staff is pleasant and welcoming. the location of the hotel is obviously nearby the terminals and a free shuttle runs regulary.

Rooms are in dire need of some love. The carpets are old, stained and worn, some lights do not work, there is no free internet, and not even Wireless in the rooms.
In the Bathroom, two spotlights were hanging freely from the ceiling, with the electrical wiring clearly visible. In a moist environment, this is a safety risk.

The food in the resaurant was good I must say, although typically overpriced.

Overall, I can NOT recommend this hotel at all, it is one of the worst Holiday Inn's I have sayed in.
Not providing free Internet is a total unacceptable failure in thismday and age, for that reason only, I subtract 2 stars. Unfortunately, the rest of the facilities are also inadequate and not up to Holiday Inn standards.

Positives: - friendly staff
- free shuttle to the terminals

Things to work on: - Condition of the rooms and all facilities
- Internet is not free and even non existent in some rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank flightcrewreview
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Dear flightcrewreview,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority and for that I am pleased that you were able to experience the nice and friendly environment from our staff and our free shuttle. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience the overall condition of our facilities and internet may have caused during your stay. Your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly. We are continually reviewing the products and services we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, thank you for your patronage and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I spent two nights at the "Holiday Inn Koln/Bonner Flughafen", here's how it went:

Good:
- Staff was very friendly.
- Frequent Shuttle to the airport.
- Close to the airport.
- Comfortable pillows.
- Breakfast buffet.

Bad:
- No WiFi available in room.
- Bar is a bit pricey.
- Shower curtain smelled like urine.
- I utilized room service; a late night Pizza and Pepsi, horrible. The pizza was overcooked.
- Blanket on the bed was too small.
- Nothing to do around the hotel.

Overall, I would only stay here again if I needed to sleep anywhere near the airport in Cologne.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jordan I
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed here one night on a business trip:

Positives:
Location close to the airport
Friendly Staff
Bar food and service
Good pillows

Negatives:
Room very dowdy in drab tones really needs renovation and lighter colour scheme.
Internet - via cable only AND charged ! No good for smartphones / iPad etc.

Compared to the Holiday Inn in Prague (also reviewed) a whole world of difference
Sorry to say - this was really average

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank rach68Basel
Reviewed 1 November 2012

First thing to say is that this is a standard Holiday Inn, nothing exceptional, except for the very good shuttle to the airport which is a few minutes away.

Now the downside. These people are committing highway robbery when it comes to Internet charges. Now think about it. Who goes to the Holiday Inn at Cologne airport? Not exactly the tourist centre of the world is it? No of course the answer is quite simple. Businessman.

Now what does every businessman virtually always need to do when they get to a hotel? You've got it, log onto the Internet to get e-mails etc. What is Holiday Inn’s reaction to this?

Exploitation.

They want to charge €17 for 24 hours use, but of course we only use it for half an hour in the morning whilst rushing out to our next meeting, and maybe an hour or so in the evening if we're so lucky. Quite a lot of money for just that uses the isn't it.

But hold on, the con gets even worse.

Going down to the lobby so that I could pick up my e-mail on my iPhone over breakfast, I asked how I logged into my €17 service, and guess what? You've got it. The fee does not extend to giving me coverage in the reception and dining area! No these people actually make extra charge of €9. So they want €26 per day just for a few hours Internet access which most of us would be able to utilise.

Stay there for a week, and you've got yourself enough money to go out and buy a pretty damn good Wireless Access Point, or buy a fair of leased line time. Even when I paid the €17 the damn service didn't work, and they had to deliver to my room a piece of paper with some passwords to get me online. The service is run for them by a company called Swisscom but they should be called SwissCON.

So IHG stop exploiting your customers in this way. I am a member of the Fairmont President Club, one of the nice advantages of which is free Internet service. I stayed at the IHG Crowne Plaza in Cambridge the week before, and gave free Internet access in the lobby to Priority Club Members. I have just reached the Platinum Level of that club, and asked when I checked in, what benefits that gave me. The answer? A complimentary drink! Yabber Dabber Doo. Way to go Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Use 3G, or get your e-mail before you arrive at this place, as otherwise they will cripple you with...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alan H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear notalamb,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide internet options that are competitive in the area. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Regards,