“Not to my Liking.”

Ranked #16 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Galashiels, United Kingdom
“Not to my Liking.”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Leonardo Hotel is located 300 metres from the main airport building.I arrived after a long coach journey from Berlin.At check-in I was allocated a room on the 3rd floor.There is two lifts for access.The room was spacious and tidy with a large bed,an old box type TV and a Coffee/Tea making facility.The En-Suite was also spacious with a Bath/Shower,fresh towels and a Hairdryer.
An hour or so after my arrival a three course dinner was served in the hotel restaurant and I did not enjoy the dinner at all,maybe the soup being far to salty put me off.But I did not finish any of the courses.A breakfast buffet was also available in the restaurant.
Internet access is available in the hotel,there is a charge for this service.
Unlike a previous reviewer, I ordered a Taxi the night before for a morning pick up and the driver was actually 10 minutes early.
I stayed at the Leonardo Hotel for one night and although not to my liking,is very handy for the Airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I know this hotel for long time as i'm staing there often, it was holiday inn, now it is Leonardo. The rooms correspond to standard of this class, very good sound isolation and very good bets.
Unfortunately the new staff is extremely incompetent, you order taxi day before and in the morning there is no taxi. If you ask them when it is, when it will arrive they do not know and do very little to get the information.
Also on checkout terminals have been not working and the person at checkout has disappeared for some time with my credit card, after he returned he had written the full credit card number, expiration date and validation number (from signature line) directly on the invoice stating that this is common practice.
When called the bank to check it this is really common practice they have immediately blocked my card.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We flew from Cologne/Bonn aiport to our holiday destination, since the flights were cheaper than the ones from Amsterdam, which is close to our home. So we booked a 1 night stay including transfer to the airport and 15 days free parking, which is a good deal. It turned our car would be parked for 16 days, but the lady at the reception desk was very friendly and didn't charge an additional fee. The staff were very friendly in general and their English was very good.
The family room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfartable. We also enjoyed the breakfast. Will definitely book this hotel again if we fly from Cologne airport another time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

First thing to know is that if you are travelling from the airport, there is a free pickup service. Ask the airport information desk for directions to the free phone. The shuttle bus arrived within 5 minutes. While close to the airport, it's probably not such an easy walk. We arrived at night and were thankful for this service.

Receptionists are fluent in English and were very helpful with my requests for information on ordering a taxi and how to obtain tickets for trains and trams.

We skipped using the other facilities at the hotel and skipped breakfast as time was limited.

We had a family room for four. The room was a good size and the beds were comfortable. The beds were two doubles which meant that a twin adult / child arrangement was better than 2 adults and 2 children.

Window to room opened a little for fresh air but we kept it closed. Some minor noise from the distant road but this was not a problem with window shut. Air conditioning was ok. Shower facility was also ok.

For the amenity offered, I thought that the price was excellent. If I ever need to go back to Cologne, I would definitely consider this as an option. Not sure how convenient this would be if you were visiting the city on a daily basis. Shuttle bus to airport and use the excellent train into hauptbahnhof I would think. Still, worth considering.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The front desk was very helpful fulfilling my multiple requests. This is a decent, inexpensive hotel by the airport. Restaurant was very slow with service, but the food was ok. Very quick and helpful shuttle service to the airport. It would be a great update to have wireless in the rooms. If you don't have high expectations, this hotel is fine.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Tehran
Reviewed 29 March 2013

When you have Flight it is good to stay beside the Airport.The Hotel is Clean and good for business travel.When I arrive to Hotel at 2am then I go to reception and wait for short time to get my Room.The reception was not happy and friendly ,maybe because of Late in night.Then I ask for free wifi and he said not free and then I asked about Parking and he said it s not free and also Breakfast not included and not any free sevice to fair and not anymore....!!!!! Then I really wondered why he is so angry about my questions....better to stay in another hotel if you like to visit Koln with your Family....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Cologne Bonn Airport, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Mehdi334,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy that the proximity of our hotel to the airport worked for your needs. Allow me to apologize however for the shortcomings you encountered in the service of our staff. Your comments will be relayed to them so that they can continuously improve on their efforts.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Only stayed for 1 night and found the hotel to be comfortable and clean. Staff at the welcome desk were helpful (gave me a free ice scraper on checking out due to the amount of snow that fell overnight - even though I had one!). The room was large and comfy and the bar served quick and hearty meals, perfect for what I needed!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends