“lovely hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Manchester, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

four of us went for easter weekend and had a great time, lovely staff comfortable rooms and a fantastic breakfast. it is a very historic hotel in an amazing spot couldnt be any closer to the cathedral and that is a sight to behold

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
austin, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

After a very long day of flying from the US to Frankfurt, Germany then taking a train from Frankfurt to Cologne we arrived at the Dom Hotel at 11am. Our room was not ready but the staff did get us in as soon as our room became available or it could have been the fact that we fell asleep in the lobby! Our room number was 226. No view at all but the room was spacious with 2 twin beds nudged against each other to make a king size. This is typical in Europe. The bathroom was very nice with a full size hair dryer...always a perk with me as I have a lot of hair! The breakfast here is not to be missed. I have included photos; it's simply beautiful and delicious. The only downside for us was 15 Euro per day Wi-Fi fee…(we booked 4 rooms here). The hotel is centrally located. The Dom Cathedral is across the street. Several other museums are located very close as well. The Rhine is a short walk and the streets are just lovely. I think we visited every brew house in town but my favorite was Fruh. Fruh is one of the oldest brew houses in Cologne and the food and beer were great. Some of the locals call Fruh "Tourist Beer" but our group of beer aficionados enjoyed it. Also, don't miss Peter’s Brauhaus and Malzmuhle.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Fantastic location you walk out on to a market! Lovely room Clean Big and underheated bathroom floor with big bath! Nice breckfast .. lots of choice! Lovely views, Lots of attractions near by. Would recommend very pleased.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My poor experience of this hotel may be due to the fact that it is no longer run by Le Meridien, who I believe pulled out 10 days before our stay. The staff were unfriendly and unimpressive throughout and it was not clear who was managing the hotel - there was no hotel information in the room or in the bar and the menu display cases were all empty. The room was spacious and well equipped, but very shabby - there were strange paint smears across all of the walls as if trying to disguise the actual dirt marks underneath. The bar is small and is a smoking area, with the smoke spilling out into the lounge and reception areas - truly horrible for non-smokers. There is no alternative non-smoking bar. I was kept awake by the noisy radiator in our room, even though I checked several times that it was switched off. I was excited about staying here, given its past reputation and paid an excessive amount for a very disappointing stay. I was glad that we had only booked one night and will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Moira C
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have always wanted to stay in this hotel after visiting a party here a few years ago. I was happy to get a good rate for a stay last week, and I was certainly not disappointed.

The old part of the hotel (the part that overlooks Roncalliplatz) is now closed, and guests are now housed in the new part of the hotel that overlooks the front of the cathedral (or the back of the hotel, depending on your room type).

Our room was a deluxe room overlooking the cathedral. Upon entering the room, we were amazed by the automatic curtains and blinds - they opened as soon as we inserted the key for the electricity to reveal the most fantastic view of the imposing cathedral. The room was very spacious, and had a beautiful bathroom that was lit with pink mood lighting. There was a separate booth for the rainfall shower, and a separate booth for the loo. The bathtub was lovely, but I didn't get chance to use this during the stay, sadly.

The beds were the comfiest I have ever encountered, even if they were a bit high...I felt like a princess. There was a massive television mounted on the wall (I'd guess about 40 inch) which had many English channels on it. Not that you go away to watch tv, but it's always nice to have something on when you're getting ready.

There was a complimentary bottle of water in the room, which was a nice touch, but I never have any issues drinking the tap water in Germany anyway. The minibar was well stocked, but I didn't use it. I have been told that some people get penalised with the Nespresso coffee machine as they charge for the capsules you use (it's on the mini bar price list), but I have a machine at home so took my own capsules! There's nothing nicer than enjoying a morning coffee overlooking the cathedral.

The room had plenty of wardrobe space, with the wardrobe doors having the cathedral etched on to them. There was a comfy chaise longue in the window, as well as a table and an armchair. There was also a desk area.

I was taken ill at the end of my trip, and had to extend my stay. The hotel were fantastic and sorted me a fabulous English-speaking doctor, and extended our stay. The concierge was really helpful too, and kept asking how I was whenever he saw me. Sadly, it meant swapping to a room at the other side of the hotel as it was a weekend and our deluxe room had been booked. The view was pretty bad in the other room - it was overlooked by the other side of the hotel, and overlooked the service yard at the back. It was also a lot smaller than the first room, but it was still a lovely quiet space. Perhaps if I hadn't had the first room, this one would have seemed just as nice!

The hotel rooms are COMPLETELY soundproofed. It is one of only a few hotels I have stayed in that has been silent. I am sick of hotel rooms being noisy now, despite their star rating. However, the Dom Hotel was fantastic and I would recommend it to everyone. The only downside is half of it is now shut, and it looks a little bit dated and smells a little musty on the staircases. Oh, and there is a bizarre curtain as you enter the hotel that you have to push open every time. I am not sure why it is there, but I found it rather amusing after a while.

All in all, this hotel is nothing short of perfection.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

We have been staying here for at least 20 years while attending the shows at nearby koln messe. The Dom is one of the great old european hotels. Recently added a renovated wing with state of the art fixtures and updates. As has been our typical experience the front desk staff is frosty with their welcome and despite repeated assurances the wireless is inoperative which by the way is NOT included so you have the bonus of paying for unreliable service. This is the end of our second day and its still not up. The business center is decent though and you can access the internet etc. Breakfast is 29 euros so a better bet if you are adventurous is to round the corner for the pastry and coffee shop which is exceptional. Also Fruh a great local brauhaus is right behind the hotel as well as a busz shopping area.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking Dom square while scenic are VERY loud with skateboarders, kids and boisterous you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KJDbiz1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We recently stayed at the Dom Hotel Meridien, over Karnival in Cologne. The hotel is located steps away from the Cathedral, and with a lovely executive suite overlooking the square, we were thrilled with our room. The bathroom was spacious, with a bathtub and separate shower area, and mood lighting that had a multi-colour function! Bathrobes and slippers in abundance and comfy beds and pillows. The staff were lovely and friendly. We booked and pre-paid so our only surprise, at checkout, was the £2.50 per capsule for the Nespresso coffee in the room that was added to our bill! The total for the coffee consumed was £25!! Since coffee/tea is usually free in hotel rooms, we hadn't thought to ask but were told that it was listed on the mini-bar price list. This was unfair as it should have been clearer and £2.50 for a capsule that costs £0.29 is a bit much. After a bit of complaining, they waived it but it soured the experience..just a bit! So a highly recommended hotel but don't touch the coffee capsules! There's lots of great coffee just steps away with bakeries galore!!!

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank spiderspotter
DomHotel, Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear “spiderspotter”,

A warm thank you for taking the time to write this positive review on TripAdvisor.

Guest experience is essential to us and it is always rewarding to read that we succeeded. So I am sorry that nevertheless there was one point that did not make your stay the perfect one we aim to. We will rethink about your comments concerning the coffee prices. Thank you for your remarks and to give us the opportunity to sharpen up our performance for our guest’s welfare.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Dom Hotel in the not too distant future.

Best regards from Cologne