“Spectacular views of the Dom”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dom Hotel Koeln

Dom Hotel Koeln
Ranked #85 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
London
“Spectacular views of the Dom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We got the room via Expedia at a good price. The room itself had excellent views of the cathedral, and it was entertaining to watch the people in the square, such as the surprisingly mobile 'living statues'. It was a very nice room, with a lovely modern bathroom. However, it wasn't great to be charged 2.5 euros for each capsule of Nespresso (no other hot drink available). We felt the breakfast was overpriced, so didn't try it. Instead we walked about 100 yards to a cafe and had a really good traditional German breakfast for around 8 euros each. I would definitely recommend the hotel for the views from the room.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a view of the Dom. It's very theatrical, and always entertaining because of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent as it is next to the cathedral - which is quite amazing everytime you leave the hotel, the gothic cathedral is infront of you. It is also a short walk from the river, near the shops as well as being around the corner (most importantly being in Germany!) from a fantastic beer hall. I would recommend going there instead of the bar in the hotel as the prices were quite steep and the beer hall had a much nicer authentic atmosphere and the bar staff were not as attentive as the reception staff of the hotel.

The hotel was nice to stay in and the staff did kindly move us without question to another part of the hotel as from our original room we could hear hammering from renovations being completed in the next building. It was unfortuante as that was not an issue with the hotel, so it was great they moved us straight away.

We could hear the bells of the cathedral of course (being so close) but it was lovely - and the bells were certainly not an issue at all.

Lastly, as we came in by train, the train station is also very close to the catherdral and hotel, so most convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cbr_13
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

four of us went for easter weekend and had a great time, lovely staff comfortable rooms and a fantastic breakfast. it is a very historic hotel in an amazing spot couldnt be any closer to the cathedral and that is a sight to behold

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
austin, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

After a very long day of flying from the US to Frankfurt, Germany then taking a train from Frankfurt to Cologne we arrived at the Dom Hotel at 11am. Our room was not ready but the staff did get us in as soon as our room became available or it could have been the fact that we fell asleep in the lobby! Our room number was 226. No view at all but the room was spacious with 2 twin beds nudged against each other to make a king size. This is typical in Europe. The bathroom was very nice with a full size hair dryer...always a perk with me as I have a lot of hair! The breakfast here is not to be missed. I have included photos; it's simply beautiful and delicious. The only downside for us was 15 Euro per day Wi-Fi fee…(we booked 4 rooms here). The hotel is centrally located. The Dom Cathedral is across the street. Several other museums are located very close as well. The Rhine is a short walk and the streets are just lovely. I think we visited every brew house in town but my favorite was Fruh. Fruh is one of the oldest brew houses in Cologne and the food and beer were great. Some of the locals call Fruh "Tourist Beer" but our group of beer aficionados enjoyed it. Also, don't miss Peter’s Brauhaus and Malzmuhle.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Fantastic location you walk out on to a market! Lovely room Clean Big and underheated bathroom floor with big bath! Nice breckfast .. lots of choice! Lovely views, Lots of attractions near by. Would recommend very pleased.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

My poor experience of this hotel may be due to the fact that it is no longer run by Le Meridien, who I believe pulled out 10 days before our stay. The staff were unfriendly and unimpressive throughout and it was not clear who was managing the hotel - there was no hotel information in the room or in the bar and the menu display cases were all empty. The room was spacious and well equipped, but very shabby - there were strange paint smears across all of the walls as if trying to disguise the actual dirt marks underneath. The bar is small and is a smoking area, with the smoke spilling out into the lounge and reception areas - truly horrible for non-smokers. There is no alternative non-smoking bar. I was kept awake by the noisy radiator in our room, even though I checked several times that it was switched off. I was excited about staying here, given its past reputation and paid an excessive amount for a very disappointing stay. I was glad that we had only booked one night and will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moira C
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have always wanted to stay in this hotel after visiting a party here a few years ago. I was happy to get a good rate for a stay last week, and I was certainly not disappointed.

The old part of the hotel (the part that overlooks Roncalliplatz) is now closed, and guests are now housed in the new part of the hotel that overlooks the front of the cathedral (or the back of the hotel, depending on your room type).

Our room was a deluxe room overlooking the cathedral. Upon entering the room, we were amazed by the automatic curtains and blinds - they opened as soon as we inserted the key for the electricity to reveal the most fantastic view of the imposing cathedral. The room was very spacious, and had a beautiful bathroom that was lit with pink mood lighting. There was a separate booth for the rainfall shower, and a separate booth for the loo. The bathtub was lovely, but I didn't get chance to use this during the stay, sadly.

The beds were the comfiest I have ever encountered, even if they were a bit high...I felt like a princess. There was a massive television mounted on the wall (I'd guess about 40 inch) which had many English channels on it. Not that you go away to watch tv, but it's always nice to have something on when you're getting ready.

There was a complimentary bottle of water in the room, which was a nice touch, but I never have any issues drinking the tap water in Germany anyway. The minibar was well stocked, but I didn't use it. I have been told that some people get penalised with the Nespresso coffee machine as they charge for the capsules you use (it's on the mini bar price list), but I have a machine at home so took my own capsules! There's nothing nicer than enjoying a morning coffee overlooking the cathedral.

The room had plenty of wardrobe space, with the wardrobe doors having the cathedral etched on to them. There was a comfy chaise longue in the window, as well as a table and an armchair. There was also a desk area.

I was taken ill at the end of my trip, and had to extend my stay. The hotel were fantastic and sorted me a fabulous English-speaking doctor, and extended our stay. The concierge was really helpful too, and kept asking how I was whenever he saw me. Sadly, it meant swapping to a room at the other side of the hotel as it was a weekend and our deluxe room had been booked. The view was pretty bad in the other room - it was overlooked by the other side of the hotel, and overlooked the service yard at the back. It was also a lot smaller than the first room, but it was still a lovely quiet space. Perhaps if I hadn't had the first room, this one would have seemed just as nice!

The hotel rooms are COMPLETELY soundproofed. It is one of only a few hotels I have stayed in that has been silent. I am sick of hotel rooms being noisy now, despite their star rating. However, the Dom Hotel was fantastic and I would recommend it to everyone. The only downside is half of it is now shut, and it looks a little bit dated and smells a little musty on the staircases. Oh, and there is a bizarre curtain as you enter the hotel that you have to push open every time. I am not sure why it is there, but I found it rather amusing after a while.

All in all, this hotel is nothing short of perfection.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family