Dom Hotel Koeln
  • Pool
US$82
US$78
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Koeln Messe(Cologne)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$128
US$121
Travelocity
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2009

I caught one of the busier weekends in Cologne. Apparently, it's one of those cities around the world that attracts a lot of business conferences. As such, room rates fluctuate wildly, depending on whether space is tight or there's nobody in town.

The Dom Hotel is something special. It is literally across a plaza from the Dom. You walk out the front door and you have to crane your neck to see the roof of the cathedral, let alone the spires. Simply breathtaking. The room I reserved with a view of the Dom wasn't quite the view I had in mind. I had lean out and look left to get 2/3 of the Dom (the back half, so no spires) in my field of view. But I did have a great view of an open plaza next to the Dom. If I wanted the best view of the cathedral, rather than "a" view of it, I guess I should have stayed in a suite with view, rather than just a room with view.

The room was extremely well furnished without being over the top. The furniture looked like money was spent more on quality than appearance, which in my book is spot on. Call it understated style executed with quality materials. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens cuddly. The bathroom mirrored the room in that everything in it was of very high quality without an extra nickel spent on making it look more expensive than it was.

The staff were the best who've ever served me. Equally comfortable in English and German, they, and I, slid back and forth between the two languages as easily as I did with my friends growing up in Germany twenty years before. They were quick to offer the loan of an umbrella when it looked like rain, and had a kind word and a smile for us every time we came and went (5-6 times a day!).

Not being a fan of hotel restaraunts, I did not eat at the Hotel. As such, I can only comment that the location is prime, and the prices are high. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, in all price categories, as well as excellent shopping. The train station is just around the other side of the Dom, though you wouldn't notice it unless you went looking for it, so it doesn't intrude at all.

As Cologne is among my favorite cities, I will return, and I can't imagine staying anywhere but the Dom Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Polyglot_Solider
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I stayed here for the xmas markets. It was centrally located for all the markets, shops and to get to the train station.

The hotel was more of a 4* rather than 5*. The irritating housekeeping knocks on the door between 7 & 8 every morning didn't help. As well as the poor room standards (the bathroom door didn't close properly & the towels were of a low standard (no fluffy towels here).

However the staff were always helpful whatever the query, and the rooms were quiet although not sound proof and spotless.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank fox23
Reviewed 8 December 2008

As we own and run a 5* ourselves we are perhaps more aware of what should be there than most casual visitors. In Britain to achieve 5* you have to have the best quality in every respect. The room should have the 'wow' factor. The Dom would definitely not make the grade in Britain. I'd estimate it at lower half 4*. To be fair, standards in other countries do differ but I'm writing from a British expectation.

I visited with a friend, my daughter and baby grandson for the Christmas markets. The room I had with daughter was "the second best in the hotel" overlooking the square. Our friend had a superior room.

Good points: the room was spotlessly clean (bar one overlooked mark on a door) and the staff friendly and pleasant. The shower had a good flow and the water was hot. Full marks on those scores.

Where would it let itself down? My friend had a double bed but bedding consisted of a mean thin single duvet lay down the middle. The bedding in general would not pass muster here. Pillows looked good but were flat when used. Towels were thin (450 gm hotel economy) and rough.
The furniture in the room was tired looking and rather cheap. Seen better at second hand stalls.
Bins were open to the room and unlined so unpleasant to use.
The room had no tea/coffee making facilities, nothing except for a mini bar where a tiny packet of crisps was 2.50 Euros and a bottle of water 8 euros. (we provide a basket of fruit, hot drink facilities, cold drinks, fresh milk etc. free of charge) .
Walls on most sides were thick enough to absorb noise but the one next to our bed heads wasn't, we could hear the couple in the room next to ours talking late in to the night, and felt very sorry for them when the teething baby howled loudly in the early hours.
Someone elsewhere commented on the windows blocking the noise from the market which surprises me as ours certainly didn't do that.
Room temperature fluctuated between roasting to freezing and the thermostats in the rooms were not relating to what happened in practice.
We were disturbed at 8am by room service knocking on the doors. To be fair we hadn't put out signs to not disturb but would not expect to be disturbed at such an early hour anyway, so didn't expect to need them.
Each day we went out the room windows were opened wide and we came back to be chilled.

Cost: The single room was £192 per night and the double £320. This was not reflected in the room size or facilities. The owners clearly have masks and ride horses called black bess. Again, to be fair, we found the whole city to be expensive in all respects.

Christmas markets. Interesting to a point. The food and drink stalls were lively and reasonably priced but other items were inflated to more than you'd pay here. We took a day trip to Brussels to buy our Chritmas presents as it was better value to do that than buy in Koln.

Overall I'd say if you fancy Christmas markets you could choose better than here.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank therealwitch
Reviewed 4 December 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a single night to enjoy the Christmas markets in Cologne. The location is really unbeatable, with one of the 7 Christmas markets in the city right outside the doors of the hotel. We snapped a few pictures from the window and noted that the windows do an amazing job in keeping the noise out...really loud when they were open, but none of the sound made it through when they were closed. You'll notice that kind of attention to detail throughout the hotel. The staff was vey friendly and efficent and the rooms were clean and tastefully decorated. We did not opt for breakfast at the hotel since there are so many options just outside the door (for a lot less money). There is a large and secure underground parking lot adjacent to the cathedral that, while not run by the hotel, is extremely convenient.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rmeehan
Reviewed 20 November 2008

After having tried out many other top cologne hotels ("Wassertum", "Excelsior Ernst", "Hilton", "Sofitel") I stayed at the Dom Hotel four times this fall and I'm going back next week.

I'm not always crazy about the neo art nouveau or postmodern room interiors and some of them, particularly the bathrooms, show some wear and slight tear. But very few hotels in Germany, if any, can compete with the wonder of the views you get right from your bed when you have a room facing the cathedral.

And notably the staff is not just professional and service-oriented in a way you would expect from any 5star property, but seems to be genuinely interested in making your stay as pleasant as it can be. Cologne is a very open and culturally diverse city and the Dom Hotel and it's staff seem to perfectly reflect that..

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)