“luxurious landmark hotel with professional and friendly staff”
Review of Dom Hotel Koeln

Dom Hotel Koeln
Ranked #96 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Staying with this hotel was a really nice experience, not only was it a landmark hotel with an extremely good location but the hotel itself was very luxurious. I stayed in one of the executive rooms with two balconies overlooking the side view of the Dom Cologne and direct view of the museums.

The lobby was large luxurious and spacious as were the bedrooms, the bedrooms were decorated very tasteful and everything you needed. What I didn’t like was that room service was very late at time, normally the rooms were not made until late in the day and the mini bar was changed late in the evening. However the mini bar was for free. When I complained now only did the refill the bar of what I normally drank but as an apology they displayed a box chocolates and a fresh bowl of fruit in the room.

The food was really nice especially the breakfast, there was a situation that when we missed breakfast my mistake, they .laid out breakfast in the lounge for us twice the amount we asked for. But really good service.

There was no fitness or swimming pool but they did have a contract with two of the gyms where you can use their services at a discount prices, one of the gyms was Holmes place which I knew and is a very luxurious fitness centre in cologne for high end customers, complete with a spa, swimming pool, wellness area and gym.

The location was superb both close to the main train and bus station and very close to all the shops. This hotel is in the heart of cologne and a hotel that I have now pre booked my cologne stays with.

Overall, a wonderful luxurious landmark hotel with professional and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank euroboyde
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2009

Dear euroboyde,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We continuously strive to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations and we are delighted when this is achieved.

Concerning the room service we always try to clean up all rooms in the morning. I am sorry when this was not done during your stay. But be assured that requests at our front office for making the room and refilling the minibar the earliest possible will always be tried to meet.

I am also happy to read that you consider our food, especially our breakfast as really nice. For sure I will forward your comments to our staff to thank them for the good service!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am looking forward to welcome you again to our hotel your next time in Cologne and please feel free to contact us directly at any time if there is anything we can assist with.

There are newer reviews for Dom Hotel Koeln

Reviewed 9 August 2009

We arrived by train to the awesome site of the Dom Cathedral. After getting a Starbucks
at the train station we proceeded to walk to the other side of the Cathedral to find the
hotel, (which also had a starbucks nearby. ) The hotel staff spoke very good English,
were very friendly and helpful. Beds are not heavenly (but this isn't a Sheraton) but are
certainly comfortable. The only downside is the chuch bells that ring all night long and
ring about 5 minutes around 7AM, but it is worth it for the location. The very helpful
doorman at the hotel referred us to the Beer Gardens on the opposite side of the hotel,
Friih Am Dom, it was so much fun, good food and good beer. Cologne was so much fun,
lots of shopping and food within walking distance. I highly recommend this hotel as their
staff is so friendly, the hotel is very clean and beautiful. Starbucks do not take Starbucks cards here. Internet is $24 euros for 24 hrs.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank sheslyon
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2009

Dear Sheslyon,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the ideal location of our hotel and that you were pleased by the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

We are sorry for the fact that you got woken up by the cathedral bells. But you will understand that we are not able to offer this wonderful location just one step away from the beautiful church and completely silent rooms. The 24 ton Bell of St. Peter" - "Dicke Pitter" in the Kölsch dialect - was cast in 1922 and is the largest free-swinging bell in the world. But should you have the opportunity to come back and stay in our hotel we would be pleased to reserve you a room on the opposite side of the cathedral where bells can hardly be heard.

We would be happy to welcome you again! In the meantime, please feel free to contact us directly at any time.

Reviewed 29 July 2009

We stayed four nights in early July and very much enjoyed are stay and room which faced the Dom. The room was your typical German spotless clean, the sofa bed was prepared on arrival for my son,the front desk staff was very helpful and the location can't be better. If arriving by car, I would suggest parking somewhere near the Dom and then walking to the hotel first for info. The parkade parking turned out to be quite close and was reachable through the hotels basement exit. 18Euro per night. The breakfast was not as good as other Le Meridiens we have stayed at and the staff seemed to be more focused on the business types than the tourist families, we experienced this twice. If looking for a restaurant, I would highly suggest Peters Brauhaus.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Finkel1
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

Dear EdmontonFritz,

I am grateful that you have spent a pleasant stay with us in Cologne! Thank you for taking the time to write this review and to share your nice comments regarding our rooms, our staff and the location. Besides, be assured that I will share your feedback regarding the breakfast and the service you experienced with all the team.
I sincerely do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again at Le Méridien Dom Hotel. Please feel free to contact us directly in order to make your next booking or if there is anything further that we can assist you with.

Kind regards,
Juergen Sziegoleit

P.S.: I agree with you regarding Peters Brauhaus. It is one of the most traditional restaurants with typical food from Cologne in just 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel in the old part of Cologne.

Reviewed 17 July 2009

I stayed here for three nights during July. Although I had a little difficulty finding it because of construction, the gentleman who answered the hotel phone was super helpful and very friendly when I called to clarify directions. I ended up parking in the Parkhaus am Dom, section C1. The hotel has a door from this area of the garage. I met the same gentleman moments later after I arrived at the front desk and he greeted me in the same wonderful manner. I was speedily checked-in and sent to my room. With my room key, I was also provided a print-out of my SPG account balance and a letter from the hotel manager wishing me a warm welcome and encouraging me to review the hotel here, on TripAdvisor. The room itself was moderately sized with a sitting area, all tastefully decorated. The tv was older (not a flat screen) but all other conveniences looked brand new. The bathrom was set up in a slightly odd manner (see picture) but was nothing of consequence. The toilettries provided were of high quality and the food from the restaurant was delicious. Housekeeping staff were also very friendly and flexible to my odd schedule. And as mentioned in most other reviews, the location really is unbeatable. My room did not look onto the Dom itself, but I did enjoy a view of multiple cafes and shops adjacent to the Dom Cathedral. Overall, I left with that warm, fuzzy feeling.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank rileigh15
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2009

Dear rileigh15,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience.

I was delighted to read your comments and to hear that you were satisfied with our services and our staff to whom I will surely forward your feedback. This always helps to motivate us to do even more to make our guests feel comfortable and overall satisfied.

I am sorry about the fact that you were assigned a room with an older TV. Usually all our rooms are equipped with flat screens. During the last months we had to exchange some TVs because there were some that got broken. We are presently installing new flat screens so that during your possibly next stay in our hotel you will be surely enjoying one of our new flat TVs with the latest technology.
Our rooms do have mostly the same furniture but there are some bathrooms designed in a different manner than the room you stayed in. Should your travel plans allow you to come back to Cologne I would be more than happy to show you a room with another bathroom design you perhaps would like more.

I would be delighted to welcome you again in the Le Méridien Dom Hotel. Whenever there is anything we can do for you here in Cologne, please feel free to let us know any time.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

We stayed at the Dom Hotel for two nights during the Festival of Lights and the Formula One race in Nuhrburgring. The location is superb. It is on the same square as the magnificent Koln Cathedral. The staff was very warm welcoming and kind. If you are really lucky, you will be welcomed by the incredibly friendly, yet extremely professional Moritz Klocker. From the lovely piano music in the lounge to the relaxing terrace outside the first floor rooms, the Dom Hotel manages to combine small hotel warmth in a big city town. Only suggestion I would make is that they put clocks in the rooms. If you stay here, bring a watch.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LisaKnoxville
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

Dear LisaKnoxville,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion regarding your stay at the Dom Hotel. I am very delighted to hear that you have spent an amazing stay with us! Be assured that this kind of motivation will be shared with our team and engages them even more to provide the best possible experience to our guests.

I sincerely do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you once again.
In regards to your suggestion to install clocks in our rooms, we are always pleased to receive feedback of our guests in order to think of new ideas and improvements.

Thank you again, and please feel free to contact us directly if there is anything further that we can assist you with.

Reviewed 28 June 2009

There are no signs in the city how to reach the hotel with car, we found the car as we drove on the Dom square. Upon arriving nobody was there to do the valet parking or to grab our luggage out of the car. We had to do this ourselves. The reception informed us that we have to drive the car by our self to the garage as nobody in the hotel has his driver license that day. This is a poor service. The check in was great, very helpful, we were recognized etc. We went to our room and discovered that we did not have any view we were looking to an inside part of the hotel. We asked for an other room at the reception.
The reception told us that they had another room available for the extra price of €57 per night. We saw the room (view on the dom) and decided to take the room. I walked with the receptionist to the reception and he wrote the amount of €75 extra per night, I thought I misunderstood the first rate the receptionist said (€57), so I went upstairs and asked my partner what rate he expects to pay extra. He also said €57 instead of €75, but as I already signed for the extra price we did not mention it anymore.

The first night we stayed in the hotel for dinner. Had dinner at the square. We were asked to leave the square at 11.15 PM as they have to close the outside seating. We could go into the bar, but this was one smoking hole. We had coffee in the lounge.

Breakfast is good, but nobody is there to give you a table, you have to ask for coffee / tea and you are not immediately recognized as new guest. The eggs can be ordered, but several times nobody is there to bake the eggs. When you finally order the eggs, and they are baked they do not bring them to your table.

The second night we also wanted to have dinner in the hotel. We asked round 4.30 PM for a table on the terrace. The night before we could reserve a table now it was not possible as they do not take reservations at the terrace. So we said we wanted to go to the restaurant inside. At that time they said that the restaurant was closed on a Saturday night for a wedding. This is not acceptable. We chose this restaurant for the location and Michelin star restaurant and that restaurant is closed on a SATURDAY! The staff showed us another location where they would build the restaurant, this was a very disappointing room. We asked for other restaurants at the reception. Closing the restaurant without informing your guests is not the way you treat your paying hotel guests. They even did not make any arrangements with other restaurants in the area.

We ate at the Excelsior Ernst hotel this food was excellent. When we came back in the hotel the (wedding) guests were drunk (bar employees moved a man out of the bar), there was a lot of noise coming outside the restaurant where the wedding dinner took place (the music was way too loud), we did not like the atmosphere in the hotel anymore and said to each other we should have stayed in another hotel as this is ridiculous. Paying a good amount for your room, having lots of noise, no place to eat.

The hotel itself is good, the service is also good. Carpets are broken in some places, some paint is off the walls, damaged walls and chairs in the restaurant. No real china in the restaurants (terrace and breakfast). This is disappointing as it is a so-called 5 star hotel.

Not the best hotel we ever stayed but the location is the best!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2009

Dear Dutchguy71,

Your comments, wishes and suggestions are very important to us. We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention and informing us about the inconvenience you encountered during your stay at the Le Méridien Dom Hotel. We value both positive and negative feedback from our guests, as this is the only way to ensure continuous growth and development at our property.

We are already aware of the difficulties to find the way to our hotel and trying to make it easier for everyone to reach us by car. But it is not always easy to improve this situation as it often depends on negotiations between several parties including the authorities of Cologne when wishing to guide the way for example with panels. We do describe the way to our hotel on our website; you can find a detailed local map with directions, weather etc. by a simple click to map. Thank you again for helping us to improve.

We are pleased to hear that you consider our check in process as great and the staff at our reception as helpful; I have shared your comments with the rest of the team. I am sorry that the day you arrived there was nobody to help you with your luggage or parking the car. I do not want to excuse what happened but I would be glad if you could believe that this is certainly not our standard.
In this case we were short of staff due to annual leave and a one reception member who called in sick that same morning.

Regarding the extra price for the upgrade to a direct view to the famous cathedral of Cologne, I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding that could have been occured. Our prices between each room category always differ in an amount of 25 € so that an amount of 57 € would not have been charged. Maybe it was due to a linguistical mistake or just a normal misunderstanding but believe me, I am really sorry for that as it is for sure not our intention to displease our guests.

Concerning the opening hours of our outside terrace it is due to municipal regulations that we have to close all outside activities by 11 pm.
Usually during breakfast and dinner times we welcome our guests at the welcome desk of our restaurant to accompany them to their table. Sometimes this person has to leave its place to serve a guest just next to the desk or maybe it occurs due to a short time shortage. Anyway, I regret if you did not feel good all over or served up to you satisfaction. Be sure that I forwarded your comments to the restaurant team so that it can hopefully be avoided in the future. I also will share your feedback with our kitchen team. You are right when you say that it would be a better service to bring the eggs directly to the table after being ordered. We will take in consideration to change the egg service during breakfast.

Please let me clarify and explain the situation with the restaurant. Due to a big wedding the main restaurant was closed and we transferred the seating area to one of our private dinner rooms. I completely understand your point of view and I would like to apologize for not informing you prior to your arrival.

Unfortunately we could not reserve a table on the terrace that night as the outside restaurant was already fully booked. There were some tables left for around 6 pm but as my F&B Manager told me, you preferred having dinner at 8 pm. You are absolutely right that the private dining room has not the same character as the main restaurant with its winter garden atmosphere but due to the wedding ceremony we unfortunately did not have the possibility to offer you a table in our inside restaurant.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like the atmosphere when you came back from having dinner. I can assure you that our staff working in the bar and restaurant always try to do their best to keep and create a comfortable surrounding. For this reason, the Bar Manager kindly asked the guest to leave. The music was playing loud in the restaurant but there is a door between the inside restaurant and our bar. This door is always kept close unless guests are going through this door in order to use the toilet or going for a walk. Anyway, I understand that you would have preferred a calmer atmosphere; much to my regret we did not meet your expectations that Saturday night. I would much appreciate if you would give us a second opportunity to show you that this was only an exception. Usually the Sir Peter Ustinov’s Bar is a well known hotel bar in town and famous for its relaxed and good atmosphere.

Regarding the general condition of the hotel, I can assure you that we exchanged and repaired all equipment which was damaged with a high financial effort during the last years. In a historic hotel like the Dom Hotel, which was celebrating its 150th Birthday in 2007, renovation and maintenance is a never ending story. But please believe us, we are constantly working on this matter.

Reading through your comments, I was personally very touched and concerned. The Dom Hotel is striving to be known of its very personal and distinguished service and atmosphere. The entire team was put together to go through all points. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the above points and to have made your stay in Cologne not as expected.

Last but not least, I am happy to read that you consider our location as the best one in Cologne and that your general opinion was pretty good. I do hope that I will have the pleasure to welcome you once again at Le Méridien Dom Hotel. Should you plan to come back, do not hesitate to contact me in order to make sure that your stay is as pleasant as you rightly might expect.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2009

My husband and I decided to splurge on our last night in Germany by staying at the Dom Hotel. The hotel is less than a 2 minute walk from the Koln Hbf, and literally on the platz of the Dom cathedral. You cannot ask or wish for a better hotel location in Cologne, as the Dom Hotel is within walking distance to most of the major museums and cultural sights. We were upgraded by the friendly concierge to an executive suite with a balcony facing the Dom, so from the start we were smitten with the Dom Hotel. The quality of the room's furnishings and friendliness of the staff was outstanding. The room service staff even went out of their way to make me mint tea. I would say this was the best Starwood hotel experience we have had worldwide, and we will definitely be returning for another visit!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
DomHotel, General Manager at Dom Hotel Koeln, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2009

Dear ilikecupcakes,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review and sharing your experience.
I was very happy to read your comments and hear that you enjoyed your stay at Le Méridien Dom Hotel Cologne. By the way, I am delighted to hear that you consider our location as the best one in Cologne and even opine that our hotel was the best Starwood hotel you have ever been to. Believe me, this is the best way to thank me and my team!

Be assured that I do read all reviews and share any comments posted with the associates in the relevant departments. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel most comfortable during their stay with us and that each visit is a special one.

Whenever your travel plans give you the opportunity to come back again, please do not hesitate to contact us directly or if there is anything further that we can assist you with.