Pullman Cologne
US$89
US$137
US$104
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim(Cologne)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$80
US$78
Travelocity
1,908 results
All reviewsbreite strasseglass elevatorrooftop bargreat hotelminute walkdeluxe roomtop floornespresso machinerain showercorner roomcomfortable bedfree mini barshopping areanice roomquality hotelhotel barrestaurants and bars
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good Hotel, rooms comfortable and staff very accommodating. I just felt the place lacked atmosphere and that welcoming feeling… Not sure I would choose this Hotel again, its reasonably expensive but doesn't have the service to match.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A nice hotel which I would recommend for a short city break. Cologne was lovely and the bars, restaurants and shops close to the hotel where great. Not as busy as the old town or near the cathedral but nicer I thought. Rooms comfortable and modern. Didn't eat or drink at hotel but the staff seemed nice.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger with great balconies
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Excellent breakfast, probably the best in any hotel of this class I've stayed in around the world. Including Sparkling wine and Salmon on offer! Amazing bar on the top floor with a video fireplace that covers for big TV screens! Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: The higher the floor. obviously the better the view across Cologne.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had a great stay here. It's not right in the centre (about a 15-minute amble from the Cathedral) but really close to many other attractions including the (chilling but interesting) EL-DE Haus (a Gestapo prison during World War Two) and close to some great restaurants and traditional pubs including Paffgen Brauhaus. It's also convenient for the many Christmas markets if you're there in December. The staff are lovely, helpful and polite and speak great English (which was a relief after our poor attempt at German). The restaurant at the top is expensive and the menu not very extensive - it's definitely worth popping up for a (pricey) drink and admiring the view and the food looked good, but we chose to go elsewhere to eat and there's plenty in the area to choose from. Other benefits included:
- As it's not on a main road it's also really quiet so we weren't disturbed at all at night.
- Rooms are a nice size and the bathroom is lovely and modern
- The gym is nice and spacious compared to many hotels I've stayed at
- Breakfast was nice with lots to choose from
Check-out was quite late so there was no rush on our last day. The staff also let us leave our bags while we explored the city
- Free mineral water - it seems a minor point but was so handy as I seem to spend a lot of time seeking out shops that sell water when abroad!
- Although I've said it already it's worth saying again - the staff were fabulous.

The only (very minor) negatives were:
- Wifi is patchy at best, non-existent at worst.
- On our last day, despite the late checkout, staff seemed very keen to come and clean our room and knocked twice while we were still in bed.
- No pool - we had so much to do in Cologne I doubt we'd've had time to swim, but hotels like this often have one!

I would definitely recommend this hotel, though. In summary: good location, good sleep, GREAT staff.

Room Tip: You get a nice view if you're high up, and it's very quiet if you're overlooking the entrance (though you don't get the good view on this side).
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stayed here recently in order to see the Christmas markets and by and large, would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to do likewise.

The Dom is a good 10 - 15 minute walk away, so the hotel is not situated right in the heart of tourist Cologne. However, the hotel is fairly centrally situated for all the markets, with all of them within a comfortable 10 – 15 minute walk (so need to worry about having to use public transport to get to them). But the hotel’s location is not entirely brilliant – leaving the hotel for the first time, we turned right out of the reception to take what seemed the quickest way to the Dom (down Zeughaus Street) and it certainly wasn’t a pleasant walk – in fact returning that way to the hotel from the Dom one night we came across a large number of homeless people being fed from a soup kitchen only a few hundred yards away from the hotel. (I stress I didn’t feel threatened in any way but nevertheless on a dark night on a badly lit road in a strange city it was a bit disconcerting).

Having said the above, we quickly discovered that if you turned left out of the hotel’s main reception, you were on Cologne’s main shopping streets in minutes. So I would definitely recommend making your way to and from the Dom using the pedestrianised shopping streets – a much more pleasant experience.

The hotel is clearly aimed at the business traveller and provides what you would expect in such circumstances – identical, clean (but not spotlessly – quite a lot of dust in one of the rooms I booked), comfortable rooms that are functional, warm (although we found our room a little too hot and changing the air conditioning controls seemed to have little effect), have a constant supply of hot water for the shower and comfortable beds. We booked a standard superior room and I thought it was a perfectly reasonable size. It had a nicely laid out bathroom although I struggle to understand why there is a clear window in the side of the bathroom wall! (Fortunately there is a modesty blind that you can pull down). Had the same sort of thing in the hotel we stayed at in Barcelona recently so I guess I can’t be trendy enough for modern hotels!

The room had a kettle provided but I did find the replacement of T-bags etc on the mean side, so take a supply of your own if you want more than one drink. Likewise there was a bottle of water supplied on arrival but no further supplies provided after that – given that it is not cheap to stay here and the few pence that it would cost to provide a daily replenishment, this does seem mean to me. There was a free in-room safe and the TV had a few English channels – BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC World News and Sky News. There were 2 forms of Wi-fi available – a free one and a premium service but didn’t use either so can’t comment on whether the free one was good enough to use.

Like many others, I must mention the superb breakfast. Just about everything you could possibly want, with a chef on duty to cook your eggs however you like them! Make sure you get a package that includes breakfast, otherwise it is an expensive 24 euros.

Basically, we had a very enjoyable stay and the only reason I give the hotel 4 stars and not 5 is that I found the front desk staff efficient but not very friendly or helpful. On checking in, we were just given our room key – no offer of a map, description of the area, times of breakfast etc. (Incidentally, the hotel had next to no literature on the town either in the lobby or the bedrooms, so do your homework before you go or visit the very good tourist centre near the Dom). Our request for a restaurant recommendation one evening was just met with a curt go to the Neumarket. And like a reviewer below, our bill was wrong when we checked out as the discount that was due from the package we booked was not applied to the bill. This shouldn’t be happening in a hotel of this class.

Overall, I would definitely recommend but would also hope that the front desk staff be a little more helpful to guests who are obviously tourists.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family