“Nice place, friendly staff, wouldn't rate it overall at 5 stars”

Excelsior Hotel Ernst
Ranked #2 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Nice place, friendly staff, wouldn't rate it overall at 5 stars”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

A nice place, well located to discover Koln and visit the messe.

Very friendly and helpful staff, nicely renovated rooms overall good quality. Hans Stube restaurant is excellent. Breakfast a bit clumsy setup and basic for a hotel at this level.

Wireless internet in the room a hassle to access, connection keeps dropping and slow. A 5 star hotel should simply provide free wifi in the whole place like, it's nothing different than water from the tap.

Overall OK.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
EHEKoeln, Manager at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear JanfromG,

Thank you for your comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We are glad to read that you was pleased with the friendly and helpful staff and the facilities of the rooms. Thank you as well for the compliment regarding to our restaurant Hanse Stube. We deeply regret that we did not reach all of your expectations this time. We will verify your remark regarding to the internet access. We appreciate any kind of criticism. That way we can resolve your point of criticism satisfactorily.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel in the not too distant future

for the Excelsior Hotel Ernst team,

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have stayed at three others in the Leading Hotels of the World group, and they are all fabulous hotels if you like old-world style and excellent service (and are willing to pay for it). If you join the Leaders Club ($150USD/year) you get free room upgrades, Internet, and continental breakfast for two, which is probably worth it if you only stay for a few days. The Ernst is immediately adjacent to the rail station and the magnificent Dom, and Cologne is easy to get around. As others have said, the rooms are sumptuous; I particularly liked the offer of several different kinds of pillows. The concierge was most friendly and set up a one-day Rhine cruise for me, and ensured I knew exactly what to do, which was wonderful since I don't speak any German. The breakfast is excellent and is served until 11:00a.m. My only slight complaint is the Internet service; I stayed at three hotels in Germany on this trip and although the wi-fi service at the Ernst was the best, you're limited to 250mb uploads on any one session so your Skype call home will only last at most half an hour. You can keep renewing the sessions, but it's a bit annoying. All in all, though, I'm very happy with all the LHW and the Ernst was no exception.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LOL55186361
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to evaluate the Excelsior Hotel Ernst as well for the compliments on our rooms and service philosophy on this portal.
We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and it is great to read that we could surprise you with our central location next to the Cathedral, the rail station and the historic centre.
We are very happy that our offer of several different kinds of pillows suits you.
Furthermore it we are glad that you are content with the exceptional advantages of being a Leaders Club member.
We would like to thank you for your constructive criticism relating to the internet access we will introduce the necessary steps to rectify the problem.

We hope to welcome you again at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

Warm regards,

Shillelagh Co Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

This hotel has a big heart, as well as being in the very heart of Cologne opposite the cathedral and close by the railway station.

As others have said, it is an old and very gracious hotel, both in architecture and service, which is the friendliest, kindest and most helpful we have ever found, anywhere. It was also very efficient. From check-in with the lovely Rebecca who gave us such a warm welcome, to Luciano on the door; Christos [who organised tickets to the Opera, hairdresser and recommended good quality shops locally. Try Sauer's - I purchased a beautiful classic coat there]; to the very young trainee lad in the breakfast room - all the staff were simply superb.

We were given an amazing spacious suite facing the cathedral and plaza with two sets of french windows, It was a great place to 'watch the world go by' as well as all the talented street artistes who performed throughout the day in the square. The suite was gracious and well appointed, with a large desk, comfortable seating and complimentary mini-bar. My only reservation was that the bathroom had no separate shower [though two hand basins and a bidet], and the bath had rather high sides for climbing in and out! The large bedroom was at the back of the suite and had plenty of storage space. The bed was sooo comfortable, with the fluffiest pillows and duvets ever. You are also offered a selection of different types of pillow [from spelt to neck support etc].

Excelsior Hotel Ernst is an exceptional place - a real joy to stay in. We will return!

Cologne is a lovely city with a myriad of restaurants. The cathedral alone is stunning, and there are excellent museums. A great place for a short break, and so accessible. We flew from Dublin to Dusseldorff [1hr 25 mins] and picked up an express train in the airport, arriving in Cologne 35 mins later. The hotel is one minute from the station across a pedestrianised square.

Room Tip: Room 305 gives an uninterrupted view of cathedral and plaza.
1 Thank countrybumkin
Dear Countrybumkin,

we are deeply grateful for you detailed and positive review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and it makes us proud that we could convince you with our service philosophy “Your individuality is our excellence”, lived by all of our staff and we aim for making your stay an unforgettable experience.
To all our staff it is priority to make our guests feel at home as much as possible and It is our daily ambition to create a comfortable atmosphere for every guest each day anew. We are happy that you felt at ease in our room and it suits us to read that you was stoked due to the comfortable bed and our pillow-selection.
It is great to read that we could surprise you not only with our excellent location next to the Cathedral and the fantastic view on the Cathedral but also with the design and the atmosphere of the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We are happy that you had such a pleasant stay in Cologne and the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again
Warm regards,

For the Excelsior Hotel Ernst team,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I selected this hotel at the recommendation of a colleague who works in the area and uses this hotel for guests to the company. I noticed it was perfectly located within just a few meters of the Hbf and nearly directly across from the Dom (cathedral). The ratings were all very good so I decided to stay for 3 nights while on business in Cologne. I have been to the city before and stayed at another hotel that was good but not this level.
The entrance to the hotel and greeting were outstanding. The staff were terrific and the person who checked me in took me to my room and showed me around. I had selected the least expensive option for a room and found the hotel was fully booked on my arrival so I had no option to upgrade. My room was nice appointed but very small and more seriously had no desk to put a laptop to work. As I was on business this was a rather significant inconvenience but I knew when I booked that I was taking the smallest and cheapest room. There was a large armchair in the room and I would rather have ditched the chair and added a small desk. On the positive side, my package included unlimited access to the minibar at no charge which I think is quite exceptional. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful. On the downside, during my stay, some serious renovations were being conducted on the breakfast room where a new carpet was being installed, and another room near mine. The noise was quite distracting and annoying and even took place early Saturday morning. I am an early riser so this was not the issue, but rather the constant drone of a concrete drill was tough to take. I think the hotel should have either posted this information for the period of the renovation or let me know on check-in and offered some kind of apology, voucher for a meal or a drink or something to compensate for this irritation. Two days of noise is a bit much in my view.
So overall I would say that the better rooms are worth the investment since they are clearly much superior to the entry level room. The breakfast was excellent, the staff were great with the exception of how they responded to my concern about the noise. I would definitely return but take an upgraded room. Cologne is a spectacular place to visit.

Room Tip: Do not select the lowest priced room unless you are not planning to work and are visiting for sights...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChemProf9
EHEKoeln, Manager at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear ChemProf 9,

Thank you for your detailed comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We are delighted to read that you have been pleased with our staff and that you was enthused about our entrance and the greeting. We regret that we could not reach all your expectations relating to the furnishing of your room. Furthermore we apologies for the noise due to the renovations on our breakfast room during your stay. We regret that you was disturbed and excuse ourselves for the inconvenience. We take your feedback very seriously and will introduce the necessary steps to rectify the problem for the future.

In addition we are glad that you enjoyed not only the unlimited access of the minibar but also the breakfast.
Your personal opinion is the basis for our employees to guarantee a consistently high level of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst.

Für das Excelsior Hotel Ernst Team

Geschäftsf. Direktor
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel in August and was very pleased with the facilities and the overall experience. We were particularly pleased with the service at our arrival, as we arrived before 8am and instead of just storing our luggage, the staff decided to upgrade us to a room that was already available and we were able to check in right away instead of the normal check-in time of 3pm. The breakfast selection was not huge but it was good quality and I was particularly happy to find soy milk on the menu. The room was nice, although the glass door and the telephone of the toilet puzzled us somewhat... Also, I can only agree on what has been said of the location: I arrived by train, and was happy to find the hotel very close to not only the cathedral but also the railway station.

Room Tip: I recommend the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
EHEKoeln, Manager at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear voyager,

Thank you very much for taking time to evaluate our hotel in this portal. We are glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you appreciated the location directly to the cathedral. Furthermore we are suit reading that the kindness of our staff embellish your stay. From that we take our aspiration to guarantee a consistently high level of service. Therefore we are especially happy about your positive evaluation. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

For the Excelsior Hotel Ernst Team,

Falirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

This is a lovely hotel and its situation could not be bettered. It's immediately opposite the most famous building in the city i.e. the cathedral. It's also 100 yards from the railway station and the concert hall. The staff were lovely, especially in the bar and restaurants (both of which were superb). Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Unfortunately, we didn't have a view of the cathedral, but it was only a few steps from the front door.

Room Tip: High floor with a cathedral view (not essential, but preferable)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
EHEKoeln, Manager at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear voyager,

Thank you very much for taking time to evaluate our hotel in this portal. We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We put great emphasis on the opinion of our guests. From that we take our aspiration to guarantee a consistently high level of service. Therefore we are especially happy about your positive evaluation. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

For the Excelsior Hotel Ernst Team,