“Grand Hotel”

Excelsior Hotel Ernst
Ranked #2 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The location is perfect, the staff is outstanding, and the rooms have the grandeur of a fine old hotel. my only complaint was the internet -- slow and expensive. you should be able to pick up a t-mobile signal, much better and much cheaper.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

This hotel, and the people who run it, are absolutely fantastic. I made a reservation and let them know I would be arriving by train for my first time in Cologne. They emailed me back letting me know they would try to get me a city view room and would pick me up directly from the train station. The morning I arrived (8am) a very nice gentleman from the hotel met me on the platform, took my bags, and walked me to the hotel. They made sure a room was available for me as soon as possible and I was in the room by 10am. The room was extremely nice, more vintage than I expected in the middle of the city, and very clean. I was only there one night, but everyone was extremely helpful (they even let me borrow a power adapter), very polite, and made me feel welcome. The only down site I can claim is that the internet was 22 Euro for 24 hours. This is higher than I expected, but there are free wifi around if you know where to look.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I can not imagine a finer hotel in Cologne. The service was spectacular and the location was superb. For a treat have diner at Hansee Stube one of the finest restaurants in Germany. If you want to treat yourself to the finer things in life then stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

It is very good hotel. I enjoyed everything. Service was perfect, rooms were spacious enough. Breakfast was very good. It will be ideal both for people coming on businness and for travellers.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very positive aspects:

location near the Dom and other major attractions, friendly reception,

Not so good:

wear and tear of equipment, poor service at the breakfast 510 minutes a waiter daring to ask you for your selection of hot drink), no coffee/tee devise in the room,

In conclusion:

more looking to a 4star Hotel and over ranked as a "Leading Hotel...

Disappointed, I will next month I will book another Hotel in this town.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2013

A nice 5-star oasis at the foot of the Dom away from all the activities in Cologne but still at the heart of it. We were at the front with Dom view at quite a good two-day rate during weekdays. But the room(s?) in this part of the hotel were dated, going back to the 80s. Breakfast very nice but did not bowl us over. Downstairs Bar is a hit though if you like an all-lacquered-oak American style bar with great bartending. Those were our finest hours in the hotel. Rooms at the far back are allegedly fully renovated but without Dom view. Latter is not a problem as you can't escape Dom views wherever you are in Cologne anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for the fully renovated ones.....
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hendrik V
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I can't imagine a finer hotel in all of Cologne. It really wa a wonderful experience staying at this grand establishment. We chose a junior suite for myself, my husband and our 10 year old daughter. The room was lovely, large, well lit and had all the amentities you could ask for. The free mini bar which was replenished twice a day consisted of juices, sparkling and still water, and of course, Kölsch. There was also a menu for every type of pillow you could ever imagine. My daughter chose a horse hair pillow just for the fun of it and it was there for evening turndown. The hotel itself is in a wonderful area. It is located directly across the street from Dom Cathedral and if you are there for the Christmas markets you are a five minute walk from the doorstep to the entrance. There are wonderful restaurants next door or across the street including, Früe am Dom and Gaffel Haus to name a few. The shopping mile and the train station are also just a few minutes walk from the hotel making everything easily accessible. We will definitely return to Cologne one day and this is the only place I will stay....We have been completely spoiled!

Room Tip: Join the Leaders Club (there is a fee) and book through their website for free room upgrades, wifi a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Travellers also viewed these Cologne hotels
Hyatt Regency Cologne
#6 of 263 in Cologne
Stern am Rathaus
Stern am Rathaus
#1 of 263 in Cologne

Been to Excelsior Hotel Ernst? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Excelsior Hotel Ernst

Address: Trankgasse 1 - 5, 50667 Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Region: Germany > North Rhine-Westphalia > Cologne > Altstadt-Nord
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites
#1 Luxury Hotel in Cologne
#2 Family Hotel in Cologne
#2 Romantic Hotel in Cologne
#3 Business Hotel in Cologne
Price Range: £148 - £485 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Excelsior Hotel Ernst 5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Excelsior Hotel Ernst reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Excelsior Hotel Cologne