“Not So Good Experience”

Excelsior Hotel Ernst
Ranked #2 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have been a Tripadvisor member for many years and have benefited greatly from the Tripadvisor reviews, but I have not previously reciprocated with a review. However, my level of annoyance with the Excelsior Ernst in Cologne has provided me with the motivation for submitting a first review. I booked my reservation approximately six weeks in advance and I arrived at the hotel at 2:30 PM. I was informed that a room was not available and that check-in time was 3 PM. OK, that's standard, but I am on the road about 100 days per year and rarely have I had to wait until 3 PM for a room. However, since they were applying the rules strictly, I will too in this review. I returned to the hotel at 3 PM and was ushered to a room with no air conditioning on a busy street and I was told that I should keep the windows open if I wanted to cool the room. It was a very hot Spring day in Cologne and thus I returned to the front desk and asked for a room with air conditioning, which should anyway be standard at a hotel of the level which the Ernst claims. At this point it was explained to me that they were fully booked by a group, which had just booked several days ago, and that there were no other rooms available. I commented that the hotel did not appear very busy for a hotel that was fully booked and the desk person said, oh, we have fifty more guests from the group checking in later. So, they had fifty guests, who had just booked several days ago, checking in later, but they did not have a room available at 2:30 PM for a guest who had booked six weeks ago. I was not getting a good impression. They next took me to a room in an extension of the hotel that had been tacked onto the back of the main building. This section had an atrium lobby that was like a sauna. The room however had AC, and I said it would be OK, not knowing until several hours later that the AC could not keep up with the heat, so it was windows open all night on a busy street anyway. This wing of the hotel had the air of a no-man's land. Despite the hotel purportedly being fully booked, there appeared to be almost no one in this wing other than me, and perhaps for good reason: the wing was ugly and it had the air of being unused, with creaky banged-up mystery doors that lead to service areas. A few minor points, one of the double sink taps spewed out steaming hot water and the water temperature could not be adjusted. The other tap worked. The toilet seat in the bathroom of the first room I was shown was falling off, and at least this was not a problem in the second room. However, the feeling I had was that I was being shunted around to substandard rooms which were normally not pressed into service unless the hotel was mostly booked, and that this was being done so that they could accommodate the large group. This was reinforced with every contact I had with any of the staff, who all made a point of saying that they were fully booked because of the group (apparently bankers) who had just booked several days before. After a night of poor sleep in a hot room with the windows open, and noise from the street, I contacted Marriott and found out that they had rooms available for what would be my second and final night in Cologne. I informed the front desk of the Ernst that I was checking out. This was around 9 AM in the morning. The person at the desk seemed a little dismayed but said, as though she was making a major concession, that they would not charge me for the second night. Not charge me! On what basis would they charge me? I don't recall anything thing in the reservation details that committed me to two nights. For a lawyer, I am admittedly a little lax about these details, except when it is for my client, but in any case any obligation to pay for a second night would have been conditioned on the hotel's ability to provide a room at the level and condition that was represented, and the apologies that I received from the hotel staff, orally, and by subsequent email, indicate that the hotel dismally failed to do so. I thought playing the card for the second night charge was going just a little to far. I generally like older hotels with character, and I am willing to accept some short comings for the experience. However, the compromises in quality, service, and integrity at the Ernst were not worth the experience. By the way, the Marriott was quite nice and also well located; and that's the hotel I would recommend in Cologne. At the Ernst I was told that the AC was not yet up to speed because it was the first hot day of the year. At the Marriott the AC was running as it should be, first hot day or whatever of the year, and no excuses for anything. Here's to being a more frequent reviewer in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid any room without air-conditioning, except maybe in the dead of winter. Also avoid the added o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Singapore57
EHEKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Singapore57,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We deeply regret that we did not reach all your expectations and sincerely hope you accept our apologies for the inconveniences caused. We take your feedback very seriously and will introduce the necessary steps to rectify the problem. Please be assured that our attention is continuously turned to details as well as quality and we hope we can regain your trust again. Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel in the not too distant future I remain

for the Excelsior Hotel Ernst Team,

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Next to Cologne Cathedral. Two great restaurants and bar that serves excellent food. Hotel has great service. It is a little old school but that's not bad. Just don't expect an ultra modern place.

• Stayed: March 2013
EHEKoeln, Geschäftsführer at Excelsior Hotel Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear voyager,

Thank you very much for taking your time to evaluate our hotel on this portal. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Staff were very helpful, Location great right in the centre of Cologne room very good the only thing that lets down the hotel is no coffee/tea machine in bedroom and the breakfast was poor not a very good choice

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SkipperDevon,

Not long ago you were our guest at the Excelsior Hotel Ernst. We would like to thank you for taking time to asses our hotel. We appreciate any kind of criticism. Your comments help us to improve our personalized service and to anticipate our guest’s individual desires. We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were put in a room that has not yet been re-vamped but that said it was still beautiful & very comfortable.

It felt a little cold at times despite the two radiators turned on full, the double glazing patio doors did let in a little breeze but did muffle all but a little of the hotside noise including the Cathedral bells which is commendable as it was less than a stone throw away.

The free mini-bar was a little of a let down. It contained two beers, four waters and two cokes.

The staff were friendly and helpful. although walking in with a Macdonalds coffee was met by a disgusted look by the concierge at one oclock in the morning. Perhaps he was just thirsty himself!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear CareTaken,

Thank you very much for taking time to evaluate our hotel in this portal. We appreciate any kind of criticism. Your comments help us to improve our personalized service and to anticipate our guest’s individual desires. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again, to finally convince you of the quality of our service.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

So happy we booked a deluxe renovated room. The standard rooms are disappointing. They just don't deliver the same level of understated luxury being old and tired. Like the hotel corridors, the deluxe rooms are spacious but might feel a bit empty (no painting on the wall). The very comfortable beds and the large and extremely high quality bathroom make it a great room though. Even more so because we were able to open a window and still enjoy silence. Our inner court Room 521 even offered a nice view on the Dom.

The minibar is for free. You might want to inform the hotel in advance what you like to drink (maybe you like some extra water in stead of two kinds of beer.

Finding the hotel was easy. Next to the Dom and Bahnhof. Public parking on the opposite site (underneath the Dom square). Euro 22,00 for 24 hours. Valet parking available of course. The hotel lobby is remarkably unimpressive. But service is prompt, efficient and kind. The doormen are trained not to allow in people who do not belong here. The concierge is professional. All staff members act as if they work here for years now.

The hotel is expensive but offers some good weekend rates. If you want to watch your budget, skip breakfast. Plenty high quality affordable options nearby (and even next door - Kamps bakery).

We added some preferences to our booking: high floor, non allergic flat pillows, non-smoking, soft deck on the mattress. All preferences were met. Nothing special to this staff.

Check out was easy and fast. And the normal exit services were provided promptly. At the door, the last question 'can we mean anything more for you?' showed staff was willing to go the extra length. This hotel is a valuable member to the LHW collection and we think the best hotel in Cologne (if you book the right room...).

Room Tip: Book a renovated deluxe room. Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeesE
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The location is perfect, the staff is outstanding, and the rooms have the grandeur of a fine old hotel. my only complaint was the internet -- slow and expensive. you should be able to pick up a t-mobile signal, much better and much cheaper.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business