Novum Hotel Leonet Cologne Altstadt
Hilton Cologne(Cologne)
US$147
US$127
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim(Cologne)(Great Value!)
US$78
Agoda.com
US$107
US$85
  • Room Service
All reviewsbudget hotelshort breakquiet streetthe hotel is perfectly locatedu bahnbooked this hotelbreakfast is servedspent nightschristmas marketfirst floortriple roomrestaurants and barsin decembervisit colognetram5euroscheese
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 day visit to the Christmas markets. The hotel was affordable for our modest budget and we were not disappointed with either service or room. We were on the first floor and overlooked a minor street in the city. Views not great but we didn't expect anything else. I was certainly pleased that the window would open properly to allow fresh air and that the room was not ridiculously warm in fact it was just right. The bathroom was compact but very clean and perfectly serviceable. Now the breakfast, this was extremely good and far exceeded my expectations. Excellent bread rolls (why can continental nations do such brilliant mass produced bread and England produce such an inferior version) tremendous coffee, fruit, eggs, wursts various. This food was as good as you would get in much more expensive places indeed quite a highlight of the trip.Staff were helpful and efficient but we saw little of them except at check in and out. Breakfast service staff were good.
Conclusion, no whistles and bells but we didn't pay for them. If you want clean, comfortable warm shower, belting breakfast then you can do much worse than here,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rory H
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This time I did not make the mistake of booking a single room for the sake of saving 10 euros, the double room was perfectly fine (nothing special, but fits the purpose). For some reason it is still considered a good idea to leave all windows open after cleaning (it was 3C outside...) so the room is ice cold as one enters but the heating is good, it was OK within five minutes. Locaton is excellent, 5' from the Rudolfplatz underground station, and there is a big Lidl supermarket just a corner away on the Hansaring if one wishes to economise on food/drinks. Breakfast is decent, but forget the coffee... Overall if one catches a good deal it is well worth it, but I would never pay the list price for it.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms on the ground floor, they are substandard on all counts. The couple of extra euros for a standard double room is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Despite some of the reviews I have seen regarding this hotel, we actually found it very welcoming, warm, clean and quiet (despite its location near to some major thoroughfares).

The approach to the hotel did give us a couple of worries, but these were unfounded once we arrived and checked in. The room was clean and tidy, the bathroom impeccably so. Despite being beside the lift, there was no noise from it. The only bother I had with the room was the pillows - WAY too soft and perhaps old? My neck is still bad three days later.

There is no restaurant / evening meal, so we had to walk around to find somewhere (which we did thanks to the kind advice of the reception staff). This however wasn't helped by two tired children.

Breakfast was really nice, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The only other niggle - and this is not the hotel's fault by any means - is that if you arrive by car there are only seven parking spaces. On street parking outside is for permit holders only on weekdays, and so you have to park in an underground carpark two streets away for 18 Euros per night. A bit of a shock, but when you see that the carpark is literally two minutes' walk away, it's not THAT bad.

Oh and one other thing - I was a bit uncomfortable with the number of people smoking directly outside the hotel's front doors (reception staff included). Walking past a cloud of cigarette smoke with a 2- and a 5-year-old is not ideal ...

I would recommend this hotel to families if their stay was for one or maybe two nights only.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, good deal from hotel.com.
Room was neat and tidy, bathroom a little small, but the shower was fine.
A major plus point was the outstanding breakfast, even for a veggie like me there was plenty of choice, the efficient staff were always refilling the food. Scrambled egg was the best I'd ever tasted.
Now the minus points, first of all there were two in the room however they only allow you one key, I found this a little strange and I'd not known this before, there seems to be no good reason for it.
Secondly although it was end of October the room was far too hot even without the heating on and the windows open, I wouldn't care to stay here in mid summer. A kettle in the room would be nice too.
I'd stay there again (not in warm weather) as the location and breakfast are worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed there during dmexco as it was the only option (had to book a year in advance to have something better).

Cold room, looks like never renovated, all in one bootle with hand/body/hair wash which smells not so good.

I do not recommend.