“Practically Perfect”

Ranked #23 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Practically Perfect”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights in Köln at different properties each night. The Hilton was exactly as one would expect. Was upgraded to a deluxe room upon arrival - which was nice and appreciated.

Great staff, great rooms, perfect location. I like the room decor and the wood floors they made an already spotless room seem even cleaner.

I had 3 negative experiences;the shower is tiny and we like to shower together - this is trivial - we dealt with it just fine. ;) Though my biggest issue is having spent $315.00 to stay there I get a little offended when they want me to spend another $10.00 for wifi. Transparency is better, just raise the rate by $10.00 if you need to - I hate feeling like I'm being "nickeled and dimed". The 3rd is that I ordered a beer from the ice bar and was sitting at an outside table - another guest spilled the beer and there was no offer by either the guest of the server to replace it.

Be sure to eat at the Dominnakaner just at the corner by the hotel. Great food.

• Stayed July 2014
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relation Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear nave0510,

thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Cologne and sharing you experiences on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Cologne and our hotel.
If you visit Cologne in the future it would be our pleasure to be your host again and we are already looking forward to it.

Best regards

Christina Cox
Guest Relation Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The very central location was the reason for choosing the hotel. Real close to the Dom and the Central Train Station, although we arrived by car (parking E28 per day, easy around the block), Cologne is not a difficult city to drive. The hotel is not very beautiful outside or inside, but is very comfortable, well maintained and good value. Would consider it an upper four stars. Our room was very good, no vistas, the package Weekend Hilton Honors included breakfast - excellent - and wifi.
Did not dine at the popular restaurant at the hotel for it was full with locals who appreciate the seafood festival it holds, and we had no reservation. Staff was kind to indicate nerby options (used the good Damiano, an Italian half a block away).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Ernando

Greetings from Cologne!

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Cologne and for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a good time in Cologne.
It would be our pleasure to reserve a table for our famous Boston Fishmarket Buffet for your next stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you hopefully soon in our beautiful Dom city and our hotel.

Best regards,
Berlin
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've come here several times and enjoy the hospitality of Hilton Cologne more and more. The best thing is the location close to dome and railway main station - you reach both within 5 minute walks. And the station brings you in 10 Minutes to CGN, Colognes airport. No taxi needed. Verry friendly staff, nice building, nice interior, everything is quite nice here. Car rental Sixt is right in the building as a nice Bar called "Ice Bar" I guess is also provided. The beds might seem a little firm and lean for some people (especially Americans), but actually there quite alright. Breakfast is typical Hilton Style: You'll find a simply standard, no surprises, no special features like fish or little cups with fancy salads or something like that. But you get a lot of Orange Juice, good coffee, pan cakes, omlettes and that kind of stuff from a breakfast cock. I think they kind of improved the facility management and now little defects on baseboards or cupboard surfaces are refinished quickly. Also the air conditioner - which was out of order the last time a stood at Hilton Cologne - does a great job today. Although it's extremely hot outside today, it's a steady flow of cool air in my room, exactly how I like it. So what's missing for perfection? Only little, very little things: Maybe a pool would be nice, which is missing. But on the other hand you've got this two nice saunas (don't forget to take your shorts of - it's strongly mandated in Europe) and a little gym with about 20 training machines by Precor and some barbells. Else? The sun blinds - at least in my room 426 - are to short to cover all three windows and the sun shines in my room in the very morning. I now, not everybody has a problem sleeping with light, but I prefer a dark bedroom. But again: these are very small shortcomings, easily outperformed by all the advantages this accommodation offers. That is why I strongly recommend to all Cologne-Travellers and business people: take this Hotel if possible. (Tipp: If there's no room for you at Hilton, check for Dorint Cologne Messe/Deutz (Fare), only one station away with local trains, which also offers a very good accommodation in Cologne.)

Room Tip: Take a deluxe room at least, normal rooms are fairly tide.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hilton_Cologne, Guest Relation Supervisor at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear oliver_berlin,

greetings from Cologne and many thanks for your detailed comment on Tripadvisor.
It was our pleasure having the chance to contribute to an unforgettable stay here in Cologne.
Please be assured that I will pass on your nice comment to our whole team as this is a great motivation for all of us. Thank you very much!
Furthermore this is our chance to enhance our service of hospitality so that I will for sure pass on your honest feedback as well to your hotel management and the involved departments.
Dear oliver_berlin, we are already looking forward to be your host during your future stays in Cologne.

Best regards from Cologne

Christina Cox
Guest Relation Supervisor
Woody Point, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Hilton Cologne is splendidly situated. It is within walking distance of the Hauptbahnof, and is an even shorter walk to the famous cathedral. Our room was very spacious and made us feel at home. There was not much of a view from our room, but there were lovely views just a few minutes walk away. Breakfast was included in our package, and it was a delightful meal each morning in a very pleasant breakfast room. There is a restaurant in the hotel, and plenty of other restaurants close by.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton_Cologne, Manager at Hilton Cologne, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Don E,

Greetings from our beautiful Dom City!

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hilton Cologne.
Your nice comment about our breakfast buffet, will be shared with our Chef and his team.
Thank you very much!
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon to Cologne and our hotel.

Best regards,

Hilton Cologne
Alassio, Italy
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've been here quite a few times before, on business trips like this time. This hotel exemplifies for me a visibly greedy approach that is becoming everywhere else in the world a thing of the past.

First surprise, my company's contracted rate could not be applied for some mysterious unavailability reason (but I was given a standard room at a standard rate though... making one wonder what are contracted rates for).

As I get into my room, I look for an improvement I have been waiting for years: complimentary bottled water. No way! They place a very visible nice bottle of (cheap) water encouraging customers to 'hydrate' for a mere... 5 euros and 95 ! On the plus side, if you go for apple juice that will be 1€ cheaper (I missed that - when did this happen? Look forward to apple juice on tap).

You would think that at least, this hotel will be servicing to the highest standards. No way. There's no slippers and bathrobe; toiletries are kept to a minimum e.g. no toothbrush and shaving aids; air conditioning even at minimum fan speed is noisy at night (and cannot be turned off); there's no bedside centralized controls for the whole room; wifi - again - is chargeable except for Gold Hilton Honors members and above; the shower head is cheap and water flow modest.

Sure, the rooms are otherwise average sized and reasonably comfortable.

I was considering that my Tripadvisor feedback was going to be overly mean, and wondering whether I was being biased in any way, until I came back to my room at 9pm on the second day and... the room had not been made up since I left it in the morning! I told reception, went out for another half hour, came back and it was OK, but didn't get any subsequent particular apology or explanation from management.

Time for Hilton to have a serious think about what they are doing with their Cologne hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Roberto_NW_Italy,

thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Cologne and for sharing your experiences with us.
I am concerned to hear that your stay was not like expected.
Please be assured that we take your feedback very serious and will discuss your mentioned points with our management.
Regarding the amenities in your room/ bathroom, we would be more than pleased to provide your room for your next stay with Slippers, bathrobes, toothbrush etc.

Dear Roberto_NW_Italy, I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences we have caused and hope you give us a second chance to deliver our Hilton standard.

Kind regards,

fremantle Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Large, clean room with friendly and helpful front desk service.....as others have mentioned, the location cannot be faulted- close to the train station, cathedral and old city.
Minus points are expensive wifi, breakfast.....
Would return in a flash

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laflafs
Dear laflafs,

thank you for staying at the Hilton Cologne and your nice feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are more than pleased to see that your stay with us met your expectations and you enjoyed your time in Cologne.
I am looking forward to welcome you back in Cologne and our hotel, hopefully soon.

Best regards from,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location is wonderful, just a block from the Cologne Hbf (which is across the Plaza from the Dom Cathedral). The Reception was warm and welcoming; they had even upgraded us to a better room, without a request from us. The room was good sized with a king bed, very clean, and comfortable. The best surprise was the view of the Dom from our room. The work-out facilities are very clean and new, and they have two saunas and a steam room, which is nice a cool rainy day. The restaurant waitstaff provided impeccable service. My husband had the best wiener schnitzel he has ever had.The concierge desk was closed, but the staff member (Thank you Jessica!) on duty at check-in even helped us plan a Rhine River day cruise from Bingen using local train service. The Ice Bar had great drinks, but it was a little too cold to stay a long time. The lobby bar had good food and drinks and fast service. We had a very enjoyable stay. Only complaint would be that free wifi in the room is only given to HHonors Gold members or above and available to others at a cost of 20 euros a day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NYCroadtrippers,

Greetings from Cologne!
I am pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Cologne.
Your comment is much appreciated and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on Tripadvisor.
It was our pleasure to be your host and the entire Hilton Cologne Team is looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Best regards from Cologne,