“Modern, quirky, fun”

The New Yorker | HOTEL
Ranked #110 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Friends had booked the hotel for a joint birthday party, doing their own catering, as this hotel only does breakfast. I arrived 2 1/5 hours late but the chap at check in was so friendly and welcoming it helped to settle me immediately. Bedroom was above the front door, so expect a little noise from people coming and going but it is surprisingly quiet otherwise. Room was very spacious, clean, comfortable and relaxing. The bathroom had a walk in shower, toilet and basin, nothing too fancy but all that was needed. The fitness room is in the basement, bike, stepper rowing machine and a selection of weights machines, basic but again, covers all the bases. Breakfast was very good, selection of hot and cold with fresh and dried fruit, cereals, breads, cold cuts or sausage, bacon and egg. I also saw someone order pancakes, which looked great! Coffee was excellent and a generous whole pot just for me.

Décor throughout is modern but not homogenous and boring like some hotels. The owner of the building is an architect so there are quirky touches throughout, strong colours, lots of books to browse, charming staff and a generally good feel.

This hotel is a good 30-40 minute walk from central Cologne and not very near to shops and restaurants, which some might miss, but it has a small garden and its own car parking, which is fantastic for Cologne. Also, it is only about 10-15 minutes walk from the Cologne Messe trade fair centre, which is great for business people.

I'll definitely be back and recommend happily to any and all!

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be good, maybe higher up is better to be away from car or pedestrian noise...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was staying there for one night. I expected a lot - specially after a very warm welcome at the reception. But after that I discovered a very hot room - with no working air con. In the evening there was only the chance to open the window. but there was a function in the hotel - and a private band was playing in front of one of the houses - opposite the hotel.
The room was very small - and in some places I was thinking "What is this funny design for?".
Breakfast was slightly better than average.
Good service, good breakfast - but still not enough to reach a "very good".

If traveling with luggage for a week or more - you will have space-problems.

Room Tip: See the room first.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We were greeted with a friendly smile on arrival and from that point onwards the staff couldn't have been more helpful and nice during our entire stay.

The breakfast was lovely with a great selection of fresh foods, even the eggs were cooked perfectly and it's always nice to get a good cuppa of English breakfast tea.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 August 2013

In terms of today's hotel esthetics, a reference similar to the demolition of the Pruitt-Igoe housing complex could be somewhat useful since, in the past years, every place that somewhat aims at a "contemporary, authentic look and feel," lands in the vast "design hotel" category."
Whether or not "The New Yorker Hotel" in Cologne qualifies to be in that league is a matter of, let's say, "gradation."
But I enjoyed exploring the still fairly industrial-residential stretch of the city, relatively (important) removed from the historic old center or the stretches of varied shopping clusters in the heart of the Cologn (some interesting changes there as well). The New Yorker is, however, right off the vast Messe Gelände - which makes the location perfect for certain events. Also nearby, on the same bank, is the great cable car and the Claudius Therme.
My white room room offered a certain comfort and was OK for a good night's sleep (very quiet) and its a terrace was a plus.
Breakfast on offer is pretty standard, devoid of any treats one could expect in a certain league but the terrace and fairly large modern garden is truly a great spot to start the day. (NB: There is a large concrete table in an isolated area of the garden which would make a great spot for a private outdoours dinner party.)
The nice young man (staff), dressed in black, was extremely welcoming and courteous and explained everything about the house, its annex, the New Yorker One Dock exhibition space, etc. - and, foremost, he booked a table at a nearby, exceptionally good fish restaurant ("Scampino") with a spacious outdoor sitting area. (It seems to be somewhat of an institution (deserving a review of its own) but I could be wrong; it also caters to the residents of a recent beautiful low apartment buildings complex along the Rhine with gardens and terraces.
When I returned to the spot the next morning on an early run, I briefly spoke to an elderly man, looking at the river and the peninsula with the boats. He said he did not like the new complex ...as it blocked the (his former) great riverscape which he had from his house across the street and he missed the deep red sunsets right above the waterline as the one we witnessed last night.
One major minor: no free wifi ... but I refuse to go into that story ... too many hotels still have not understood ...

Room Tip: Room with a terrace is a plus.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Philippe1963
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I've stayed here twice in the past three months (April 2013 and February 2013) and although I slept well, I was continuously reminded about how the hotel management is focusing on the wrong things.

On both visits, I was here for two-day business meetings and was able to check-in early and drop off my things in the room. I was immediately offered the Business Package which was wifi and breakfast for €16.00. Because I was attending meetings in a hotel conference room, I accepted the offer, but was very surprised with the Reception's reaction when my fellow attendees and I ran out of wifi after 24 hours (meeting began at 9:30 on Day 1) and we all needed to purchase another 24 hours of wifi access for the last 2.5 hours of our meeting on Day 2. One would have thought that this would be included in the 2 day rental of the conference room for 12 attendees, but I was so surprised at the staff's insistence to not give us a bit more wifi.

The room was fine, although I felt guilty that water from the shower leaked out of the cubicle everywhere. The bed was fine too and I slept well enough. I'm no expert, but the hotel was not handicap accessible at all, from the entrance outside to the walk to reception and from the elevator/lift to the different levels where the rooms are found.

Breakfast tasted fine (included in the €16.00 wifi/breakfast package), but the selection was quite modest. Same for lunch, but I imagine that this was ordered specifically by our meeting organizer. However, the potato creme soup with lunch was so good, that I had to go back for seconds.

In summary, I certainly wasn't miserable and I slept well (isn't that the point of a hotel, anyway?), but I wouldn't choose it for any personal stay because of the comments above and it's location far (walking/driving/public transport) from most of the activity in Cologne.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank icunurok
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the New Yorker over a Saturday and Sunday. The noise from a party meant we had no sleep on the Saturday night - after the guests quietened down the clearing up started until around 05.00!
The room was small and bathroom was tiny and smelled badly of drains.
The location is very dodgy. I would not like to walk around there, on my own, in the dark.
I'm giving them 2 stars as the staff were very friendly. They sympathized with our lack of sleep but that was about it!
We stay in Cologne regularly to visit family/friends and we've yet to find a decent hotel!

Room Tip: Check if there are any parties booked if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Christa England H
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel in January 2012 while on a business trip near to Cologne. My room was very small and very basic (with only a tny pull-out shelf on which to try and perch a computer) but as it is in a small cul de sac parking is very easy and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful and a good choice on days when the hotel was full but was significantly reduced on my third day when there appeared to be fewer. A really nice plus point is that it is within easy walking distance (400 metres or so) of one of Cologne's best seafood restaurants, El Scampino. Yes, I will stay again but will hope for a slightly larger room.

• Stayed: January 2012