“Very nice hotel but it seems everything is an extra charge”

Maritim Hotel Koeln
Ranked #37 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Ocean View, Delaware
“Very nice hotel but it seems everything is an extra charge”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel due to it's location and many of the reviews. We have stayed in many upscale hotels around Europe but the Maritim Koln seemed out of the ordinary as far as charging extra for everything. The list: 19€ per night for parking (which had a very difficult time in letting me out -thanks for the help Front Desk or we might still be sitting there! 21€ per for breakfast, very good but it should be at that price. 4.95€ per day for WiFi - really should be included as for every other hotel during our most recent stay. Newspapers were available in the extra charge breakfast area - seems a little presumptive?
I liked the facility, the room (5th) floor overlooking the Cathedral and the great shower but really, really hated the totally flat pillows. I can honestly say that they are the worst excuse for laying your head on that I have had in as long as I remember.
Overall, you could do much worse but the Maritim group really needs to address the feeling of pinching pennies when selling an otherwise upscale product.

Room Tip: As others have said, ask for a room facing the Cathedral.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank runamook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jamestown, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This is the first hotel I ever stayed in when in Cologne. It is close to the Dom and all the downtown shops and pubs. It is really a beautiful hotel, the rooms are nice and the lobby is really something to see. I've been back a few times since my first visit and still was impressed with the overall of the hotel. It does get a little loud in the lobby when they have music going on.

Room Tip: Try to get a city or river view if possible up as high as you can go.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Jim W
Maritim_Koeln, Sales Assistant at Maritim Hotel Koeln, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Jim,

thank you very much for your feedback and for staying at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are already looking forward to welcome you again at the Maritim Hotel Köln.
Alaska
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel, probably hundreds of times in the past 18 years. You cannot beat it as far as convenience to the Alt Stat, Rhine River, or Carnival. It's glass architecture is truly amazing. The staff is friendly and very proactive, attending to any concerns in an appropriate and timely manor.

On the down side, the furnishings are the same furnishings as when I first started going there 18 years ago. In this day of flat screen tv's, they have not upgraded and actually, it doesn't really matter because the selection of channels is completely pathetic. Several Arab channels, CNN, and a few German.

Overall it has been a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: In the summertime, ask for something below the 6th floor as it can get very hot in the rooms. All o...
2 Thank UPSPilot
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This was my second time at Maritim Hotel Cologne (you might want to check out my previous review from August 22, 2012). Again, I stayed at this place for 7 nights during a business trip.

Unfortunately this time I was not happy with my stay at all. While the staff was still extremely friendly there were some aspects of my stay that simply don't go well with what one expects from a 4 star hotel.

The lobby area was in constant use by kids who mistook it as their personal playground, even using scooters and the like. I saw this happen a lot but the hotel staff didn't seem to care about this at all.

When using the key card to enter your room a very loud and unpleasant sound goes off. It's loud enough to wake you up, even if the people of the room next door or two doors down enter their rooms.

Also my room came with a pretty old TV (no flat screen) and the picture was horrible. I notified reception and they promised me to send a technician, but it either never happened or there was nothing he could do because at the end of my stay the picture was still the same.

As for the internet, I did not notice this last year and maybe it was a recent change, but you can get free internet in your room - but only for 30 minutes per day. If you want to use the internet any longer you will have to pay (way too much in my opinion). Lots of lower rated hotels offer free wifi by default, so why a house like the Maritim can't do the same is beyond me.

The room was very cold but I kept the A/C turned off and used 2 blankets, so I was alright.

Like last year the room was very spacious and got cleaned frequently.

Now on to the breakfast. There was still plenty of choice, no matter if you fancy your breakfast cooked, cold or sweet. However, after my experiences last year (upset stomach after breakfasts) I mainly sticked to pastries this time. I only had the Bircher Muesli twice with once getting an upset stomach again.

Bottom line: I would not stay here again if I had to pick a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank FireballH
Dear Fireball,
thank you very much for your feedback and for staying at our hotel. By your constructive criticism you give us the possibility of reacting to your negative impression of our house. We thank you for it because we can always improve our service and uncover weak points only in such a way.

We regret extraordinarily that it did not please you at MARITIM Hotel Cologne and that you were very disappointed. We ask for this for apology once again.
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've now stayed on four occasions at the Maritim, and like it well enough, but I confess that I have asked my organisation to book me somewhere else next time. Why? The hotel is fine in terms of services - the front desk are multilingual and helpful (though the desk is on occasion understaffed so there's a bit of a wait); the breakfast options are great; and the location is good as it's only a 15 minute walk either through town or along to river from the railway station. And it's close to the Altstadt and a wide range of restaurants. My frustration on the last three occasions has simply been one element of what we now come to expect in a major hotel: fast and reliable Internet service. While there is WiFi in the hotel, one has to connect to - and pay for - a Deutsche Telekom service that is not cheap and not consistent. Also, on at least two occasions, my room location has bee such - along the far end of a corridor - that the wireless signal has been, at best intermittent, and I've been obliged to go to the lobby to get a decent signal. On my most recent visit, in September of this year, I asked to move rooms - first, as my room had an outlook on a concrete wall (no-one, in an expensive hotel, should have that!); and second, as the Internet connection was simply unreliable. To their credit, the staff handled this very well and moved my bags while I was at a meeting. There is, incidentally, cable connection to the Internet but that is an expensive option.

There's some updating of the Maritim to be done - especially on modern facilities, and on decor - before it can fully justify its price bracket.

Dear DuffnZann,

thank you very much for your feedback and for staying at our hotel. But we regret extraordinarily that it did not please you at Maritim Hotel Cologne in one point. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with our Internet costs. Please have understanding of, that for us also costs arise from the Internet use, which we have to pass to the internet provider. We will immediately discuss your remark in a management meeting.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the SPOGA show. Very convenient for the Messe being only two stops on either the number 9 or Number 1 tram and a short walk to the hotel from the tram stop.

Infuriatingly for a business hotel, there is no wifi and you have to log onto and pay for Deusche Telekom coverage which s at best intermittent in the rooms. Come on guys! It's 2013!

The room was tiny, single bed when double was booked and poor TV.

The shower was nice, high tec with a light show.

Breakfast was good but Germanic service which is sullen at its best.

All in all, I was glad to leave and fly home.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Cleggy11362,

thank you very much for your feedback and for staying at our hotel. We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the charge for the internet. We will immediately discuss your remark in a management meeting. Please have understanding of, that for us also costs arise from the Internet use, which we have to pass to the internet provider.

We would be pleased if you would give us a further possibility to convince you of our efficiency and our good service, despite your annoyance during the last stay. We are always glad to welcome you.
Canton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 September 2013

When you walk into the hotel you are wowed by the entrance, but once you get to the room it is abysmal. The room is extremely small and the bed was a twin. The bed was also as hard as the ground so it is extremely hard to get a good night sleep. I think I have slept better while camping. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank KennethW199
Dear KennethW199,
thank you for your feedback. By your constructive criticism you give us the possibility of reacting to your negative impression of our house. We thank you for it because we can always improve our service and uncover weak points only in such a way.

We regret extraordinarily that it did not please you at Maritim Hotel Cologne and that you were very disappointed. We ask for this for apology once again.
Kind regards.