“pleasant and quiet hotel in Cologne”

Hopper Hotel St. Antonius
Ranked #93 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 7 March 2013

the hotel is centrally located (10 minutes walk from the cathedral) but in a quiet street. It has a small atrium where you can sit during warmer weather and apparently have a breakfast as well. I had a room on the 5th floor but the lift stops on the 4th and there is a narrow stairs flight which was Ok with me but may be a problem for some. The staff was really nice and helpfull, arriving early I´ve got a room even at 10.30 a.m. The room was rather small but comfortable, however was equipped only with shower (no bathtub), quiet so one could sleep with the window open, though the window was quite small (the room was under the roof) but you could see the cathedral from it. Breakfast was good (though not excellent), choice big enough to please majority.
For the price (about 100 EUR) it seemed a good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hopper Hotel St. Antonius

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Compared with other hotels and other cities, this was relatively cheap (I paid 85 euro including breakfast in the offseason) for what it offers. My room (#205) was big, but with a small bathroom. The bed was perfect, the curtains darkened the room completely and I did not experience much outside noise. There is a small safe, too small to fit a laptop. Also a docking station for Apple sound systems. The interior has "modern" touches, that are not per se functional. The hotel website shows pictures of the rooms. Wifi is free, but you have to ask for a code. There was a ventilator in the room, suggesting that it can get rather warm in the summertime without airconditioning. The heating was OK with an outside temperature of about 4 Celsius.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This was a 3 day New Year break. The Hotel was in a quiet back street within walking distance of the station, Cathedral and shops. It was spotlessly clean, modern warm minimalist rooms and excellent breakfasts.
Ideal for a short break nothing was too much trouble for the. Staff who were courteous and helpful providing maps, and directions and made our stay so enjoyable.
excellent value for money can certainly recommend this Hotel...

Room Tip: All rooms appeared more than adequate
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I can't rate this place highly enough. Fantastic rates (when the trade fairs are not on), really nice rooms that are minimilistic yet still comfortable. Very decent breakfast in the restaurant or lovely courtyard. And close to my office. Congratulations to the management team - I've also been to the relatively new St Julius, which gets an equally rave review!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel is within walking distance from the train station but on a quiet street. Our room was big and very clean. The cleaning staff was very friendly, and the hotel allowed us to empty the minibar so that we could store medicine in the refrigerator, which was very helpful. The decorations are minimal and modern but still feel warm. The bathroom was very nice and the beds were comfortable. However, the room has no air conditioning, and as we had a room on the courtyard, there wasn't much of a breeze, although it was very quiet. We really liked the breakfast, which we enjoyed in the courtyard, and the staff was willing to make additional servings for us of anything that had run out when we came towards the end of breakfast. The other drawback of the hotel, however, was the wifi connection, which was intermittent at best. We were usually able to connect in the lobby but very rarely in the room and only for about 30 minutes before it stopped working again. The staff did try to resolve this issue, but the technician they called claimed that everything was working fine, which it wasn't. So overall, it's a nice hotel in a good location, but I would not stay there in summer again as it's too hot without AC, and if I am there on business, the wifi would also be a big problem. That means I would only stay for a short vacation trip in cooler weather--a bit restricting.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dlss07
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed here two nights on business recently and will be trying to avoid booking this hotel in the future despite its great location and cheap price. I stayed up on the top floor in a small room that overlooked the courtyard. It was so hot and humid with no air conditioning and windows that hardly opened. The food was ok but nothing special and the staff were not that welcoming or friendly/helpful. The room itself was clean but very basic.

The best thing about this place is that it does look pretty and it is near the train station and tourist attractions and it was cheaper than my other options in that area of Cologne.

Room Tip: Lower floor has larger rooms and I hear those are much nicer.
1  Thank Louise G
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I stayed almost 3 weeks for business in the Hopper Hotel St. Antonius and the quality deteriorated from day one to now drastically. First everything was ok, I had a nice room and things went well. I came back a week later, then I had a room to the yard. It was noisy and smelly until 1AM and 2AM each nights so I couldn't sleep. Also, the eggs and the fruits in the morning were from the day before (reheating marks and soft/bad look respectively). At night, I wanted dinner and the staff told me unfriendly that there was no space. So I asked for the maitre'd and he "surprisingly" offered me a seat at a large free table. What the heck? The stafft in general barely smiled, welcomed me and were just generally upset to work there. It was an unpleasant atmosphere. Now at my third and LAST stay (I had prebooked before otherwise I would have never returned), my room had no pillows upon arrival, the linens were dirty and, after insisting, I got changed to a small chamber under the roof. WIthout an excuse! The shower was dirty so I cleaned it myself. At 11:30PM.This place is a hole! Never again! And one more thing: In summer, the rooms are terribly hot. No aircondition. Difficult to breathe and sleep...

Room Tip: If you ever dare to go there, chose a 2nd or 3rd floor room to the street. There you will have plent...
1  Thank Robert M