“A pleasure and very good experience overall”

Airport Garden Hotel Karsten
Ranked #132 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
San Diego, California
“A pleasure and very good experience overall”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I really liked this hotel. The owners take care of the reception area, breakfast and are very friendly and look after their guests. The room was comfortable, slept very well in bed and breakfast certainly adequate. I booked this at booking.com for about 75 Euro a nite which was a good value.
Just for general knowledge, there is no air conditioning and no elevator. I asked for first floor cause I have bum knees and they gave me one of just a couple first floor rooms.
Parking was right in front of the hotel and the hotel is just a few short meters from a main street in Cologne that has many restaurants, grocery stores and general shopping.
Will definitely stay here again when back in the area....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Surrey
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for a business meeting. The airport transfer service is very handy (stops at 10pm) and the owners are very welcoming.

My bedroom was right at the top of the hotel and was immaculately clean. The only downside of my room location was that the wireless signal was very weak and I had to sit on the chair situated on the landing to get a reliable signal.

Bedding was a "traditional" German quilt and pillows and were warm and comfortable. The bed was great.

Good sized shower with excellent shower head and very hot water. Again, the bathroom was exceedingly clean.

Breakfast was served in the dining room and "winter garden" (conservatory) and is of a good and varied variety and selection. Scrambled eggs etc are cooked fresh to order - and the staff remember what you had the day before and ask if you want the same - a nice touch. Coffee/tea was served in a large insulated jug per person and the cutlery/place settings were spotless.

The hotel is very close to the airport and a 40 or so Euro taxi ride from the centre of the city, but there is a bus/train service for some 3.40 Euros.

Welcoming, helpful and efficient. I can heartily recommend this family run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a strong wireless connection if you need to use your laptop.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 May 2012

One of the reasons I stayed the night before was a 6:30 a.m. flight from CGN. I e-mailed the hotel directly for a reservation and the owner immediately wrote back with a confirmation. I do not speak German and did not have a German cell phone, so I stopped at the aiirport information desk and they called the hotel for a pick up. Ten minutes later Ms. Frieben arrived with the hotel van and drove to a nearby delightful town. The facility was spotless with great attention paid to detail. There was a small kitchen, free Wifi, and new satellite-connected TV sets. The hotel is only a half block from the town's main street with many places to eat and shop. The breakfast room was ready at 5 a.m. and must be seen to be believed. There is colffee, tea, juices, bread, cheese, sliced meats, cereal, and much more. I wish I left later because I would have liked the sun to be up and have breakfast looking at the wonderful back yard.

This hotel has my FIVE STAR rating. I recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Douglas B
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I chose this hotel because it is near the Cologne/Bonn airport and because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. The staff was very friendly and picked me up at the airport (5 minutes away) and took me there the next day. My single/double room was on the ground floor and was very clean. It included a little kitchenette with a water kettle and tea and coffee. The reading lamps on the bed were very good (not common!) and there was a good sized shelf in the bathroom. The breakfast included in the price was fine and was served in a nice light room. The hotel is near the main street of a village with many restaurants nearby. Definitely value for money!!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are near breakfast room so you can hear people coming and going.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2011

If you want to go into the center of Cologne and see the cathedral this may not be the place for you as it is definitely on the outskirts, plus, you will need a GPS to find it but once you do, it is in the middle of a residential center, very clean, and ours had a kitchenette. The highlight for us was going on the little main street and having a very good steak dinner with baked potatoes at el Toro. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Went to Koln (aka Cologne) June 11-12 and stayed in Hotel Karsten based on several site's reviews. I was not disappointed at all. In fact I was pleasantly surprised. I drove and foun d the location easily. The hotel is intimate, very clean and offers good amenities (free internet, kitchenette) that would be much more elsewhere The room was large and had a sweet balcony with a garden view (requested). The garden is lovely with trees and rose bushes, birds and all the right sounds and atmosphere for a weekend getaway. Before I get romantic let me say this hotel was the deal of the weekend for me-and I shop a lot! Good area, quiet and warm reception. Friendly staff and breakfast in an airy solarium surrounded by birds and trees! I couldn't have written a more perfect setting. Dinner was at DaNicos just around the corner and I got a warm reception there as well.
I only had one night in Karsten but it left an impression. For the price I paid, I got waay more than I expected! Big spotless room, cozy furnishings, great surroundings and good hearty breakfast with a smile. All for so much less than 100 Euros I got dinner as well!

Although a distance from the hub of Koln, I would go to Hotel Karsten again in a second - and skip the city!

• Stayed June 2011
Klagenfurt, Austria
Reviewed 5 March 2011

We stayed here because we had a connecting flight the next morning and wanted to be near the airport. It was really perfect. The service was friendly, the airport shuttle service was great, breakfast was delicious and the room was just fine. As a bonus, there was a great Italian restaurant right around the corner. We'll stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family