I stayed here over the period of August 8 - 11 2014. I found the hotel reception staff to be helpful and knowledgeable in regards to all my tourist questions (and I had a lot). They were friendly and professional in their approach to any questions regarding the hotel facilities also.
The room itself was of a decent size with a comfortable bed. It was also clean, and had a lot of the things that I needed. Plus free fizzy water, coca cola and beers complimentary of the hotel which was extra nice(no charges either for any replacements). The room cleaning staff were also helpful, although there were a few language barriers (I found they were not as proficient in English as the reception staff, but then I could have been a bit more bi-lingual also).
I had a few little niggles about the room facilities though. These were: no milk available for coffee or tea; the room was quite hot at times and there were only thick quilts on the bed (inevitably I found myself sleeping without them on me); the step into the bath/shower was on the high side so an elderly person may find that a bit tricky (there was a handle to hold on to though); a lack of English speaking channels on the TV; and, finally, I did find an empty beer can in the press under the TV. However, these are only small niggles and didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the room and facilities.
I never got to use the bar or restaurant so can't comment there. I was told breakfast would cost 18 euros which I personally think is expensive.
Finally, the Cathedral, Rhine, shops, bars, restaurants are all within reasonable distance - and very close by - of this hotel. I found it was as quick to go by foot as by any form of public transport, but that's just a personal view.
One last thing: a lot of shops, restaurants, and other facilities close on Sundays. This is worth noting. However, kiosks stay open so they can cover off a lot of your basic requirements. There is a kiosk nearly right outside the hotel.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again when next in Cologne.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Cologne from up close: The 4-star Mercure Hotel Köln City Friesenstrasse is located in the heart of the Rhineland city. All 103 rooms have free WIFI. Our CBH-certified hotel is ideal for your meetings with up to 200 people. The four flexible conference rooms are air-conditioned, with WIFI and the latest technology. The hotel is also in an easy-to-reach location. The main train station is 0.6 miles (1 km) away and the airport 11.2 miles (18 km) away. You can park your car in our garage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Accorhotels.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Hotel Koeln City Friesenstrasse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Koeln City Friesenstrasse
- Accor Koeln City Friesenstrasse