“An excellent choice for Cologne”

CityClass Hotel Europa am Dom
Ranked #35 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a recent visit to Cologne and were very satisfied with the hotel. First, the location is ideal for sightseeing in Cologne itself. It is very close to the cathedral but far enough away that the noise and bustle of the crowds didn't disturb us. The rooms are medium sized but have everything you need for a comfortable stay, including a fridge. The personnel at the hotel were uniformly helpful and pleasant, giving us recommendations for restaurants, etc. We arrived very early the first day from an international flight and although the hotel had been completely booked the night before, they worked to make a room available by 9:30am so we could rest. The breakfast was very good, many choices and the view of the cathedral from the breakfast area was wonderful. Altogether an excellent experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn15

Reviewed 24 April 2014

stayed here for the weekend central location handy for everthing. Reception staff very helpful rooms clean & comfortable no free wi fi in rooms but you could buy at a cost. Breakfast good sets you up for the day staff on hand to help the older lady could do with going to charm school. Apart from that great stay

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel in March 2014 and we really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is located close to the Dom (Cathedral), close to the River Rhein (5 minutes walk), near the Cologne main train station, and hotel is surrounded by many shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes. The location is very convenient for us as we don't want to waste time.

Our double room and bathroom was spacious and clean. The room came with large flat screen TV (mostly German channels, unfortunately!), small fridge, couch, writing table and chair, coffee table, and off course, 2-twin beds made into a double bed (this is common here!). The staffs were friendly and helpful. The price for 3 nights were very reasonable. We didn't take the breakfast as we wanted to eat outside, but they have a nice eating area overlooking the Dom. They also have a bar with alcoholic drinks (in case someone wants a night cap). Security-wise, you will get an electronic key that activates the elevator to your floor and your room. The only complain we had was the soft pillows on the beds. But we used the throw pillows from the couch for extra comfort.

We really enjoyed this hotel and we will definitely stay here again when we visit Cologne.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helenz M
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January, it was a very enjoyable experience. The hotel is reasonably priced, it has friendly helpful staff. Rooms are lovely, beds very comfortable. There is an excellent breakfast buffet with a huge variety on offer.

I am really looking forward to paying a return visit, I can't recommend it highly enough

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank magpie033
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, just repaired with attentive staff, delicious and big breakfast (only 8 Euro), cozy small rooms. Suits for business travel and sightseeing. Located very close to the main railway station, right next to the old Church.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2014

A superb location and superb price! Lovely and clean and comfortable with an excellent breakfast buffet and the opportunity to order food (Italian) if you wished, but why anyone would I do not know, when it is located about 4 doors from the Frueh Brewery and with many other eateries around. Close to the railway (not so close that you can hear the trains) and in a very safe feeling area. Lovely to find gummi sheep on the pillow!!!
Parking is an issue; no response to an email sent asking about parking, we were advised on arrival to park at the Heumarkt which, although geographically close took 45 minutes to reach when taking the car there and was eventually only 3 euros a day cheaper than the car-park literally around the corner! Staff were generally very friendly and helpful - particularly those who were on the afternoon/evening shift when we were there, they were very lovely and very helpful.
My only concern, was that one day when I went to breakfast, I arrived back at my room to find my room unlocked (it was an electronic key system) which I had assumed was an electronic error, when I discovered later in the day that my purse was missing 30 euros the afternoon/evening staff were extremely helpful but advised me to speak to the manager in the morning when I checked out - not such a helpful response from them the following morning (your purse should've been in the safe - yes, but the room should have locked automatically?) and I am still waiting for the email to let me know their findings from 'watching the cctv in the corridor' (which I didn't see was there) - disappointing that there has been no response thus far and I suspect that any response would say 'the cctv did not show anything unusual'.
However, that aside (I have pretty much forgotten about it), I will most certainly stay in the hotel again as everything else about it was brilliant :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family