“Charming and great location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cologne
Das Kleine Stapelhauschen
Ranked #78 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The location was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is quite charming. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. We aren't big breakfast eaters but it seemed fine and I did enjoy the morning coffee!
The only complaint would be the noise and we just accepted it as part of the package. Still, it was quite loud and although I was able to sleep through it, my husband wasn't and if we had stayed longer than a few days we might have had to re-evaluate. Everything else was quite nice though and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sharrie B

Reviewed 14 December 2010

We did not stay at the hotel, we ate in the restaurant, and had the best lamb meal we've ever tasted. The staff were very very helpful and pleasant, nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel is located right on the river, and is very close for the christmas markets which we were visiting. Next time we come to Cologne, we will be stopping here. It has so much character and a really nice feel to it. So much so we came back for a second evening.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NashJ
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I paid a very reasonable price per night for a double room with bathroom. The area is very nice but noisy at night as its full restaurants and pubs around. Beautifull building outside but quite old inside. Friendly staff, but facilities must be renewed urgently. Room size and beds were good. Breakfast fine. There is free internet wi-fi available.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Frus2010
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I booked this place after having read about it in Rick Steve's, and knowing I wanted to be on the Rhine. Then, when I read the reviews here, the morning I was to arrive in Cologne, I began to worry. But I'm pleasantly surprised. The reviews are true: there's some unorthodox electrical wiring, and the restaurant is empty--but it's a lovely place. Kind of reminds me of stay at my grandmother's. The room is perfectly clean, with nice stark-white linens. The bed is creaky and a bit on the soft-side, but only a bit. But it's got charm! And since it is one of the few buildings to survive WWII, I don't think you'd get this anywhere else in Cologne. I walked around tonight, and all the other hotels are new and dingy looking.

One warning, this place (if you get river-facing rooms) IS noisy--especially on a Saturday night. But it's midnight now, and things are quieting down.

There's breakfast in the morning until 11. The staff is pleasantly German, and it's family-run. The price is hard to beat.

If you can handle rickety charm, book a room here (and if you can't handle a shower on a different floor (!) then just book a room with a bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank VitaNJ
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Rotten fish, bad service, and rude management. My worst experience EVER!

We didn't stay at the hotel, but instead found ourselves at the restaurant there as it looked quite nice on the outside.

The first thing I didn't like was the agressive dog which barked and growled in the corner beside us. Apparantly it's the owners dog. Nice! I'm not normally scared of dogs, but I was getting ready to leave even before the food arrived.

Anyway, we ordered, the unattentive waiter took an age to come to us and let us order water - if we wanted beer, then he was lightening fast.

The food came. Heavy and stodgy and way over done beef for me, and fish for my wife. She ate one piece... OK. She attempted the second piece and it was off. I tasted it, and agreed. We called the waiter over and explained the problem. Off he went with the plate. 10 minutes passed and the owner (I suppose) came and asked if we were OK. We said that the fish was off and that we would like to bill and leave.

She came back a few minutes later and said it was impossible for the fish to be off as 3 other people had ordered it that day. When she came with the bill, they tried charging for the side salad which accompanied the food - because we both (I had a forkful of tomato) had eaten it. I refused, and I really did not appreciate their attitude. It took a quite a loud argument and point blank refusal to pay for it.

This place showed a total lack of respect for their custumer. Was it because we were foreigners who spoke English? I don't know.. but I will certainly never go there again, nor would I recommend anyone to eat there.

Terrible.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AM&AP
Reviewed 9 January 2007

Last year we chose this Hotel for the base of the christmas markets...and it cannot be beaten. It is warm, friendly, dining is enjoyable and they are extremely helpful staff. My daughter does not like dogs...unfortunately...but they very kindly put their dog into the back until we passed..I did not have to ask them and found this to be very thoughtful and this happened every time we popped in and out of Hotel! It is not a four star Hotel and we feel that this is reflected in the price. I am surprised that there are only a few mentions of this Hotel...I think people are keeping it to themselves!. I am not one to write great big long reviews but instead..just like to get to the point., you are made to feel comfortable...it is clean and they are hospitable as possible, you do not have to walk far to enjoy the atmosphere of Cologne, therefore you do not have to keep taking taxis etc..great, wether you are on a budget or not..this Hotel price gave us money left over to buy extra xmas trinkets...We enjoy getting away from large chain hotels and try to seek out Hotels like this to enjoy the culture. There...now it's a fairly long review...sorry!!

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 28 June 2006

Das Kleine Stapelhauschen was an ideal base for our World Cup trip to Cologne. As a group of lads, we don't go in for hotel frills - location and value are our prime concerns.

We took three triple rooms ranging in price from 105 euros to 75 euros. The cheapest was basically an attic, with a wonky floor and 'unorthodox' electrical wiring. It looked like all the furniture rejected for better rooms had been dumped in it and the decor was shabby. The beds were reasonably comfy, though, and the view over Fischmarkt and the Rhine exceptional.

The middle-priced room was more pleasant, with an adjoining shower room whose sloping ceiling made it impossible to stand up inside the cubicle. The most expensive room boasted a functional en suite and had benefited from a recent coat of paint.

Noise from the square continued into the early hours and would have bothered some guests, I'm sure, but not us. And it's probably far quieter when the place isn't full of football fans. Beer deliveries to the surrounding restaurants and bars also made a racket in the morning.

Breakfast was plentiful and served in a fantastic wood-panelled dining room at the rear of the hotel. Location-wise, Das Kleine Stapelhauschen is right on the river in the most picturesque part of town. Great for an outdoor beer. There is also a superb sausage stall 10 metres from the door.

As for the price, what a bargain! And the staff were courteous and welcoming, too.

• Stayed: June 2006