“Charming historic hotel with historic charm”

Das Kleine Stapelhauschen
Ranked #64 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Antwerp, Belgium
“Charming historic hotel with historic charm”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel during a long weekend and booked the same day. The woman in front (I presume the owner) was delightful and very helpful - we both speak English and had no problems. For the price it's a lovely place to stay with a great location right off the Rhine. It's only a 5 minute walk to the historic center and Dom cathedral so you get the best of everything with its location. Breakfast was included with our room and was simple and good - the dining room is exquisite. If you are looking for a place to stay that is unique to Cologne then this is the place for you.

We were in room 30 and it was fine for us - no view, but we did have our own characteristic bathroom. Amenities are basic - no phone/internet - basically two beds, a desk, and tv. On a side note, there was quite a bit of noise but again it's due to the hotels age and great location - lots of people drinking until late in the evening - which didn't bother us at all. But if you're a light sleeper.... maybe look for a more sound-proof hotel.

We will definitely stay here again during future trips to Cologne.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank athomeabroad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The location was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is quite charming. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. We aren't big breakfast eaters but it seemed fine and I did enjoy the morning coffee!
The only complaint would be the noise and we just accepted it as part of the package. Still, it was quite loud and although I was able to sleep through it, my husband wasn't and if we had stayed longer than a few days we might have had to re-evaluate. Everything else was quite nice though and I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sharrie B
Wellington, Shropshire
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We did not stay at the hotel, we ate in the restaurant, and had the best lamb meal we've ever tasted. The staff were very very helpful and pleasant, nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel is located right on the river, and is very close for the christmas markets which we were visiting. Next time we come to Cologne, we will be stopping here. It has so much character and a really nice feel to it. So much so we came back for a second evening.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NashJ
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I paid a very reasonable price per night for a double room with bathroom. The area is very nice but noisy at night as its full restaurants and pubs around. Beautifull building outside but quite old inside. Friendly staff, but facilities must be renewed urgently. Room size and beds were good. Breakfast fine. There is free internet wi-fi available.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Frus2010
NJ
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I booked this place after having read about it in Rick Steve's, and knowing I wanted to be on the Rhine. Then, when I read the reviews here, the morning I was to arrive in Cologne, I began to worry. But I'm pleasantly surprised. The reviews are true: there's some unorthodox electrical wiring, and the restaurant is empty--but it's a lovely place. Kind of reminds me of stay at my grandmother's. The room is perfectly clean, with nice stark-white linens. The bed is creaky and a bit on the soft-side, but only a bit. But it's got charm! And since it is one of the few buildings to survive WWII, I don't think you'd get this anywhere else in Cologne. I walked around tonight, and all the other hotels are new and dingy looking.

One warning, this place (if you get river-facing rooms) IS noisy--especially on a Saturday night. But it's midnight now, and things are quieting down.

There's breakfast in the morning until 11. The staff is pleasantly German, and it's family-run. The price is hard to beat.

If you can handle rickety charm, book a room here (and if you can't handle a shower on a different floor (!) then just book a room with a bathroom.

• Liked — The old charm.
  • Disliked — The noise.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank VitaNJ
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Rotten fish, bad service, and rude management. My worst experience EVER!

We didn't stay at the hotel, but instead found ourselves at the restaurant there as it looked quite nice on the outside.

The first thing I didn't like was the agressive dog which barked and growled in the corner beside us. Apparantly it's the owners dog. Nice! I'm not normally scared of dogs, but I was getting ready to leave even before the food arrived.

Anyway, we ordered, the unattentive waiter took an age to come to us and let us order water - if we wanted beer, then he was lightening fast.

The food came. Heavy and stodgy and way over done beef for me, and fish for my wife. She ate one piece... OK. She attempted the second piece and it was off. I tasted it, and agreed. We called the waiter over and explained the problem. Off he went with the plate. 10 minutes passed and the owner (I suppose) came and asked if we were OK. We said that the fish was off and that we would like to bill and leave.

She came back a few minutes later and said it was impossible for the fish to be off as 3 other people had ordered it that day. When she came with the bill, they tried charging for the side salad which accompanied the food - because we both (I had a forkful of tomato) had eaten it. I refused, and I really did not appreciate their attitude. It took a quite a loud argument and point blank refusal to pay for it.

This place showed a total lack of respect for their custumer. Was it because we were foreigners who spoke English? I don't know.. but I will certainly never go there again, nor would I recommend anyone to eat there.

Terrible.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AM&AP
U.K.
Reviewed 9 January 2007

Last year we chose this Hotel for the base of the christmas markets...and it cannot be beaten. It is warm, friendly, dining is enjoyable and they are extremely helpful staff. My daughter does not like dogs...unfortunately...but they very kindly put their dog into the back until we passed..I did not have to ask them and found this to be very thoughtful and this happened every time we popped in and out of Hotel! It is not a four star Hotel and we feel that this is reflected in the price. I am surprised that there are only a few mentions of this Hotel...I think people are keeping it to themselves!. I am not one to write great big long reviews but instead..just like to get to the point., you are made to feel comfortable...it is clean and they are hospitable as possible, you do not have to walk far to enjoy the atmosphere of Cologne, therefore you do not have to keep taking taxis etc..great, wether you are on a budget or not..this Hotel price gave us money left over to buy extra xmas trinkets...We enjoy getting away from large chain hotels and try to seek out Hotels like this to enjoy the culture. There...now it's a fairly long review...sorry!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Food and mulled wine is excellent and reasonablly priced in the xmas markets and there is lots of variety
  • Stayed December 2005, travelled with family