“Good taste, simple service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Geneva, Switzerland
“Good taste, simple service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

After reading comments from others in Tripadvisor, I went for late lunch on 30th March 2014. I took Kim Chi as starter (€3.50), Hanoi Mien Ga soup (€9.90) and Bio Heffe Weisse - bio white beer (€3). The kimchi was OK, fresh and spicy. I would prefer more fermented kimchi. However, it was good. The Hanoi soup was much better than expected, but a strong but not too much taste of ginger, not too salty and the fresh coriander leaf put a balance on the overall taste. The vegetables were fresh.
The service was correct, and as others had indicated, there was no English menu, and the young ladies did not speak much English. Thanks to my limited German exposure, I could more or less understand them. I was also the only non-German speaking guest.
After all, I will recommend the vegan to try this resto,

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Not my first choice...or second...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I ate here once during the week, together with 3 colleagues, one of them being a vegan and wanting to experience vegan food.
Just on a side note, I am far from being vegan but I do love to eat lots of vegetables.

When we entered the restaurant in the early evening it was pretty empty. We were seated and given the menu, which was in German only (as the staff didn't seem to be too comfortable speaking English this might be a bit tricky for those who don't speak any German).

Finding nothing to match my taste among the main menus I only ordered two starters (spring rolls and something that looked like huge spring rolls but was wrapped in some sort of rice paper-like dough).

The food arrived fairly quickly and looked good. However, I found the taste pretty bland and the rice paper rolls were very difficult to cut and chew.

The regular spring rolls were very oily and I could not finish them. I am not used to eating fast food and this was pretty much fast food in my opinion. They gave me a very heavy, unpleasant feeling in my stomach.

In general I expected the food to be more exciting in flavor and to be easier on the stomach.

To be fair I have to say that my colleagues seemed happy with their choices, but since I haven't tried any of their meals I can only speak for what I ordered. And based on that, I would not return to this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent Asian cooking and good value too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

On a recent trip to Cologne my wife suggested a visit to this restaurant, which was literally only two minutes from our hotel, the Barcelo. Although I am a pescatarian the prospect of eating in a full vegetarian restaurant appealed much more to me that trying to avoid hidden meat products in other local restaurants; ingredients get confused in translation!
I went on a quick reccie to establish if it was wheelchair friendly. It was not but there were only two steps down into it; my wife could manage those and although it was small inside (about twenty covers) there was room to store her wheelchair.

For our first meal we shared summer rolls (no.5) and Bo Bai rolls (no.10) as a starter. As a main course I had the mango curry (no.40) and my wife had the Saigon curry (no.41). For dessert I had sweet sticky rice wrapped in a banana leaf. All of that was washed down with two large bottles of non-alcoholic beer for me and a couple of non-alcoholic cocktails for my wife. The food was prepared with very fresh ingredients and was absolutely delicious. In all, a very satisfying and filling meal and at 43 euros including tip was good value for money.

Our server spoke decent English and she was able to make recommendations from the menu. There is also a menu written in English available although it matters not because whatever you were to choose would I'm sure be excellent.
Our server recommended the Vietnamese Pho (no.63) for our next visit so the next evening we visited again and that is just what I had. It was a very large bowl indeed and seemed to be never ending. My wife had the fried noodles (no.32) and we shared the Vietnamese spring rolls (no.4). Only one drink apiece this time and the bill came to 27 euros with tip.

If it had been open on the next evening (Monday) I'm sure we would have visited again. We did though pop by a couple of times for rolls to go.

If you happen to visit Cologne there are a choice of places to eat including American style restaurants, Tapas restaurants and overpriced Italian restaurants. Why would you though bother with any of those when there is this hidden gem available.

• Visited June 2013
Madrid, Spain
“Cozy, bright cafe with an Asian vegetarian cuisine.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

The menu - rice, noodles, vegetables, tofu, soy meat. It's good. Bright interior, good service. There is a menu of the day.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Asian Vegetarian, tasty and plentiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

All asian inspired dishes, so be in the mood for chopped veggies on rice or noodles, with curry or other spicy sauce. Your choice of tofu, veggie-chicken or veggie-meat. Reasonably priced for good sized portions. I enjoyed the wanton soup, having never found a veggie version before.

• Visited December 2012