“Clean but very basic...”
Review of Brandenburger Hof

Brandenburger Hof
Ranked #75 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Only stayed one night but was OK for the price and location. Very basic accomodations but very clean... Very short walk to Railroad Station. No elevator, so not a place for someone unable to lift/walk between floors. If you can request a room away from the street - much quieter.

Room Tip: not street front...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HH922

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Great value small hotel just by the railway station. Very friendly and accommodating staff, simple but clean and functional rooms. Good breakfast. Off-street parking for my motorbike was a big plus. I'd stay again if I was visiting Cologne.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank hillaire
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel, probably 4 times on my trips across the pond. The location is fabulous, just a few minutes walk from the Hauptbahnhof. The people that run this have always been excellent at welcoming me. Note if you have issues with mobility there are only stairs. I have always preferred a room that faces the street, though in the middle of a big city it seems to be one of the quietest streets. I also tend to book with the shower and toilet shared on the floor (normally I pay extra for this but it has never been much of a problem and the savings are great. Room, basic but always very clean, very reasonably priced. Staff has helped with a wide range of questions on my stay...Oh and they have probably one of the best breakfast selection's that I have had in Deutschland! Well worth another trip, I am with my wife for a weekend coming up the first of November, I can't wait. A memorable stay in a memorable city, I even got engaged to my wife here (on the Hohenzollern Bridge).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dlangner
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed just one night at this hotel, arriving in the late afternoon and leaving next day. The hotel is situated 2 blocks north of the Cologne Central Station, 5 minutes walk.

When we arrived we were made very welcome and all the staff spoke excellent English. This meant I didn't need to use my schoolboy German although I had a go.

Our room was comfortable and well appointed with a shower cubicle rather than a bath in the en-suite. The room looks out the front of the hotel which was ok as the road outside is quiet.

We needed somewhere to eat and, as it was raining very heavily the hotel were happy to loan us a large golfer's umbrella for the evening. The restaurant they recommended was only a short walk away under the umbrella and the food was typical German and at a very reasonable price.

Next morning the breakfast at the hotel was substantial with a choice of cereals, rolls, breads, jams, small cakes, fresh fruit, hams and cheese. To drink there was fruit juice coffee or a range of teas.

We were able to leave our luggage at the hotel while we looked around Cologne and this was very useful.

One point I would make is that I don’t believe the hotel has a lift and therefore disabled access might be a challenge.

If we go to Cologne again I would certainly use this hotel you simply couldn’t beet the value for the price.

Room Tip: if you can't carry your cases up stairs ask for a 1st floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank johnsig1964
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed in a shared bathroom room on the second (third for Americans) floor. Room was average size with windows facing the front of the hotel (not a problem - street was extremely quiet at night). Everything was extremely clean. Very helpful staff. Held luggage after checkout. Easy 5 minute walk to Hbf.

AMAZING breakfast buffet. Good coffee. Everyone gets a hardboiled egg. Great selection of breads, pastries, cereals, cold cuts, juice, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gewurztraminer
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Top tips when staying at the Brandenburger Hof:

Great location, a short 5 minute walk from the Cologne Hauptbahnhof. Nice reception staff, and very good breakfast (served from 7-10am).

Some of the rooms are extremely small, the size of a jail cell, but given the price of the rooms here can you expect more? No air conditioning. My only big complaint: They do not like accepting credit cards. On one stay, they pretended the machine didn't work. On the second, they flat out told me "no credit cards." Just tell them "OK, I will come back tomorrow with some cash." Credit card suddenly accepted. I've stayed at hundreds of hotels in cities around the world, and this is the first that has ever had a no-credit-card policy.

Room Tip: During warm summer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JohnSweden2
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Only a couple of minutes from the station but in a quiet and extremely pleasant location. Good room, excellent breakfast with garden area for the summer. Really pleasant stay, and that side of Cologne is worth exploring.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends