“All you could need... but too far out!”

BURNS Fair And More
Ranked #46 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Lovely room and really modern stylish hotel. Breakfast varied and good quality. Rooms clean and staff friendly and helpful. Free semi secure parking. Only issue was that the hotel was very far out, it was 45mins at a brisk walk to get to the Cathedral square. It was very hot and it took us a litre of water each to get into the centre, the one day it rained we got stuck in the down pour as there was nowhere to shelter. I was with my fiance but if I had been on my own or with another female I would have felt quite unsafe walking back at night. Ideal for use of conference centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the hotel entrance, with the windows open due to the heat w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Stayed here with my friends in February 2013. And, I have a lot of wonderful memories of this place. First, of all a warm welcome in the late night hours on arrival, was really impressive. Rooms were good and appointed with all the things needed for a luxurious stay. Bathroom was modern and clean. Breakfast was the only meal, I tried there and it had a selection of cheeses, cereals, sausages, bacon, hams, toast, rolls and scrambled or boiled eggs. Overall I would recommend staying here. If I am required to come back I would certainly book.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Johan V
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We were very please wit our stay at the Fair and More. The breakfast buffet really good and I loaded up for the day. We really did not spend much time in the hotel but we had a very nice stay. We were taking a Rhine river cruises and they let us leave our luggage there for two nights. I can't tell you how happy that made me. Sonja was a very big help with our travel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The best thing about the hotel is that it's close to the Cologne Exhibition Centre, but it's quite far removed from the city center or public transportation, so the location comes with good and bad points. It's quite a walk to get a bus or tram and getting a taxi could be slow.

The best part was the superb breakfast buffet. There was a large selection of different meats (as you'd expect in Germany), great cheeses and really excellent bread. The coffee was great as well, so we definitely got great starts to our days during our stay. The small restaurant and lobby look ok, but the room itself was really disappointing.

Our double room had really small beds and very little space. All the furniture was very basic, nothing "design" was evident, though the hotel sells itself as an boutique/design hotel. The room was no better than what you get in your basic Ibis hotel or usual 3-star Autobahn hotel. Very nondescript. That was really disappointing, because the vibe the hotel's website etc give, is different. But of course, that's also my own mistake. Oddly, the bathroom was massive for no reason.

The walls were also quite thin as a loud party went on in the next room from us and we could quite clearly hear what was going on.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank RiotPelaaja
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed in Köln for 2 days in August, we chose Fair and More hotel because of the parking possibilities, location and also price. As we came by car, there were enough hotel parking spaces on the street as well as under jutting roof in front of the hotel. And that all free of charge! hotel is separated in two bulildings, lower art style one with four stars and larger one (7 floors) with three stars. We stayed in larger,cheaper one. The reception stuff was extremly friendly and helpful, all the time of our stay. we were given the room in 4th floor, overlooking some other '50 style apartment buildings, but there is a lot of green surfaces everywhere and the hotel is taller than other buildings, so, no problem. Room was completely new refurbished, bathroom was almost larger than the room itself, which was rather small. But very bright, because of the large windows. Breakfast was in our building (for both buildings), very rich, very good in a modern dinning room in the lobby. hotel itself was very empty at the time only few rooms were taken. We were the only guests in our ward of 4th floor!
The location of the hotel is really close to the fair grounds, about 5-10 minute walk, I recon it gets more crowded when there is a fair going on. Otherwise it lies in now an immigrant neighbourhood called Stegerwaldsiedlung, but it seems completely safe and quiet even at night. The city center can be reached with tram, which is about 5 minute walk form the hotel or by walking, which takes you about 30 minutes or more to the cathedral. There is also a pharmacy and a grocery store near by the hotel. Hotel itself does not have free WiFi, but there is one laptop in the lobby with free internet, which is always available.
The only thing that bothered us was that, there is no restaurant in or nearby hotel. If you want to go to dinner, you need to walk to neighbourhood Deutz (20 minute walk) or go to city center. The hotel offers just some not very good pizzas from microwave.
All in all, good and quiet hotel with a free parking in central Cologne. I recommend!

Room Tip: rooms on higer floors (from 3th above) seemed more bright and with better view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Great little boutique hotel, tucked away in a residential area, 10 mins walk from Koelnmesse - perfect. There's a small grocery store (Penny Markt) within 2 mins walk, which is great to stock up on daily food supplies. Area felt safe, I'm a single female walking to and fro and had no issues during daylight hours, which in sumer is pretty much almost all the time!

Rooms do not have air conditioning, but my stay in late May was pleasant enough - big windows that open fully, in a corner room (I was in room 405, apparently room 406 that my friend stayed in faced the sun and was slightly warmer), gave a good evening breeze. I booked a single room, but my room was a double, spacious, with a tucked away study area with windows at my back that was gorgeous - wish I had a desk area like that at home! Bathroom is clean, white and bright, no clutter, the way I like it. Minimalist.

Only downside is that the bathtub is a little slippy, and there was no non-stick mat - accident waiting to happen. Room furnishing was again, clean and scandic sleek - light beech, with wood laminate flooring. One thing I didn't like was that the lights were all either halogen, or 20W incandescent light bulbs :( energy efficient lighting would have been super.

I stayed here for several nights for a conference at Koelnmesse, couldn't have been more convenient. Tip: bring your own spoon and fork if you're planning to buy groceries - there is no tea/coffee service and no cutlery! I ended up drinking my yoghurt from the cup. Downside of this area is that any restaurants are about 15 mins walk away, but it's not too much trouble to take the tram to the city centre across the river. Price for the room was unbeatable, hotel was relatively empty, but the front desk was very friendly and helpful when I checked in. Wifi was EUR7/24 hours, or EUR1 for an hour or so - not bad but it would have been nice to have this as a complimentary service, it's so common these days.

Quiet, residential, artsy, and really for people needing to be at Koelnmesse and not that bothered about hitting the town. Loved it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is in a large housing estate which is rather shabby, with several empty shops & bar. The rooms are very good, spacious, bright & spotless and the staff are extremely helpful. The problem we found is that the hotel has no restaurant and although there is one a few minutes walk away it is not open over weekends, neither is a nearby Pizza shop. Also a charge is made for Internet access which seems odd as even small Guesthouses usually have free WiFi although there is a connected Laptop in reception for the use of guests. The breakfast buffet is very good with a wide choice. A tram stop is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel with a frequent service into the City.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple