“Lovely Hotel in Country Setting”
Review of Falderhof

Falderhof
Ranked #88 of 260 Hotels in Cologne
Kansas City, Missouri
“Lovely Hotel in Country Setting”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Lovely hotel near Cologne. Hotel Falderhof is situated in the middle of the small village of Surth, encircling a cobblestone courtyard. My room was a good size and oh so quiet. Each evening I enjoyed the sounds from a sweet garden waterfall visible from my window surrounded by lovely wild flowers. A neighborhood grocery is located within a few minutes walk. There are a couple restaurants nearby but my favorite was the Falderhof Restaurant 30 feet from my hotel door. Each evening I ate some of the best meals I've ever eaten in Germany. Traditional breakfast served at 6:30 am. This private hotel was a perfect place to rest on my week long business trip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Judy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Once a cow byre and dairy, this is now one of the best hotel conversions I know. Nice comfortable beds, attractive rooms, and a really idiosyncratic location. Superb buffet breakfast. Friendly staff. Parking is sometimes a problem.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms. Upstairs means struggling to get a suitcase up a spiral staircase, and there is no...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Wonderful hotel in the suburbs of Cologne. We (young couple) stayed here for Carnival's weekend and just loved it. The hotel is spacious, unique building style with a courtyard and u style building. The rooms are spacious, good bed and bathroom and very quiet. From your room you can overlook the courtyard which is quite nice. Hotel staff speaks English, which is a nice benefit as tourist and are very friendly. Service with a (sincere) smile! They have room service but I don't recommend this. Their restaurant is quite expensive and doesn't offer anything unique. Better you walk outside and go into the town which has several restaurants and a small pizzeria with cheap and very delicious pizza's and pasta's. Breakfast is really nice, detailed and a lot of variety. The breakfast room is also in a very nice (but modern) building.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Rhine river (for a nice stroll) and also 5 minutes to the train station from where you can take a light-rail train directly to the central station and city center of Cologne. The train brings you there in about 30 minutes and runs every 15 minutes. Parking at the hotel is free (unlike the city center hotels in Cologne). This hotel is definitely recommended if you want to visit Cologne for a few days. Also for business travelers this hotel offer plenty of quality.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Stayed there a few times , Its a quiet part of cologne in a area called Sürth. taxi would cost you 20-24 Euros from hbf on a ten minutes drive . Have only seen two team members. One F/O attendant and a waiter in the breakfast. They both looked friendly and helpfull. Hotel is an interesting establishment which used to be a dairy house I guess. Rooms are just enough size ok for a short stay. Nothing very exciting in the hotel and a little bit creepy in a way; breakfast is not extensive but very good. as the title of my review implies , gives you an average stay.

Room Tip: on my first stay I forget to ask for a non smoking room , so I ended up getting a room with terrible...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
finger lakes NY
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was my first visit to the Cologne area, the company I was visiting made a reservation for me at the Falderhof. I'm glad they did. My visit was brief, arriving in the area mid-afternoon, and departing the following morning, so I did not use the hotel for other than eating and sleeping; both of these needs were fully met.

Parking was not on-site, but the local public parking area ~200 meters from the front door, so no complaints there, other than not knowing what to expect. Check in and out was fast and painless, and my room quite spacious. Because (all?) the rooms are clustered around the inner courtyard, the room was perfectly quiet. The bed, a king-size at that, had a very comfortable mattress topper (I won't say it was a feather bed, it might have been; I suspect instead it was a wool fleece. Great pillows too, all hotels should learn from Falderhof.

WiFi was not easy to connect, as I misunderstood the password. This was a minor issue, as once I asked, the desk person quickly corrected my error.

I look forward to an opportunity to return to the Falderhof and explore the area more thoroughly.

Room Tip: My room was in the 11 to 15 wing, ground floor, quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank chasinUpstateNewYork
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Business travelling is not always what it seems - countless hotels, same food, same rooms no matter what country you are, however the last time I had to be in the Cologne Area of Germany I stayed at the Fladerhof. It was Charming, within easy distance of the city and the litle inhouse restaurant had really delicious food. I was not bothered and felt welcomed, very important for a lady traveller. What a wonderful change from the never ending monotony of the Chain Hotels, I am going to stay there from now onwards , oh, I nearly forgot, a few of my colleagues have also stayed at the hotel and it appears that if you are a regular they try to give you the same room you had before, that is a nice touch!

• Liked — The location and setting of the hotel grounds, a litle garden in a city scape
  • Disliked — The coblestones, don't wear heels
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kokomo
Reviewed 28 January 2007

I have been to the Falderhof many times from 1991 through 1998. It is absolutely a charming and beautiful place to stay in the heart of the city. It is actually an old dairy farm that has been totally gutted and transformed into an up-to-date and exquisite small hotel. We cherish each time we've stayed there and are looking forward to another visit there this summer. Although it's been awhile since I've been there, I'm sure if it under the same ownership, that everything is in "mint" condition,.

• Liked — The uniqueness, cleanliness and charm
  • Disliked — nothing!!!!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Traveler046
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cologne
Rheinblick
#100 of 260 in Cologne
Rheinterrassen Hotel
Rheinterrassen Hotel
#1 of 7 in Bornheim

Been to Falderhof? Share your experiences!