“Good hotel, mainly oriented to business travelers”

Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne
Ranked #25 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
GreenLeadersGold level
Ghent, Belgium
“Good hotel, mainly oriented to business travelers”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We reserved a week-end in this hotel through a bargain website. Hence, we had excellent value for money as far as the accomodation is concerned. The location is somewhat off the tourist track, although in nice weather it takes only 20 minutes to walk to the city center over the railway bridge. The tramway stop is just outside the hotel and we were a bit surprised that the hotel didn't offer the Cologne Welcome Card -- they aim probably more at business travelers heading for the fair, but nevertheless in the week-end there seem to be mainly tourists.
The breakfast room was very crowded, difficult to find a place to be seated and when we were serving ourselves at the buffet the service had already emptied our plates and cups at the table! Some assistance in seating would be nice.
Reception desk staff is not overwhelmingly friendly, but just the level we're accustomed to in this part of Germany -- the more southern the destination, the friendlier they get, we seem to observe (comparing, for instance, Berlin and Cologne to Munich). A smile must be terribly expensive in Rheinland-Westfalen.
Apart from these remarks, we found it very, very good.

Room Tip: Rooms giving on the inner court are quiter during the week
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Radisson_Cologne, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Dear JackD59,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to read, that your experience with us was overall very good.

We would be happy if, in the future, you gave us another chance to prove, that a smile is everything but expensive for us. My apologies, that this time we were not able to meet your expectations in this point.

Nevertheless, we would be happy to welocome you back at our hotel soon!

Kind regards,
Jürgen Wirtz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This hotel is top notch for a stopover in Cologne or a longer stay. We chose this place as it had a cheap price (£60) for 1 night and we needed something to stay when stopping off in Cologne. The hotel is absolutely fine in every respect - the rooms and lobby are very modern and functional, reception staff friendly, room extremely clean and bathroom in excellent condition. We had no noise problems throughout the night. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel (we ate on the train to Switzerland) so can't comment on that. The hotel is right next to a tram stop with 2 different lines calling at the station so easy connections to the rest of the city and main train station and is within walking distance of another main station (Cologne Messe-Deutz). There is a great view of the main train line from hotel rooms on the south side!
Overall this is an excellent place to stay in Cologne whether for a short visit or longer stay.
Overall

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Radisson_Cologne, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Daniel,

I would like to thank you for your fantastic feedback. Your review about our hotel is a pleasure to read. I am more than happy to share this with the team.

It would be great if we could welcome you back at our hotel soon!

Jürgen Wirtz
Preston, England.
Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a few times before and again the Radisson Blu Koln met my expectations in general.

Yes it's slightly away from the centre of the City (Directly opposite the Kolnmesse) but only a 20 minute walk or 10 minute Tram Ride to the infamous Cologne Cathedral using either Tram 3 or 4 from directly outside the hotel.

I do agree with some of the earlier reviews that the hotel is showing some signs of wear and tear, mainly in the communal areas, but it is still a good hotel and a bargain at £72 for a 2 night stay through the Ebay auction site.

Enjoy Koln, it's great !!

• Stayed April 2013
Radisson_Cologne, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Scott,

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoy staying with us and would be happy to welcome you back on your next visit to Cologne. It is a great city indeed and there is lots to explore.

Please do not hesitate to contact us next time if there is anything more that we can do for you, it would be a pleasure.

Ottawa
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The hotel was just ok. The rooms are a strange modern take on design and not very attractive. The lobby and bar area is fairly nice. The hotel is located a 15-20 minute walk from downtown - and there are better located and similarly priced hotels in the downtown area that I would definitely recommend over this one.

The check in process at this hotel is one of the longest I have seen in the world - about 25 minutes. I had to return 3 times to the front desk to provide my credit card. Check out procedure also took about 10 minutes and was an exercise in bureaucracy and excessive paperwork. I probably spent over an hour at the front desk in 2 days. Unacceptable - when I can get my invoice under my door at other hotels and walk straight out.

Trying to pay cash for the breakfast also created a major headache with multiple receipts and about 10 minutes of paperwork. The breakfast was good, but for $25 euro it is a complete rip off. $15 euro perhaps at the most is the value. Way over priced.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Radisson_Cologne, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear advicetrip,

Thank you very much for choosing the Radisson Blu as destination hotel for your last trip to Cologne.

We regret that you did not feel most comfortable during your stay with us and that in a manner we could not meet your expectations.

All guest comments are most welcome and carefully read as they help us in identifying strengths and weaknesses in the service we offer. Therefore I shared you feedback with our senior management and staff at reception in order for us to be able to improve on the points.

We are hoping to get another chance to earn your business.

All the best,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I have stayed in two different hotels last week. Both four star hotels, this one in Cologne and another hotel in Copenhagen, which allows me to make a comparison.

Although the design of the Radisson Blu is really nice as well as the rooms, I am somewhat disappointed with the service of the reception's staff. To me, they appeared not genuinely friendly, rather forced friendly. I was, moreover, given a room at the road side, which turned out too noisy for my taste. When I asked for a room change, the head of the reception seemed not very happy with it and left a colleague to deal with me.

The room was nonetheless perfect. Nice design, comfortable beds and very clean.

Breakfast is a hefty €25 and although I knew so in advance, I don't think the price justifies the quality of the buffet when I compare it to those of other hotels I have stayed. €15 would be a more justifiable price.

Something I overlooked was the cost of parking (€19). I rarely stay at hotels where customers need to pay for parking, but it was my mistake to overlook the fact that customers of the Radisson Blu are required so. I personally hold the believe that parking should be a little bit of extra service, but that's personal. If charged, I believe €19 is way too steep.

The hotel suffices for one or two nights and in terms of the basics, they've got it all in order, but I expected a bit more than that from the Radisson Blu. The cheaper hotel I stayed over in Copenhagen had a somewhat more dated interior, but the service was genuinely friendly, which I personally value a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not located on the road side
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Radisson_Cologne, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Cologne, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Michaela S,

We apologize for this experience with our staff and thank you for also sharing your positive impressions about our hotel. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. Yet, we are sorry that your stay did not entirely meet your expectations.

We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.

All the best,
Your Jürgen Wirz
Ghaziabad, India
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

My stay was excellent staff is very helping and friendly . Rooms were exceptionally well breakfast spread was very good I can say I enjoyed every bit of my stay there my window view was very good I would like to go back again

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Nandita1977,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Please come visit us again soon, we look forward to your next stay.

Your Jürgen Wirz
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

It took us a while to find the hotel as our GPS was guiding us to the wrong road despite keying in the correct address.
We were lucky to have find the hotel just right after we had a flat tyre, so we parked our car at the Shell station next to the hotel.
We then checked in and asked the receptionist for help to call our car rental company, to fix the puncture.
As we don't speak German (and she speaks excellent English by the way), we were afraid that there would be a miscommunication if we called ourselves.
she was very helpful and communicated with the rental company on the situation, and also keeping us up-to-date when the rental company called them.
Finally, we had the problem solved and got a new car, thanks to their great help. The next morning when we check out, another receptionist on duty asked courteously if everything about the car was alright.
It was nice to know that they cared. On top of that, they didn't even charged us a cent for the phone calls they had helped us made to the rental company.

About the hotel room, it was very modernly decorated and comfortable. As we checked in early in the morning, they do not have a room with double bed ready yet. Therefore, we took their offer of 2 single beds being pushed together to make a double bed. After we came back in the evening, we found that this has been nicely done for us.
We did not have breakfast in the hotel so could not comment on it.
The wifi, which is free of charge, was working very well from our room.
The hotel is a little far off the old town, approximately 20 minutes stroll. There is a rail in front of the hotel which goes into the old town in 4 or 5 stops. However, we choose to walk to and back since there are something to see along the way. It is nevertheless, very close to the Laxness Arena or Koln/messe area.

Overall, it has been a pleasant stay here, the staffs are among the friendliest Germans I have met so far.
We would definitely come back to this hotel if we are in cologne again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear TCKLY,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure for me to read, that you were so much satisfied with the service and that the hotel facilities were to your liking. This is what we strive for and it is great to see, that the little extra bit that we do every day is valued. I am happy to share this great feedback with my team!

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at our hotel next time you are in Cologne.

I am sending you my best regards to Malaysia!

Yours,