Callas Am Dom
Hilton Cologne(Cologne)
US$147
US$126
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Koln-Mulheim(Cologne)(Great Value!)
US$77
Agoda.com
US$96
US$106
  • Room Service
All reviewsthe main shopping streettrain stationfresh fruitstreet noisebreakfast was includeddomchristmaspedestrianised
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel is situated in the pedestrian zone of Cologne, just near the Dome, 5 minutes from main train station. Very convenient. The hotel itself looked a bit old and beat up, but has its charm. It even has a specialty knife shop on the second floor, which is open three days a week.
However, the hotel has no air-condition, so beware of going there in the summer!
As it turned out, I couldn't even open the window of my room, as my room was facing an inner yard with a very loud motor. The receptionist told me this belongs to a restaurant, and goes off at 20:00. I was a bit sceptic (since when restaurants close at 20:00???), but unfortunately didn't insist on changing rooms. As it happens, the motor turned off indeed, only at 24:30. So if you like to go to sleep early, try to get a room not facing the back yard.
The hotel is clean, but very basic: Rough toilet paper, no tissues - only the very basics.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms facing the back yard, the motor from the nearby restaurant won't let you sleep until 24:30.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Was in Cologne to visit the Cologne Cathedral recently. As I was only going to spend a night in town and had to catch a train early the next morning, I was looking for a hotel close to the main train station. Decided on this hotel as I read of its good location from the reviews here. On hindsight, I should have done more homework.

The location:
As has been mentioned repeatedly, this hotel is located along the main shopping street in Cologne central. It is a mere 2 minutes walk from the Cologne Cathedral and about 5 minutes from the main train station. Unfortunately, this also makes the area very crowded which makes it a problem for patrons of the hotel to locate the small front door.

The room/hotel condition:
This hotel looks and feels rather dated. The elevator, for one, looks antiquated and I did not dare use it at all. The room I got was the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. I booked a room for a single occupant with an ensuite bathroom. On the website, it stated that the room was a King sized bed single occupancy. When I reached my room, I was rather shocked to find that the 'King size' bed looked more like a single. And the room was tiny, with little space for luggage.

I paid 85 euros for that one night stay and I could have stayed in a much better hotel if I had paid an extra 10 euros and spent abit more time researching the hotels nearby. Well, lesson learnt I guess.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank MohammadFahmy
Reviewed 21 November 2011

If you want a decent budget hotel, 3 minutes walk from Cologn Central Station,and the Cathederal which is 15 minutes train ride €2.50 from the airport, you could do much worse than this one. I stayed there on business, and its basic but bearable for €50 per night

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The staff was friendly, you can't beat the location and the room was clean but otherwise . . . it was a disaster. Rooms are tiny and bathrooms are so small as to be barely functional. Rank smell in the hallways which were in bad need of new carpets and paint. Very little sound proofing as well. WiFi requires log in each and every use and is about the speed of a dial up modem. Only one iron and ironing board in the entire hotel and you will be forced to iron in the hallway given the size of the rooms. Not a bad choice for a young budget traveler but otherwise avoid.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business