“A nice little hotel. 良いホテルです。”
Review of Hotel Domstern

Hotel Domstern
Ranked #32 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Asahikawa, Japan
“A nice little hotel. 良いホテルです。”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is quite close to the main station in Cologne and by proxy, quite close to Cologne Cathedral. The staff are extremely friendly and speak English very well. The breakfast was exceptional. The room was a little hot but not too bad if you open the window. Next time I visit Cologne (and I shall) I will book for Hotel Domstern again.

ケルン駅やケルン大聖堂に近くてとても便利な場所に位置。
スタッフはとても優しく、英語を流暢に話します。
朝食はとても美味しかったです。
真夏中に行きましたので、部屋は少し暑かったが、窓を開けたら大丈夫でした。
また泊まりたいと思います。決して豪華なホテルではありませんが、ちょっと限られた予算で旅している人にオススメです。

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This little hotel is tucked into a residential quarter just north of the main train station in Cologne, so very easy to get to. Five minute walk to the cathedral, old town and main shopping street. Short metro trip up to the zoo. Clean rooms, extremely friendly and helpful staff, and a good breakfast. A little noisy in the mornings due to the building work going on down the street but that's all we have in terms of criticism. A great little place overall and one I'd strongly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked this hotel when it was rated number 1 in cologne. I was a little shocked when I got there as I don’t think I was a number 1 hotel, though it was very pleasant. Rooms are basic and clean, staff are wonderfully nice and breakfast was brilliant. Only a few issue we had was the bed was not very comfortable and we were only given one pillow each, ( I think it’s a German things as we did find this in Munich too) and also there no air conditioning so on a hot night ( like we had) we were very uncomfortable. Luckily on request we were provided with a fan from the staff. We tried to have the windows open but there was too much noise from the street ( not the hotels fault). We had booked 2 nights in cologne in the middle of our long European holiday to be a bit of a rest and recovery before we made it to the next city but we didn’t really get that as sleep quality here was poor. Location was wonderful though and we asked a taxi to take us there from the train station as we didnt know where we were going, he laughed and said it was close but we insisted. about 30 seconds later we were there!

Room Tip: Maybe a room to the back of the hotel would be quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Domstern for one night in June 2014. The service was very good, the room clean and comfortable, the breakfast options wide ranging and it had a friendly feel. The staff speak very good English (my German's a bit basic!) and there was absolutely no hassle checking in.

The hotel's very close to the station (Koeln Hbf) but one quite a quiet street. It's ideally situated to explore the city, Cathedral, river, etc. It has free Wifi, which is very useful - I do resent having to pay for it at hotels!

A very good experience and somewhere I'd defintiely come back to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here in 2013. Arrived at hotel around 3 p.m. We were switched to their sister hotel which was across the street because they didn't have anymore rooms left. If they didn't have anymore rooms left, why did they accept my reservation and credit card just a few days before?

The rooms from the sister hotel look out to construction all around.. Lots of noise and dust. I was not able to sleep. When I complained to the manager, he said that the sister hotel served the same breakfast (?) I don't go to a hotel just to eat the breakfast. I go to the hotel to get a good night sleep in a clean, quiet, and comfortable room. I did not get any of that!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Gail T
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Had to spend a night in Cologne before going down to Nürburg and could not have picked a better place to stay. Christian showed me to me room and was extremely helpful even helping me book a train ticket saving me about 2 hours of transit! Really appreciate the hospitality!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I know....ignore 5 star ratings, but I really couldn't find anything to fault this hotel. I'm pretty stingy with 5* ratings. Granted, this is not a 5* luxury hotel but it is a great value.

Hotel is a quick walk from the train station. Maybe 5 minutes tops.

Greeted immediately and offered to store bags. Room ready when we returned. Stayed on 3rd floor. There is a lift. Bags were waiting in our room. Chocolates on the bed and two pieces of cake on the desk.

Room was spacious by European standards. Very clean. Comfortable bed. Ample storage for 2 people.

Bathroom was also good. First shower on this trip where water didn't go all over the floor :) good water pressure and hot water.

Breakfast was a delight. Made-to-order scrambled eggs, fresh strawberries, fresh breads. Even a nice selection of homemade puddings. Very, very nice.

Reception very friendly and helpful.

Maybe the only tiny thing is that if you are on the street side then you'll hear noise. But that's not the hotel's fault....we left our window open, but it never woke me up.

I would stay again and recommend to family/friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends