“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Mariposa
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The hosts are wonderful, the breakfast was large and diverse, the location is a 5 minute walk to the Cathedral, Old Town, and the Rheine, and the room was large (I booked a 3 person room even though there were only 2 of us because the hotel was running a terrific special rate for a minimum 3 night stay), clean and quiet. Manfred helped me solve a travel problem. The hosts also have great recommendations for dining in the area. My daughter and I loved this hotel. We definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

This hotel is an absolute gem. I found it on Trip Advisor add would strongly reccommend this hotel to anyone. The staff Manfred & Michael, Heidi, Jork, Ana, Marcel, Sybille, Meira went out of their way to make you feel at home.

We will be back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

This place was exceptional! Rooms are very nicely appointed, staff very friendly and great location on the back side of the train station.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

Just by accident I had to take the Thalys-train from Paris to Cologne (Köln). Bloody expensive. I missed the train and the night in the Hotel Domstern in Cologne. Very politely they sent me an e-mail, telling how worried they were about my no-show. Of course they had to charge a certain % of the room rate. I was amazed by their positive attitude and of course I apologized. On my way back, I wanted to stay with them.
The booker remembered me, gave me a decent room and deducted part of the fee i already paid two weeks before.
The staff was soooo friendly, The breakfast was a surprise: every morning there was a different theme-buffet. And on your table you found a leaflet, telling you what´s going on and what to do in this city full of culture. And kölsch!
I stayed in the smallest and the cheapest room, just opposite the reception. In European way the room was of course very tiny, with no view. But it was very well equipped, and one of the handsome receptionists offered me a portable airconditioner with no charge.
I never saw any other rooms, and at the time they were refurbishing the suites upstairs. Maybe I`d stay up there one day.
If you are looking for a decently priced, gay-friendly, neat, clean and quiet hotel. This is for You.
There´s nothing much going on around the hotel, but just a few blocks away you can find another kind of "everyday-Cologne" with beer-gardens and sausage-stands. And on the Dome-directon just a couple of minutes´ walk away you will reach the best sights and shops of Cologne.
Very good value for your money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Southern Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

Our stay at the Hotel Domstern was wonderful. The service was welcoming. The english-speaking staff was attentive and helped us plan our daily activities. We stayed in a Jr. Suite which was spacious and beatifully decorated. The breakfast was outstanding--lots of homemade and local food--all fresh and tasty. We were an easy 3 block walk from the Koln Cathedral, shopping, and city tour. We took advantage of the hotel's gated and locked parking as street parking was very limited.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Domstern for a few nights recently and chose it because of the reviews and rating here on TripAdvisor. I was not disappointed! It's a wonderful hotel - great location, great staff, great breakfast, great price! The room I stayed in was quite small but perfect for one person. Tastefully decorated with nice little extras. The breakfast was incredible with fresh bread and lots of homemade items! The staff were really friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2010

I stayed at the Domstern last week with two friends for a weekend in the city. The hotel location was nice and central, the rooms nice and clean. What really makes a difference is the little things: - the breakfast buffet with locally made honey and homemade chocolate spread. The staff were great and were helpful in suggesting places to eat and go out. Can't recommend enough

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
manfred100, Owner at Hotel Domstern, responded to this review, 31 May 2010
Dear ceggleton,

As our 100th reviewer let me take this opportunity to thank you and all our guests who took the time to give us their valued feedback!
Of course we are extremely happy that you had a good stay and recommend our place.
And certainly we love those raving responses to our house.
What a success to be number one at tripadvisor for a simple and basic 3 star hotel like us!
But we also appreciate all your suggestions and improvement ideas that help us get even better.
Several of the"little extras" you mentioned in your feedback were proposed by other guests that stayed here before.
So thank you and thanks to every one of the 100 reviewers for helping us further improve our service by letting us know what you think!
Best regards from Cologne,