“Terrible”
Review of Hotel Berg

Hotel Berg
Ranked #227 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I never leave negative feedback, only in "disperates situations" and...it was. The worst hotel of my life. Little and dirty rooms, poor breakfast, staff very helpless and price for quality is absolutely too high. The only good thing is the position, near ti the station and Dom, but really nothing more. Keep far!!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Damiano B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Berg

Reviewed 4 April 2014

OK for just passing through, aftre reading these reviews I was about ready to walk on by and go elsewhere but had already paid through expedia. I didn't have any of the rudeness other people have talked about, but I turned up just needing a break from a long train journey and was just expecting a basic business transaction for a bed and a roof, both of which worked well.

I must have met the famous man with glasses because I spoke to two men with glasses, last night and one this morning. Both were polite enough, one seemed a little depressed.

I expect they don't sleep too well either with the drunk people walking down the street in the night talking loudly into mobile phones - that's not the hotel's fault. I suggest sleep with window closed.

It's a bit worn out in places, if things like showers with a perfect spray pattern and ventilation in the WC are your thing, you might find it hard going. But at the price, it's more comfortable than a night train.

Room Tip: Rooms do seem to be smoking, so suggest go elsewhere if you don't like that. Opening windows wor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Neil B
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel is terrible. When I got there I was informed that they only take cash if the bill is under $100. My bill was $98. I didn’t see this anywhere on the hotels.com page, so I had to go back to an ATM. Then, I was given a room on the 3rd floor, even though the place was deserted, which meant hauling my bags up three flights of stairs. The room smelled musty, was cold, the mattress was hard, and the comforter was paper thin. The bathroom was awkwardly small and not particularly clean with stiff and scratchy towels. The internet is slower than the dial up internet I had twenty years ago. They change the password every single day during a several hour time window. Unlike most hotels that just give you the password for your stay, if you are on the internet here, it will just stop at some point and you have to ask for a new password.

They also have an annoying policy where you to hand in your key when you leave the hotel. I felt like I was under surveillance because every time I passed through the lobby, someone came out from behind the desk to see what I was doing and to make sure that I handed my key in. When I got back to the hotel at 7pm the guy that was working spoke no English and had no idea what I wanted. You’d think that when someone shows up with just a purse and no luggage, he might have inferred that I had already checked in and wanted my key. Even when I wrote down my name and what I thought my room number was and made a hand motion like someone turning a key he had no idea.

When I went out for the day, I put out the “Do Not Disturb” sign. They came into my room anyway. When I called the front desk to complain, he was extremely rude. He made some comments about having to “check the room” before I checked out because I had my dog with me, which made no sense because I was staying another night. Also, he could have told me this and asked to see the room. He asked me what I wanted and I said an apology and he said “I’m not sorry.”

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank 123Lori123
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The beds are too small to sleep on, the towels were thread bare and smelled of mold. Terrible hotel to book if you plan on sleeping and showering. Clerk was rude as well. Just a terrible, terrible place. There is a Marriot across the street that is a nice hotel for only about 20 euros more per night. Cologne is a nice place and the Hotel Berg does not do the city any justice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Good hotel in the centre of Koln , just near the central railway station and the cathedral.
Very small but clean room .
The breakfast was basic but fresh .
I would recomend it mainly because its excelent location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hotel was right where it needed to be for walking to see the sights as well central station to get to one's next destination. Rooms were clean and I found to be comfortable and because of it being located on side street, sleeping came easy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had decided to book a room for 2 nights, a month in advance. All was well, the hotel page was informing me that the credit card details will be used for verification purposes only, so I just finished the reservation and didn't think too much about it. The next day, I was notified that my credit card ( actually a Mastercard debit card) was rejected, even though it was valid and I also had some money on it ( I only transfer money on that when I purchase things, because I don't really trust the security of the web ).
I retried to input my details, but got the same message. After I e-mailed the staff I got some rude response ( in very bad English ) along the lines of : we won't try to bill you again (?!), it seems you are using a prepaid card (?!) and what if I cancel my deposit and they can't get their cancelation fee? After this they suggested that I should cancel my reservation
So 0 effort was made from their side to explain what they were trying to charge, when at the time of the reservation I was informed that nothing will be charged and I will pay at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple