“Just OK”

Ranked #206 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Darwin, Australia
“Just OK”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Well, the hotel is indeed outdated, but I usually don't let that deter me. My biggest complaint was that we got lost trying to find it walking from the central train station. Eventually, we ended up at the front door, and he gracious hostess was waiting for us - we were he last guests to check in, and she waited. The reception closes at 10pm,and the restaurant is where the lift is located. So there is indeed a way up other than stairs (which are somewhat treacherous). The wifi didn't reach the first floor, which was frustrating, but we were only there for one night. Our room was very small, but clean and basic. Especially in light of he fact they are pet-friendly (sometimes that is code for filthy). Breakfast was basic but hot, and the sweet little ladies prepping the food reminded of my German grandmother.

If you are expecting any sort of luxury, don't stay here. But for a basic, simple night's stay, a short walk from the city center and tourism, it is fine.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Southampton UK
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This is the second worst hotel I have stayed in on business but it wins an award because it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in for more than one night.

It is in a central location, the lady on the reception was nice enough and the breakfast was okay (if you like that sort of thing). Okay that's plus points finished.

The sign on the outside of the hotel looks crummy and when you enter the reception you might be fooled into thinking perhaps it is not so bad. But look up the stairs (you will almost certainly be using these as there is no lift) and take a deep breath. And hold that breath as long as you can because there is a nasty smell that pervades the public areas - drains I think.

I was on the third floor (49 steps up, sounds like a John Buchan novel) which gave me ample time to get a good look at the stairs and landing areas - shabby is a word that comes to mind. When I eventually got my bent key to unlock the room I thought I had gone into a cupboard. There was the bed against the wall and by the side was about 0.5m space and no side table. I slept with my phone and netbook for company.

The bathroom is a triumph of filthy minimalism. It was a shower cubicle (dirty on the inside) and a tile missing below, I wonder what species lurked there and then an area slightly wider than a toilet all the way round that contained a toiler and a wash basin - so tiny and no room to put anything.

It must be the tiniest room i have ever stayed in. Okay so let's console my self with a bit of WiFi surfing. Ah the €7.50 wireless internet doesn't reach the dark denizens of the 3rd floor but it works well in the bar, but that is a bit difficult for Skyping with my family.

So you may be wondering just how much this cost. Well let me tell you that it was the week of Medica (in Dusseldorf) so prices give a whole new meaning to the word 'inflation' and I paid €116 per night (Including breakfast) - it would have been overpriced at €11.6.

The hotel needs a total revamp or demolition - awful place.

Actually there is one last plus point. If you walk out of the hotel, turn right then when you hit the main shopping street turn right again and about 30m along (after the pub) is a little bistro bar thing. I ate in here every night and the food was cheap and really okay. The waiter chap (the one with the big moustache) was very pleasant and welcoming. I would have recommended this place highly until the very last part of the last night when I watched, stunned and amused (I have to say) as I saw some mice running around. Without the mice I would have marked it 8/10 but the mice take the shine off it somehow!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank C4LWX

Travellers are raving about these Cologne hotels

Kermt
Reviewed 13 November 2011

If you're looking for an outdated and unhygienic hotel, with seriously unfriendly personnel, than this place is definitely for you!
We discovered a serious blood stain on the bottom of our matrass.
The door frame of the bathroom was broken.
The lower wooden frames inside the bathroom were moldy, probably because of the unhandy shower-curtains, that eventually do nothing to keep the water from spraying all over the place.
And the air-ventilation in the bathroom is a joke I think.

Also, the moment we walked in, we tried to click on the light, but nothing happened.
After a small adventure with our phone-flashlights, we discovered the light bulb wasn't turned in all the way. But still it made me question when the last time that room was prepared/dusted/cleaned.

Yes, it does lie in the middle of the town, but that's about all of the good things I can say about the hotel.

The staff is super unfriendly as well. When I asked for coffee I got a very ironic "yes master, right away". When we then decided to move to a different table, we wanted to take our unused cutlery to our new table. But the woman said something about leaving it where it was, at which time another woman came to the table and just dropped the cutlery she was going to bring to our table and bolted off angrily.
This is NOT how I wish to start my sunday morning on vacation.
In the end, the sandwiches tasted 2 days old. At that point I was just happy the ham hadn't gone bad and the cheese wasn't moldy.

In short: never EVER going back.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here, I bet ANY other hotel in the area is better
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sch3lp
fort lauderdale
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This hotel needs a overhaul of the rooms, hall ways. Needs serious upgrade. My room was extremely small. All they could put in was a bed. No night tables or lights. If you are a large person forget staying in this room. Literally no room.

Shower had a curtains. Which are not very hygenic. The hotel advertises having a WIFI. I could not get online downstairs or the first floor. Ofcourse no air conditioning. This hotel room should not be more than 30e per night. I paid 65e with the taxes.

The only good aspect of this hotel was proximity to main train station and the shops. Pretty central location.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank erdalito
Kings Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2010

This place is a great little place hidden in the centre of the city and everything especially the shopping district is within easy walking distance.

Had all the basics just right for a very cheap price, especially as I booked only 6hrs before I arrive from London by car!

Room was clean quiet and comfortable - dated, but I wasn't expecting the Hilton and they didn't sell it as such so exceptions managed perfectly.

Breakfast was typical continental, not to my personal taste, but they had everything you would expect, service was polite and english spoken by all the staff without any question which was a help to me!

My only disappointment was the poor wi-fi service. It was supposed to be hotel-wide and I was charged 5 euros, but the signal wasn't strong enough for my room, so I ended up having to prop up the bar to get a working signal - when I got that it was fine, and when they enquired why I was down here with my laptop and explained, they refunded my 5 euros without me even having to ask so I didn't feel cheated at all. In this day and age wi-fi is an essential in any hotel for me, so this is something that can be easily and cheaply fixed and I would encourage the hotel owners if they read this review to invest in getting this fixed.

But other than that its a perfect place as a stopover (I am on my way to Prague) and for those looking for a cheap no-frills way to see Koln!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Davey B
BN
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Slap-bang in the middle of town, close to largest shopping areas, great restaurants (and sightseeing), and yet quiet location in a side street. Rooms on the smallish side, but perfectly adequate and clean, breakfast good, but best of all is the personal touch by the friendly staff who seem to be more than happy to give tips as to nearby eateries etc. (Hi Kathi!) I would happily return (and hopefully will next year).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Brussels
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Hotel Arde is very central located: in shopping area, less than 10 min walk from the Dom and Hauptbahnhof.
The (single) room was rather small but good and clean. The breakfast was nice.
Conclusion: a nice hotel for the budget traveller.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo