“New hotel, good stay.”

Courtyard by Marriott Cologne
Ranked #14 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of June, it's a rather big hotel accomodated more for business type of travel. The location is ok, but rather far to walk if you want to go to the Koln center quick. Nice rooms, fresh clean, nice bathroom in a glass (not see through) cubicle, very cosy and light. 2 points of comment : there is no fridge or minibar at the room which is strange, especially for a new hotel and if you are here on business matters. For the same reason, it's also odd that there is no free wifi at the rooms, it's payable per day, not good. Nice check-in by Johannes, very professional and friendly servant person, made you feel welcome. In the lobby there is a small store where you can buy amenities, drinks, small food bowls. Good beds, peacefull night of sleep. If they add a fridge and free wifi, we will surely return!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Cologne

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here at the end of May 2014 and the hotel which is very new, was excellent. Staff were very attentive and price of stay was reasonable. The hotel has a great buffet breakfast. My only gripe - and at some stage I am sure that hotels will realise this - free ,very limited wi-fi in the lobby only is not acceptable. Free wi-fi in the rooms please at no extra charge. Do you charge extra for electricity ?????

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Maybe I set off on my journey with too high expectations for this hotel, but I must be frank and say I was disappointed. The location is quite good, 1 tram station from the Koln Hbf, or about 5-10 min by foot, just beside the hotel there is also a REWE market, so nothing to say about that. Design-wise, the rooms are modern and very nice, great colour combination and glass-wood balance.
The quality of the accessories is very good as well, even if I might have had the miss-fortune to get a sink with a drain-plug issue.
The cleanliness of the room on the other hand left me surprised. I found numerous hair stands from previous guest(s) in both bathroom and room carpet. Also the bed head-piece was dusty, as well as other areas in the room - not extremely bothering (TV top, painting-tops, etc.).
The breakfast left me expecting also... as hot dished, only scrambled eggs, bacon, mini-bratwurst and some (always empty) beans. A selection of salamis and cheese, some yogurt and fruit salad. No vegetables for those who seek some...
It wasn't a terrible experience, but given the price and name to reach-for, I would not repeat this experience, neither recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel M
CGNCYFrontOfficeMgr, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cologne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Daniel M,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your time in Cologne. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I would like to thank you for reviewing the Courtyard by Marriott Cologne.

Providing our guests with an exceptional hotel experience and service is our mission and priority, and we are truly sorry that you left us feeling disappointed. Please be assured that we do take your feedback very seriously. Your observations regarding the room cleanliness as well as the breakfast situation have been shared with our leadership team, and we are working incessantly on improving our service.

If you come back to the Courtyard Cologne, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly an win you back with our improved product.

Best wishes from your Courtyard Team

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night with a couple of friends during my last visit to Koln. The hotel is approximately 10 minutes walking distance from the Old Koln city where the Dom is as well as the Koln Central. The room was great with clean sheets and good pillows for a good night sleep after the long walks around the city. The room had basic amenities- a safe, hot drink making facility, iron and ironing board, hairdryer and basic toiletries. The only downside was that you had to pay an additional €9.50 for wifi usage in the room for 24hours. We managed to get an extended checkout time at 2pm instead of the usual 12pm. I would recommend this hotel for travellers of both business type and holiday makers.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The rooms are bright spotlessly clean with quality interiors. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom new, modern and very practical with a large walk in shower.
The breakfast was very nice and the staff all very efficient and friendly. Our car was too tall for the underground car park but the staff arranged for us to use the front forecourt instead.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel was very quiet, we were on the fifth floor and were not disturbed at all.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The good bits: Rooms are nice - bright, clean with quality fittings and they have included an iron. No complaints about the bed either - so often the bed in even new decent hotels can be rubbish but I slept well here. Breakfast was also pretty good - its the standard buffet but of course being Germany you get better bread! Seems to be a really good 4 star option for the city.

Bad bits: My room smelled of smoke (not their fault of course but cleaners should pick up on this) - handled efficiently by moving me to another room so no problem. There is also no free wifi - funny how that is one of those things that always annoys customers. Regardless of whether you are a business traveller or a tourist this is just one of those things that is expected these days.

Fot the money that I paid, I would likely stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights in May, as it's a new Marriott and we're members. It's a nice hotel. Very clean and exactly what you expect of a 4 star hotel. Nice room, good bed & nice bathroom. Staff was very friendly too.

Only minor con is the limited parking space in the underground garage. Bu the staff was helpful here too in letting me park at te front door.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple