“Cheap and convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 56 Cologne B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Cheap and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here for one night during Gamescom at the last minute, as every other hotel in the city was sold out! It's very conveniently located near the main station and the Hilton, where some of my colleagues were staying.

I had a private room, which was tiny but absolutely spotless, bathroom included. I slept very well - the bed was comfortable and the surrounding area almost silent, I didn't hear a peep out of anyone else in the building. Shower in the morning was hot with good pressure. No breakfast offered as far as I know but this wasn't an issue for me; there is also good free wi-fi (more than I can say of the Hilton!) so that was good also.

The front desk attendant was polite and very helpful; all in all excellent value for money if you need a room on the cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AET_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have to start by saying I had high hopes for the hotel; it didn't have air conditioning but upon entering the room it was clean and looked very nice. The front desk isn't there 24/7- they leave around 8pm so after that time there is only a night-watch person which you have to get a hold of by going to the hotel front door and pressing a buzzer. Unfortunately we found out that the one bed in our room was broken after the desk had left. With only 1 double bed and 3 people that was going to pose a problem. We contacted the night-watch person who is absolutely no help; we tried a second time and he basically told us to sleep on the couch. That wasn't really an acceptable response. I contacted home (free-Wifi) and I had someone email and I emailed as well with a plea for help. About 25 minutes later the front clerk came back and he gave us an additional single room with another bed. Problem solved. It's a little frustrating to have to worry about that though. The front desk clerk was really helpful and very nice.

The walk to the hotel from the central station is about 10 minutes and there are 2 grocery stores within 5 minutes from the hotel making this a really economical option.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the beds out before the front desk clerk leaves just in case.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wonderguest
Cologne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

The room is just ok and clean enough. The location is not so clear at the website since they have three different hotels in one city. But it is near the central station this is convenient. However the service is not so good because they do not have front dest reception.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Cheng S
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay and the standard is still the same. I was later than manned check in but got my key easily. The rooms have basic cooking facilities and a fridge. They do try to make the place welcoming and the location is great. Very close to the centre, central train station, and also supermarkets etc.

• Stayed July 2012
Mersch, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed in that hostel a while ago (June 2008), but still have good memories to it. It is situated quite close to the centre of Cologne and I did everything by walking.

Welcoming was very friendly when I arrived there and I liked my room very much. Although no service is included, for that price compared to that of hotels where service is included, it is a very good price-value relation.

In every room is a little kitchenette, so cooking can easily be done by oneself. All crockery is provided by the hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Late (I assume) arrival procedures (10 pm) were unusual. You ring the outside door bell. A man tells you to come in and wait for the pay phone inside to ring. You go in. The pay phone rings. You are given a code to open a safe where the key is located. Of course, the safe did not work for me the first time. So I had to stand there and hope the phone might ring again. It did eventually and further instructions given. I speak German fluently so it was not down to language errors or anything like that. The room itself was fine. But I never managed to set eyes on a member of staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Europe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

This was our second stay in the Storch II. Probably the best aspect of the hotel is the location - 10 min. walk to the train station, close to the river, entertainment area, U-Bahn right around the corner. Close following was price - seemed to be the cheapest offered by hotel.info - it was a shock that prices doubled on the weekend, however that seemed to be standard for the other accommodation I checked. Seemed to me to be a Pension in the classic German sense, more on the impersonal side, perhaps catering to long term patrons (how often do you get a room with a built-in range?) We had rooms 6 and 13, both twins. I'm not particularly picky - the room seemed sufficiently clean and perfectly functional (it could have certainly used more than one switched light tho.) Both rooms were rather small, 13 on the top floor had no space for 2 bags - it was built into the roof. 13 is quiet and light, 6 is darker with street noise. The service was correct but not particularly friendly (I'm fluent in German.) Did find it rather unusual when the roomboy knocked on the door @ 11, we requested he come back in 15 minutes and he said now, take it or leave it. Then we saw him working on the lower floors when we left. As for the neighborhood, perhaps it would be rough for some, however for us it was a classic German bar area where we felt at home - steer around the broken glass and drunks and jump right into an atmospheric bar. The market open until midnight right across the street was a winner. Also free wifi, reasonable strength in both rooms.
We probably won't return after our 4-day stay because there was something my partner was allergic to in the room. (Synthetic duvet? Air freshener?) Seems to be loads of accommodation in the area, many not listed with the hostel sites.

Room Tip: Lower floors are certainly noisier - rooms on the top floor are smaller.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple