“Old school German charm will bring me back~!”

Kaiser am Wienerplatz
Ranked #207 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Puchong, Malaysia
“Old school German charm will bring me back~!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Actually stumbled across this hotel by luck whilst searching for reasonably priced accommodation for my short business trip to Cologne. Initially i had no qualms with whatever i will face with such reasonable price. But once i got to the Hotel, i must say i am really impressed with... almost everything. The overall hotel ambience and presentation, particularly the Dining room, is one of the best i've seen and experienced. My room is nicely sized and clean with very comfortable beds. Although there's free parking spaces for guests within the Hotel, they're limited. But not to worry as they have access to a bigger parking area nearby which is accessible anytime, albeit they're at EUR3.00 per access. In any case, this small setback nothing as compared to what you get for what you pay. I recommend this hotel to anyone. I know i'll be staying there the next time i come over to Cologne...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank bvc100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

I was running the second World Homeshare Congress and booked several delegates into the hotel - we were all impressed by the care and comfort of the hotel - nothing was too much trouble. It was a brilliant hotel, good value, and lovely experience.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the rooms above the breakfast room!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Elizabeth M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

1.The standard double room is too small.
2.Our key card did not work properly.
3.No mini bar in the room.
4.No parking available for all of the guests...just for the first 6:(

• Stayed April 2011
Karlsruhe, Deutschland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

We are staying at the Kaiser every two years for an exhibition. Actually the only reason why we are there (even though we are absolutely not satisfied and happy with it) is that it is only two tram stations away from "Köln Messe" and so we only have a short ride to and from the halls.
Rooms: Very small. The walls are extremely thin, the beds worn out and everything is quite outdated. The bathrooms are in the late 80's style. Some rooms are said to be renovated but I did not have the luck to get one so far. Something funny: Allthough they seem to be very tight with everything that costs money in the hotel, they are always replacing the one or two times used soap in the bathroom. Once you come back in the evening you have to open a new one.
Equipment of the rooms is different. Some have mini fridges (empty), some have ironing boards (and some others even irons to come with it). All in all the rooms are kind of dark and musty. At least in the rooms facing the street it is very noisy even though they sport kind of double-window systems (with a lot of dead flys and dust in between)
They advertise e.g. on booking.com "Free Wifi all over the buidling". The reality is that they have one single router next to the reception.... So better forget about that.
Breakfast: Large variety but we already had to experience that it is wise to check what you are eating (Best before dates, etc.)
Bar: they have a strange bar in the basement. Interior is in the style of a french 19th century bordello.

All of this you can get during major exhibitions for incredible 180 EUR per night!!!
Oh yes, and the verbal diarrhea of the owner, when you are waiting for your colleagues in the morining comes for free.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Benson1976

Travellers are raving about these Cologne hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

We stayed here as part of a whistle stop tour of some European cities.
When we arrived the owner greeted us outside and helped us with our cases. He was very chatty and friendly. He apologised that the downstairs bar would not be open that day as it was the May day holiday.
We stayed in the hotel due to it's proximity to a concert we were attending that evening.
The rooms were lovely, very traditional in style and lots of wood! We found them to be very comfortable and clean, although slightly cramped.
The hotel is quite far away from the city centre, although it is very close to the U-Bahn and S-Bahn station.
We very much enjoyed our time in Cologne, most of us agreeing it was our preferred city out of 5 that we visited.
The breakfast in the hotel is to die for! Never had I seen such a range of products to choose from - everything from traditional cereals, meats and cheeses that you would expect to find on a continental breakfast buffet; through to herring, chocolates, biscuits, sweets, every possible jam, marmalade, chocolate spread, etc! Thank goodness we only stayed one night otherwise we would all have come home a stone heavier at least!
Highly reccomended hotel for the staff and breakfast, only let down by it's location. Would definately choose to stay again if I was travelling to Cologne!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ModVixen
Damascus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

I was in business trip to Cologne and I made my booking in this 4 stars (??) hotel through the internet; with hotel photos, everything seems good. But when I arrived to the hotel at around midnight, I was disappointed of the very poor entrance and reception. There was an old man identified himself as a night guard with poor English speaking, hw show me my room which was terrible; very poor bed, unclean bathroom, no minibar, no safe box, very small TV and uncomfortable furniture. I was wondering how this hotel is rated as 4 stars. Well, I had to accept because i know that my booking was on non-refundable basis, but when I asked for internet connection, he told me it is not available as they have problem in the connection. Since i was in business trip, i could not accept that because i was in bad need to the connection to check my important emails. I asked him to let me talk to any staff on duty, he told me nobody available. I tried to explain to him that i cannot stay without internet connection and this facility is mentioned in the hotel information, he said that nothing can be done. It was impossible to go around searching for a place to check my emails because the time late and extremely cold outside. I told the man that i will cancel the booking but they have no right in this case to charge me because it is not my fault and he said ok. Then i left and went to another hotel with big disappointment. When i returned back home, i wrote to the hotel explaining what happened, but i was also astonished of the bad language and the disrespectful reaction by the replied staff who ended his email by saying: we are not going to return your money back and we don’t need to write or speak about this matter.
In simple words, this hotel is just for wasting time and money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank DamascusPilotsky
Lynn, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

This family-owned and operated hotel was a great find! My fellow teammates at the Gay Games all stayed in fancy downtown hotels and were jealous once I told them what I had, at 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost of their rooms. Don't expect the amenities or the roomsize of those larger hotels. But, in their stead, you find clean rooms, free WiFi, a great full-breakfast (eggs, sausage {of several varieties}, bacon, yogurt, fruit, cereal, pastries, veggies, granola, etc., in a lovely diningroom. You will be attended to by pleasant and knowledgable employees, and if you're lucky you'll be able to strike up a wonderful conversation with the owners, which I did several times. While catching up on my emails in the conference room, I would look up and there one of them would be, ice cold beer in hand for me and a big smile. The public transportation system from Wienerplatz is a breeze: 3 stops (5 min.) and you're downtown. Within walking distance are tons of small local shops and restaurants. No mall atmosphere here. The rooms need some updating, and the WiFi isn't reliable on the seoncd floor, but those are minor inconveniences, and are being remedied as I type. Staying here made my time in Cologne a wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo