“Overpriced Hotel”

Altstadthotel Lowenbrau
Ranked #156 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here for 02-nights (15 & 16-Feb'13). My room was like a rat hole. Though I had requested for a single occupancy room, but when I am paying Euro 51 per night, I atleast expect to be able to stretch my hands without touching the walls. The website says very close to the Cathedral, but in fact its a 15-minute walk ,and should you have luggage its more painful.
Website is completely misleading. When I went for breakfast on the morning of 16-Feb'13, there were no boiled eggs available in the container. When I pointed this out, I was answered in a high handed manner "finished", as if he had to lay eggs to get me one. I met only one person (a waiter) who could speak fair English. Rest were all sign language stuff and broken English. If this hotel is not for English speaking people, then they should make that clear.
I felt cheated.
Will never come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all cost. You have a wide choice for hotels in Cologne
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The mistake we made is that we didnt know it was Carneval. I mailed with the hotel several times to cancel the booking or to change dates, but nothing was possible. So we did go. When we arrived it turned out that the money was already withdraw from my creditcard. The room was ok but nothing fancy at all, totally not worth the 135 euro we payed for one night without breakast.
At nine in the evening we came back to the hotel and we were SHOCKED! The hotel has a restaurant downstairs that turned into a club! People were drinking, smoking and dancing everywhere and the music was extremely loud. We almost couldnt get into our room, it was like reaching a bar in a disco club at midnight.
Untill 4 am there was music with a very loud beat, like you were sleeping in a house with a big party downstairs.
The next day we saw the staff of the hotel and they didnt even apologise. Then in the evening the whole thing started again, we had to push ourselves trough the crowds to get into our hotelroom!!
We are a young couple so we can take some noise but this was totally not normal. We understood that it was Carneval but why would you give such a disco party in your hotel??
And the thing was that I coulndt get any money back because I'd already paid...

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank claire1290
Reviewed 16 December 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank E H
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Good points:
The continental breakfast buffet was nice enough, with bread, cold meats, cold cheeses, fruit, cereal and the usual beverages.
Our room was clean and the bed comfortable, and had a massive television! The bathroom was also clean and a good size.
We were able to leave our luggage locked up in the luggage room, both before we could check in and after we'd checked out.
The best part about the hotel was the wonderful restaurant on the bottom floor! It is really beautifully decorated, with framed pictures covering the walls and a cosy atmosphere lit by fairy lights and candles - very Christmassy. The food is traditionally German (as far as we could tell!), decently priced and delicious.

Bad points:
My biggest disappointment was that our 'double room' had two single beds pushed together. I asked if they had any double beds available, and was told they did not.
Also, the room had an ash tray inside and smelt very slightly smoky, but because the room was well cleaned, the smell was only sometimes noticeable.
The hotel interior was very plain and quite 'budget' in appearance, and the corridor outside our room smelt slightly because there were WC doors directly on the corridor. Reception was nothing but a small office room at the top of the restaurant stairs.
The staff were rather brusque, but we put it down to 'Germanness'. Nevertheless, they were generally helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 17. It was basic but large, with a huge TV but two single beds instead of one double bed...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliet L
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The hotel is on the west bank of the Rhine and is a 5 minute walk from the main station and the Cathedral.On my arrival the Reception staff spoke good English and gave me the option of paying in cash or by card.
The room was comfortable and contained the necessaries,though my(sole use)toilet was in the hall,which I knew when I booked.
There is a bar(open till 3am every night) and a restaurant with a large outdoorarea,heated if needed.I had one meal in the resto which was good but pricey compared to others locally.Great decor though
Staff were friendly.Buffet breakfast was much as you would expect but included in the price,and you get a great view of the river.
A couple of minor quibbles.One rickety chair and some noisy,squeaky doors,but all in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cologne,as I was,for the first time and wishing to take in the city centre in a couple of days.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2012

3 minutes walk from main train station,
On arrival at 11.30pm we were welcomed and given keys to room.
Bar, restaurant open till 3am...
rooms were adequate as only single travellers but had double beds in all 3.
bathroom clean
breakfast in morning was good.

Room Tip: it is quiet all around
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Great value, location, service with nice view to Rhein in central Cologne. Very good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple