“I would say 2.5 stars”
Review of Star am Dom

Star am Dom
Ranked #217 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The location Is good, walkable to cathedral and train station but the room wasn't cleaned and the maid didn't cleaned the room properly each day that we stayed there. And she has changed our bed sheets once since we checked in and we stayed there about 8 nights. I understand it's 3 stars but I didn't expected 1 stars service either.It wasn't that cheap either. We paid about 250 a night. I wouldn't go back there again though. That was painful!!!

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 16 August 2012

First the positives - it is near to the train station and the cathedral. Sadly the rest is negative. I stayed in the triple room with my wife and daughter. It was on the 3rd floor. The lift only takes two persons at a time and so we carried our luggage up the stairs. The triple room was a very cramped room, there was a (small) double bed, not the advertised King bed, and a single bed - the safe was on the table behind an armchair, and under the sloping roof - so difficult to access. I hit my head on the roof several times. There was no air conditoning and so we slept with the windows open on a very warm night - the area was noisy from traffic and we were woken by very loud church bells around 7am. The breakfast was at best average. The downstairs of the hotel appears to be well appointed and in the style of a boutque hotel, but that is where the luxury ends. The rooms do not match this image once upstairs. A disappointment and possibly the worst hotel I have stayed in for the price tag.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Calv2002
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I've just returned from an 8-day holiday visit to Cologne, staying at the Star am Dom and I'm pleased to recommend this hotel.

One review says that the hotel is 10 minutes away from the Hauptbahnhof / Dom on foot : this seems too much as I think that you could easily do it in 5 minutes ! Of course, the first time you try to find any hotel the first time it always takes longer than when you find your way around.

I had a single room which, although small, was clean and perfectly acceptable with a comfortable bed and a well-equipped bathroom with a full-size shower cubicle (sometimes too small for comfort in some German hotels if you are 6 feet or above). The hotel also provided free wifi with perfectly acceptable speed and reliable connection. The large flat-screen TV had all the German channels, BBC World, CNN, Deutsche Welle (which has quite a number of programmes in English), as well as channels in French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Dutch, Arabic (I think) and Chinese.

Another reviewer commented on the rooms being hot and fans not being available : my room already had a multi-speed pedestal fan in it when I arrived.

It's true that the hotel faces a busy road in a cutting, but my room faced away from the road and - even though I'm a very light sleeper - I had no problems sleeping even with the window open every night.

Breakfast was excellent with orange juice / apply juice / lemon tea, good coffee, several cereals, fruit salad, a good selection of cheeses and cooked meats and rolls as well as boiled and fried eggs.

The hotel has a lounge / bar, but I didn't use this during my visit.

The reception staff were all very pleasant and had good English, though I didn't need to rely on this as I have reasonable German. I did overhear them helping English-speakers and the information and directions they gave seemed accurate and comprehensive. When I checked in, I was given a city map with my room key, without having to ask if they had one.

I can't comment on checkout involving payment, as I had already paid my room bill using hotels.com : but it took reception only a couple of minutes to confirm that I didn't have anything else to pay and they were happy to keep my luggage in a locked room near reception until I called back to collect it after lunch for my departure to Düsseldorf airport. This is easy to get to as it's just over an hour away by S-bahn 11 (currently € 10.40 single) from the Hauptbahnhof to the airport terminal.

I'd be perfectly happy to stay here again as and when I am next in Cologne, either on holiday or on a business trip.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, a room facing away from the road in front of the hotel might be preferab...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Phil_in_Stoke
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during a business trip to Germany, Excellent accomodation and good breakfast. Very clean. Friendly and efficient staff. Will stay there again on next trip to Koln.
Better to get directions from the hotel when booking. Google map directions will send you the wrong way !!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony T
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed here during a trade show. Was a bit dubious about staying here based on online reviews, but it's a good 3 star hotel hotel. The rooms are small but modern and the bathrooms are new and a good size. The staff are great and extremely helpful. Nice bar and free wifi throughout. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Sillerolyat
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here with 2 friends as a 2 night stopover on way back to Scotland.Hotel is 10 minute walk from main train station and close to Dom,shops and restaurants/bars.Rooms are small but clean with en suite facilities.Breakfast offers good selection and good value at 5euros if not included with room.Staff were very friendly and helpful with good advice on anything asked concerning hotel or where to visit or how to travel around city.
Hotel rooms at front can be noisy as situated on main road and lift is very small so probably not best suited for older people or families.However perfect for small groups on a budget especially if arriving by train.

Room Tip: rooms at front are noisy due to being on main road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed here with my family during half-term whilst I was working in Cologne. We had a 4-bed room which was adequate, and very good value, with comfortable beds, but that's all really. Bar and breakfast rooms nicely appointed but rooms themselves are very basic. Would recommend if you are on a budget, but I suspect there are better hotels for not much more in Cologne.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family