“Simple, economical, clean and central.”

SKADA-City Colln Hotel
Ranked #185 of 261 Hotels in Cologne
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Simple, economical, clean and central.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had read the reviews on this hotel, and most were varying - some said good, some said bad. I didn't know what to expect, but I was optimistic.

The hotel is centrally located just on the east side of the railway bridge, so the main city is a mere 10-15 min walk away, or Cologne Mezze/Deutz railway station is opposite the hotel for trams, DB ICE and regional services; all very convenient if you are using the train in Germany or for airport connections.

The hotel was wonderful and a bargain! It was very clean, the staff very friendly and the place appeared to be warm, cosy and well maintained.

The rooms may be a little basic but for this price, I was more than happy. I paid £165 for 3 nights. You cannot argue with that in the centre of a city! Some people may argue the interior is a little dated (I prefer the term 'European Retro'!) BUT it was very well maintained, immaculate in fact, almost as if no-one had used the room before me. Oh, and there was only one power point in the room which was by the door. However, this wasn't an issue for me, plus I had taken a 3-way adapter with me!

I would recommend this hotel and should I visit in Cologne again, I will stay here.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 26 which was facing the street. The street itself is quiet but it is near a main ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Serbian first
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Only giving 3 points because is cheap and the location is good, close to the Coln Mestre (not Coln Hbf). So it is the perfect choice if you want to depart the city early in the morning. The room is not clean and poorly furnished. The bathroom is not comfortable too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our hotel room was comfortable and nice and we could just rest quietly at the night. The bathroom was a bit dark and we found some things left by the previous guests in the night drawer. We just left them there and I wonder if it will be there the next time we get there. For the breakfast the buffet is the best choice. The hotel is really close both to the train and to the U-Bahn stations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt am Main
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The whole hotel stinks like an old ashtray and the rooms are super dirty! There is fungi everywhere in the bathroom (room 31/double) and the carpet looks like someone just died there. The bathroom door wouldn't close and the janitor was not able to fix it. Hello privacy!!!
As a flightattendant I travel a lot and have no problem whatsoever to stay in small, nonstar hotels but I defenetly can not stand dirt!
The only "plus" is the closeness to Köln Messe.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Schlanklori

Travellers are raving about these Cologne hotels

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Avoid this place, unless you knows what you are doing. Some of the room is just simply small, dirty, and smelly (Room 43). When I booked, I have insisted on getting bigger room, but they are still giving me the small, smelly, and dirty room. All other rooms were empty, and some of which is nicer, but they were keeping it for some reason (although 5 rooms were available when I book it). I have been there for at least 3 years in a row (for 5 days at a time), and the room they gave me is smaller and smaller. So much for being loyal customer.

Room Tip: Avoid Room #43 at all cost.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank George B
Pleboulle, France
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Spacious room, clean, big bathroom, comfortable bed, friendly staff. On arrival we were given a welcome drink- Koln made beer in the hotel bar. Very close to the city center, by taxi we payed 6 euro, by walking it will take about 15min.

Room Tip: If you travel by car, ask hotel staff to explain you where is the car park, i think it was 5 euro pe...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have chosen this hotel because it was close to Tanzbrunnen.
We were placed in a smoking room though we requested a non-smoking room, for me it was very disappointing.
We didnt have breakfast there instead we had it at the bio shop Dennys which is close to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple