“A MUST stop when visiting Cologne's City Center!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Frueh am Dom

Frueh am Dom
Ranked #31 of 2,374 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Drinks, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A MUST stop when visiting Cologne's City Center!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Frueh is worth strong consideration when visiting Cologne (Koeln). Frueh serves up absolutely fantastic food in their restaurant and are particularly known for their locally produced Koelsch beer (bier) that's been a tradition in Cologne for centuries! The outdoor seating (with tables) makes for a beautiful setting to enjoy your meal or just to stop to quench your thirst. Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Authentic beer hall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Pros: authentic, quality traditional German food with huge portions, fast service, huge, good location near the dom

Cons: waiters can be rude, particularly once you'd finished your food

Conclusion: really enjoyable place either for just a drink or some food.

Visited May 2014
Moscow, Russia
“Place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend was looking for place to drink some local beer and taste local food. So we came here. Good atmosphere, friendly smily staff. New portions of beer coming fast. The only thing my man not like its small portion of beer, only 0,2) food portion big, for two persons ok. Outside of brewery nice fontain and view to main place of interest.

Visited May 2014
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Not Good Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had lunch at this brauhaus. They had a huge sign advertising the Spargel Week! I was looking forward to the Spargel Cream Soup, so I was enthusiastic. I cannot express how disappointing this was! The soup came out in an extremely small bowl (more like cup), but that was a good thing, because it was horrible. I expected this to be the lovely silky creamy soup that I have experienced in several restaurants during Spargel season. But it was nothing more than an INSTANT soup mix with a bit of Spargel cut up in it! It was so salty, tasted completely fake, made me so sad that I had ordered this horrible soup! I ate a few bites, as I was hungry and this was lunch! But I could not eat more. My husband a sausage with mashed potatoes and saurkraut. He liked it ok, it was nothing special, but not bad. A friend with us had Tuna Salad. It also was underwhelming, but ok. (He shared his pepper slices with me, thankfully!) They also ordered a beer, I mean it is a Brauhaus, right? It was the smallest beer I have ever seen! 0.2 liter! They liked it ok, but just surprised that was the only size they serve. But what really made me angry was that they charged .50 € for the toillette! Now, I am all in favor of paying for public restrooms, the little bit they charge insures, usually a nice clean restroom, but at a restaurant where you have just (attempted) to eat a meal, I don't think that is right. That is when I realized this is just nothing but a tourist spot and not a real restaurant. So fine, charge for using the restroom, but for paying guests, couldn't they give a token or just excuse them from paying? I don't know. But I gave a rating of two, one for the "clean" restroom and one for making room for a whole section to accommodate a large group of tourists (at least 30) in wheelchairs! They seemed to enjoy it, and I hope they had a good lunch!

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank TexasEll
London, United Kingdom
“Hearty German fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had the Schweinehaxe which is roast pork knuckle with roast potatoes and coleslaw - the only way to describe this is proper heart attack food that you won't want to experience for another year but it is worth it. The pork was fatty and flavoursome and the potatoes wonderfully flavoured. Definitely only to be done once in a holiday but... when in Cologne!

• Visited April 2014