“Interesting concept, doesn't work when it's busy”

Mongo's Restaurant Koln
Ranked #100 of 2,675 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$13 - US$31
Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Deutz
Description: Mongo's is pure cross-culture and the most extraordinary catering experience for explorers and individualists. Create your dishes as you like. Always new, always different. In the Mongo's you are the head of the kitchen!! With our all-you-can-eat-classic "Mongo's Total" you can taste and combine endlessly! Combine to your heart's content the ingredients at our buffet, the Mongo's Food Market, for your individual meal as often as you want. Choose to each course one of our diversified home-made Mongo's marinades: from European mild to Asian fiery hot, pure vegan or vegetarian, always gluten-free or free of glutamate - it's your choice: there is something for everyone! Our chefs prepare your selection quick and gentle right in front of your eyes. And shortly after that your meal will be served at your table with a portion of rice. Alternatively to Mongo's Total you can also choose à la carte from our different Asian main dishes. And in many restaurants we also offer Mongo's Select for guests with less hunger endless tasting, but you only pay what you consume.
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Why would I want to queue 10mins for my food, and that multiple times? Also, the food wasn't cooked properly when we first got it, and it clearly gets mixep up a bit which is bad for vegetarians or people allergic to certain foods (I found shrimp in mine which I definitely hadnt chosen). Service was hit and miss, too

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've been to some Mongolian BBQs and I wasn't too impressed with this one. It was really just okay. The service when I went was absolutely awful. It was really busy so that may have been the reason (we had to ask the waiter several times to bring us our drinks and to ask if we could order and he was quite rude). What I did think was cool in comparison to the other Mongolian places I ahd been to was that there were a lot more choices of meat, even game meat (kangaroo, crocodile, etc. etc.) The thing I didn't like is that they load up on the sauces to the point where it is a bit overwhelming. Again, this is not indicative of what the restaurant is like but was my experience.

1  Thank Find Yourself F
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We visited Mongo's after a day of sightseeing that culminated with a visit to the Panorama KölnTriangle, where Mongo's is located. We could smell the cooking from the top of the tower, so it was nice to come down and sit on the patio. Our waiter was very pleasant and explained the concept and pricing to us in english. We had been walking all day and decided to get the "total Mongo's," which allowed us unlimited visits to the ingredients buffet. Because we sat outside, we did not see how big the buffet was, and we were surprised to find atleast 30 different vegatable choices and 20 meat choices available, including elk, rabbit, beef, chicken, pork, kangaroo, crocodile, octopus, shrimp, crab, squid rings, mahi-mahi, etc. We tried most of the different sauces, including BBQ, green curry, thai lobster, kids sauce, curry pinapple, and did not try one we didn't like. The bowls that you put your ingredients into is a decent size, but once the food cooks down, it will be about 1/2 the volume of what you put in it.

While the server was very attentive in helping us change our sauces for the next round, drink refills were very slow.

The restaurant was filled with people, but there didn't appear to be a line to have a seat. Most of the patrons were locals, and no one was shy about heading back to the buffet again and again.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

i loved the food! unusual selection of meats and an incredible selection of seafood

Reviewed 14 January 2012

The concept of Mongo's (and I understand there are several of them in Germany) is that you choose a sauce from a menu and then help yourself to "ingredients" from a buffet. These include a wide variety of fish, vegetables and meat - including more exotic varieties such as Kangaroo and crocodile. You then give your selection to one of the chefs who will cook it for you before the waiter brings it back to your table. You can go back for more as many times as you like and you can choose a different sauce each time. But be warned: This is a very busy restaurant and quite noisy. I went on a Wednesday evening which, I was told, was comparatively quiet. If you go at the weekend or when a fair is on I understand booking is essential and even then you may have to be prepared to wait. It was great fun and certainly unusual. The food was also excellent. However, it is not the sort of place I would want to go more than a couple of times a year.

1  Thank Tim E