“This is THE best place to eat in Cologne”
Review of Steakhouse Ponchos

Steakhouse Ponchos
Ranked #76 of 2,401 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$17 - US$30
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt-Nord
“This is THE best place to eat in Cologne”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We saw the tripadvisor ratings sticker on the window and decided to chance a visit to this unassuming basement Argentinian steakhouse. Folks it was amazing and we were fortunate to have the same waiter Antonio who provided and guided us through one of the best eating experiences this traveler has experienced. Go go go! You will be soooo happy!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
“Best Steak, I've ever eaten...”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

As a very reserved reviewer of cuisine in Germany. I can say that hands down, this was the best steak I have ever had in my life. I am well travelled & from the U.S,, I hate admitting that I had a better steak in Germany then my home country as so many German Steakhouses have been huge let downs. I highly recommend the Filetsteak with Gorgonzola Creamsauce... I can't say enough how much this place was worth the money... Great staff,, excellent everything... It's a crime they are not in the top 10 for Cologne restaraunts....

• Visited January 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“If you like steak - this is the place”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My second trip to Cologne and my second trip to Ponchos. I dont know what else to say but the steak is fantastic. Cooked to perfection. The steak is as good as you get anywhere and on par with (better?) Ruths' Chris and Morton's in the US. Waiters are friendly and all speak English well.

• Visited December 2011
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My wife and I visited Ponchos on recommendation. First of all I must say, it is not cheap.....but you get what you pay for.
The waiter, chef and other staff were very pleasant and nothing is too much trouble. The food is in the 5 star category. I had a fillet steak which was probably the best I have ever encountered. Dont be a snob and have the jacket potato with your meal, it is cooked on the open fire and tastes like the ones you had as a child on bonfire night. They also garnish it with garlic and herb butter, basic but brilliant. Excellent wine list, so go and push the boat out and have a meal to remember. Before we left the waiter gave us a warm schnapps each, gratis. Nice touch!

• Visited December 2011
Schiedam, The Netherlands
“Very tasty steaks, service needs a little work”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

If you're a carnivore, this is where you want to go. Rumpsteaks and filetsteaks from 200 to 400 grams, skewers, mixed grill, lambchops, whatever your fix, they have it. Perfectly grilled to taste. The chef manning the grill knows what he's doing.

However, the kitchen staff is only half of the story. If you go out, you want great service too. And everything started out great: phoned in a reservation around 3pm to book a table for 6 at 8pm, no problem. When we arrived we could even pick our table, unusual for a saturday night you'd expect. We opted for a table at the side of the restaurant where a flatscreen TV above the tables was showing a drama series, then football, then boxing. Not for the guests' entertainment but rather for the (bar)staff whenever they had no orders. Strange.

So: the reception was good, food and drinks were ordered swiftly, we were served bread and dips while we waited for our steaks and there were regular checks for more drinks. The music was appropriate and at a nice, soft level, the TV was totally out of place. One mixup in the order (our fault) was corrected immediately and the item was taken from our bill, which was very kind and good service. The service however was lacking again after we had finished our main course and we sat with empty glasses and waiting for a dessert menu for over 10 minutes in an otherwise rather quiet restaurant (8 tables with guests at most). In the end desserts were had, rather standard ice cream options and we settled the bill with a nice tip, although it was mostly for the excellent meat.

Do go there, enjoy your delicious steak, just don't sit anywhere near the (muted) television and be prepared to occasionally flag down your waitress. A little more attention and this would have been a five-starred review.

• Visited August 2011