“traditional food and beer” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 2,346 Restaurants in Cologne
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Gastropub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Neustadt-Süd
Haifa, Israel
“traditional food and beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We visited Brauhaus Putz twice during our stay. We noticed Brauhaus Putz had good reviews on trip advisor so decided to giveeat there, and we are very glad we did!

Food was delicious, portions were enormous and very well priced! Atmosphere was warm and welcoming with a very German feel.

Will definitely visit again on our next trip to Cologne and would recommend for anyone else to try!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ayellet Y

“Very unfriendly service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

The service is very unfriendly, even refused to offer the password of the wifi. We will never recommend this one and never come again.

London, United Kingdom
“Not as Good as the Reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Thought I'd give this a try on a recent trip to Cologne, it looked right up my alley with phrases such as great hearty food and gastropub, I'm not quite convinced.

Having read the reviews I expected a somewhat warmer welcome, but then it was just me so perhaps I'm not really a tip heavy target audience. After wandering around for a couple of minutes I found myself a high table near the door.

The decor of the place is quite nice although the outside wouldn't win any awards, neither would the mob of homeless drinking outside the Rudolfplatz metro stop, the nearest to the bar.

Once settled I was immediately given a very small beer (the tradition in these places), the waiter spoke English and they had a menu in english which was very helpful as I have very little german.

The food was mainly traditional german with sausages, schnitzels and lots of pork and I went for the recommended pork chop with fried potatoes. I didn't like it, the pork was quite undercooked to the point where I gave up trying to find parts I could eat. The fried potatoes were just grease and burnt onion, the quality in general was pretty low in my opinion. I couldn't really eat the soggy coleslaw that came with it or the poorly dressed salad.

Right, I thought, time for a german classic, Apple Strudel with cream, again rather disappointing, I had visions of a dessert akin to the one the baddy has in Inglorious Basterds, instead I had a very soggy strudel, flavourless out of a can whipped cream, with far too much cinnamon sprinkled over it.

The beer was excellent, the service ok but the food was for me a complete let down, shame but you win some, you lose some, I'll still be trying out places recommended by Tripadvisor.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Phatbloke
Milan, Italy
“Very Good Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been there for dinner, it's a traditional place very nice and plesant. I have tasted a simple Schnitzel with salad and fried. Beef was very good and vegetables also. If you like the local standard beer they take you all the time also without asking. Price very affortable, plate and two beer € 13,90, very good. A nice place where to spend a dinner or an evening. Nex time I'll be there again.

• Visited March 2014
paris
“A place for adults only”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went there with 4 kids on a quiet Saturday for lunch... and we had to wait for more than 1 hour to have our simple dishes served.. Despite us being amongst the only 4 tables in the restaurant. Obviously, the owner wanted to serve first a large table composed of a bachelor party... and made absolutely no effort to accomodate us.
The food was okay and cheap - nothing to chant home about though.

• Visited April 2014